EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Apr 2009, 09:05 PM   #16
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I'll have a look in the logs and see if I can see anything interesting... hmm. A few different issues - most of which would have caused bounces anyway.

If you could PM me the sending address that you're using then I'd be able to double-check for you.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 04:39 AM   #17
bkfastmail

I've been having this same issue...
bkfastmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:27 AM   #18
szla

Thanks for everyone who offered advice. I have not yet solved the "invalid recipient address" error and am still unable to send email from my iphone fastmail account.

I have tried both port 587 and 465 on my outgoing server but made no difference.
Tried having SSL on and off - no difference.
When I entered a username and password, instead of leaving them blank, the error changed from "invalid recipient address" to "The user name or password for SMTP:myUserName@mail.messagingengine.com is incorrect. The user name I entered included the full domain name.
I tried the Genius bar and the guy had nothing useful to say.

Could someone who is able to send out email from your iphone tell me what server setting you are using?
szla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:56 AM   #19
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by szla View Post
When I entered a username and password, instead of leaving them blank, the error changed from "invalid recipient address" to "The user name or password for SMTP:myUserName@mail.messagingengine.com is incorrect. The user name I entered included the full domain name.
Since I don't know the iphone at all this question is probably a stupid one but thought I'd ask anyway while you wait for someone who has the iphone working. Where you're putting in the username@domain with the password I've not seen the host domain being used like you're doing by using username@mail.messagingengine.com. Is messagingengine.com the actual domain you chose when you setup your FM account? If not, do you suppose putting in your full real username@fastmailaccountdomain.tld would work?

(unless you are putting in the real email address and it's just the message that shows it that way in which case I'm sorry I put this out there for you to read ???)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:32 PM   #20
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

<SPECULATION>Can it be that the Iphone client strips the domain part off?</SPECULATIO

Perhaps some other character can be used instead of the "@" sign like in here?
hadaso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2009, 05:52 PM   #21
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Perhaps some other character can be used instead of the "@" sign like in here?
No, that's not the problem. The iPhone client handles the "@" character perfectly fine. The OP's problem is he doesn't appear to be using the proper domain, as Sherry noted. If he is indeed using the proper user name yet still getting that message, the only suggestions I can think of are to delete the setup on the iPhone and recreate it or to tell iTunes to transfer the account setups over again.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:48 AM   #22
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMRocks View Post
Is this problem is only happening with iPhone (i.e. you can email this same person from the Fastmail web interface from a computer)?
This has not been answered. As janusz pointed out, it may be an invalid address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szla View Post
I was able to send to the same address using the yahoo POP mail set up on my iphone so the problem is with my fastmail set up on the iphone.
This does not answer the question, as Yahoo is not as strict as Fastmail.

I'm not saying this is the problem (it may indeed be the Fastmail setup, as the thread is headed), it just that at this point the above still has not been ruled out...

The OP's initial couple of posts suggested it was a single email address, post #18 suggests it is a 'sending to anyone' issue.
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2024, 07:31 PM   #23
Megan0786

iphone "invalid recipient address" problem.

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this gotten an "invalid address" error message on your iPhone can be frustrating, especially when you're trying to download an app or make a purchase. Here are some steps you can take to fix it:-
1. Check for typos and formatting:-
-Double-check your billing address for any typos or mistakes.
-Make sure everything is spelled out completely and avoid abbreviations.
-Remove any special characters like commas or symbols.
-Ensure the formatting matches what your bank or credit card issuer expects (e.g., apartment number on a separate line).
2. Verify your address matches your payment method:-
-The billing address you enter on your iPhone should ideally match the billing address associated with your payment method (credit card, debit card, etc.).
-Even if you're not using a payment method, a valid billing address is still required.
3. Update your Apple ID address:-
-Go to Settings > [Your Name] > Payment & Shipping.
-Tap on the address you want to edit or select "Add Payment Method" if none exists.
-Enter your correct billing address and save the changes.
4. Try removing and re-entering the address:-
-Sometimes, a simple refresh can fix the issue.
-Go to Settings > [Your Name] > Payment & Shipping.
-Tap on the address and select "Edit".
-Make a minor change (like adding a space) and save it.
-Now, delete the address and re-enter it completely.
5. Check for regional restrictions:-
-In rare cases, there might be regional restrictions on your Apple ID or payment method.
-If you recently moved to a new country or have a foreign payment method, contact Apple Support for assistance. Follow more details instruction below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JsY...el=TheGeekPage
Megan0786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2024, 02:00 PM   #24
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Why dig up such and old thread
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Mar 2024, 02:03 PM   #25
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Why dig up such and old thread
Good point. I was wondering if Megan0786's post had anything to do with sending email. I didn't even notice that they had revived an old thread.
Could this be advertising their YouTube channel?
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote