EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 2010, 08:31 PM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

FastMail storage increase?

I noticed this morning that the storage capacity of my free FastMail "Guest" account has been increased from 10MB to 25MB, but there is no announcement of this change on the homepage log of recent service changes or in the "What's New" blog. Even stranger, the description of service levels on the pre-signup "Learn More" page still shows the old capacity of 10MB. I'm glad they've done this, but isn't a bit odd that they did it without saying so and without posting the news anywhere? Was it maybe an unintended glitch of some sort? Have all the free accounts received storage bumps? How about the other service levels? Is it a good sign that they have made this generous gesture even though there will now be less incentive for free account holders to upgrade, or is the way it was done (with no announcement and no updating of the service grid) a sign of incipient sloppiness?

Old 28 May 2010, 08:44 PM   #2
B4its2L8
Master of the @

The ad-free account has also been increased from 50 to 100 mb.
Old 28 May 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
shenton
Essential Contributor

And enhanced has gone up from 8gb to 10gb!
Old 28 May 2010, 10:01 PM   #4
kinetic
Essential Contributor

I have a member account (the one with one time fee) but did not get any storage increase.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
apl

The family accounts have increased too, the Lite 50 mb is now 200 mb, the Everyday 600 mb is now 800 mb and the Superior 6GB is now 8GB.

The pop-up menu in the family account where you can create or upgrade users has been changed to reflect the new sizes, so I guess that they are still playing catch up with the help screens.

Last edited by apl : 28 May 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Found out some more information
Old 28 May 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Full account allocation seems to have gone up from 8 to 10 GB.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:55 PM   #7
ankupan

its really good.

I think, they should show here also.

https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/personal.html
Old 28 May 2010, 11:26 PM   #8
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
I noticed this morning that the storage capacity of my free FastMail "Guest" account has been increased from 10MB to 25MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
I have a member account (the one with one time fee) but did not get any storage increase.
This is exactly what's happened to me; my Guest account now has 25Mb storage and 80Mb bandwidth, but my Member account is unchanged at 16Mb/80Mb. One strange upshot is that, in terms of capacity, my Guest account is now superior to my Member account for the first time! Perhaps if I get the Member account "downgraded" to Guest?...

I suppose that since the Member accounts are no longer available for new customers, they got overlooked by Opera.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:49 PM   #9
akorvemaker
Master of the @

My Everyday account has not increased. Maybe they're in the midst of rolling it out?

Edit: Ignore me. I was looking at File storage for some bizarre reason. Sorry.

Last edited by akorvemaker : 1 Jun 2010 at 03:19 AM.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:51 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post

I suppose that since the Member accounts are no longer available for new customers, they got overlooked by Opera.
I doubt it, reading between the lines (of many past threads) my thoughts are that Fastmail wish to be rid of this account level for good. It's a far cry from 10 years ago, when member level was hyped and touted as the 'way of the future' for those folk, with only normal email needs

In retrospect, it was an easy way of raising money I guess......
Old 29 May 2010, 01:43 AM   #11
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
My Everyday account has not increased. Maybe they're in the midst of rolling it out?
They must be, as I noticed the increase when I logged in the morning ~7AM EST.
Old 29 May 2010, 05:51 AM   #12
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

10 GB, big deal. Who really needs 10GB of mail data? I want more file space Or let me use the 10GB the way I want and allocate it to my files.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:08 AM   #13
ozar

Yeah, mail storage increases are nice, but I'm wondering if file storage limits will increase as well?
Old 30 May 2010, 01:49 AM   #14
EdinwolfPA

I am sure the only reason that Fastmail/Opera increased the Mail storage space was because it was a "gift" and they changed the pricing policy for added additional space to a yearly fee.

I would be surprised if file storage was increased by Fastmail/Opera without having to pay for it

I would like to have the ability to allocate storage space between mail/file but doubt it will happen anytime soon

David
Old 30 May 2010, 02:42 AM   #15
ehlo

About time. Using 700MB/8GB so I was getting worried :P

But any increase is good
Closed Thread