EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 2 Dec 2011, 01:09 PM   #76
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Time to bump this thread again, since the 27th was Advent Sunday.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2011, 09:06 PM   #77
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

I wondered when this thread would get bumped, and whether Robert or Malc would do the bumping

I am still compiling a a list of what Christmas songs I keep in my main inventory on my other computer, the track count has now surpassed 1,000!
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2011, 09:17 PM   #78
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

^ Are you going to do a mega-playlist of all of them in your media player of choice (mine is Winamp)?

Mine (even after trimming duplicates) is 305 songs long and runs for over 16 hours before repeating.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 11:46 PM   #79
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Whenever thinking of christmas music the terror of Wham's "Last Christmas I gave you my heart", John Lennon's "And so this is Christmas", Paul McCartney's christmas song and --worst of all-- "Dreaming of a white Christmas" come into mind.

Christmas and music are a bad combination. I won't be switching on my radio. Just gimme some good old God Machine out of the stereo, at least that's loud enough to make the christmas music from the neighbours not hearable anymore
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2011, 05:14 AM   #80
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

I've been at it for over a year Robert! I have some gems in there though - quite a few rarities. In the meantime there are the new releases for this year to mull[ed wine?] over including "Christmas for the free" by The Zombies, "Getting ready for Christmas Day" by Paul Simon, plus albums from Carole King, Michael Bublé, Joe Mc Elderry and *shudders* Justin Beiber.

Tsunami I quite agree. Looks like you need to get yourself an alternative Christmas music playlist, like Malc44 and myself discussed further up this thread.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 05:28 AM   #81
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc 44 View Post
At the weekend, I heard once again "Fairytale of New York ~ The Pogues & Kisty McColl", great song shame about the teeth! , how could I have forgotten to mention it before

_Malc
This song just irritates the life out of me, I have to say The Pogues are . . . well, I suppose they were in the right place at the right time - just like Bob Geldof!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2011, 10:14 PM   #82
Tom Gallagher

John Lennon...Xmas Song.

Barking Dogs..Jingle Bells
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:42 AM   #83
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
This song just irritates the life out of me, I have to say The Pogues are . . . well, I suppose they were in the right place at the right time - just like Bob Geldof!
I agree, it's so overplayed it's completely lost its effect. For Christmas song sung by a drunken Irish man, "Christmas lullaby" by Shane MacGowan & The Popes - a way better song.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 06:40 AM   #84
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Thanks for bumping the thread Robert.

I can't really get into Christmas right now, give me another week or so and I may be ready

Meanwhile, if any of you could help me with my Drive Playlist, I would be very grateful.

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2011, 07:27 PM   #85
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lachlan View Post
I've been at it for over a year Robert! I have some gems in there though - quite a few rarities. In the meantime there are the new releases for this year to mull[ed wine?] over including "Christmas for the free" by The Zombies, "Getting ready for Christmas Day" by Paul Simon, plus albums from Carole King, Michael Bublé, Joe Mc Elderry and *shudders* Justin Beiber.

Tsunami I quite agree. Looks like you need to get yourself an alternative Christmas music playlist, like Malc44 and myself discussed further up this thread.
The name is Bieber, not Beiber.

I must say that the guy doesn't bother me because somehow, I managed to not be exposed to his supposedly terrible music. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I only heard one song of him so far. Maybe the fact that I listen to my own CD's rather than putting on the radio or MTV helps, but I only heard one song of the guy so far. Mind, the song was not exactly triggering my interest to hear more of his work.

I do remember when the guy performed here in town. After the gig, the metro was full of teenage girls with the name Bieber or the initials JB all over their arms, legs, cheecks and, which was worrying, some wore cleavages and had his name painted there. We talk about girls 15 year old maximum who were dressing like that in a metro station at 11:00 PM at night. I am not conservative at all, but I doubt this is wise behavior. Also, the metro packed with underaged girls with the name Bieber all over their body and screaming his name so loud that the entire metro was as noisy as a concert hall, was quite an odd experience. I decided to leave a few stations before the usual stop and continue walking home, in order to escape the noise.
Quite incredible what reactions some random singer with one album on the list can get. I have been a teenager too (long ago ...) and I was secretly head over heels with a few celebrities (Avril Lavigne and Kate Winslet to name two huge crushes ) but I never went that far to paint their names on my body or get hysteric whenever I saw their picture...

Anyways, an alternative X-mas playlist is one thing, but why do you need a Christmas playlist in the first place? It's a day like any other, just play whatever you wish I'll put on the usual Connells, God Machine, Orphaned Land, ... Nothing different than any other day.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 04:23 AM   #86
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Anyways, an alternative X-mas playlist is one thing, but why do you need a Christmas playlist in the first place? It's a day like any other, just play whatever you wish I'll put on the usual Connells, God Machine, Orphaned Land, ... Nothing different than any other day.
It's "from", not "than".

Some so-called "Christmas" music is rather spurious anyway; I have one double album of supposed "Christmas carols", at least half of which are just generic hymns (e.g. "He Who Would Valiant Be"); one of them ("For All The Saints") is surely specific to All Saints' Day (November 1st), not Christmas. And The Power of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and We Are The Champions by Queen are only associated with Christmas because that's when they were first released; I have The Power of Love on a Halowe'en compilation as well as a Christmas one.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 05:42 AM   #87
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

You can add to the list East 17 : Stay another day. The only hint of Christmas in it are the tubular bells toward the end of the song. Oh and the fact that it's a soppy love ballad

Sometimes the best Christmas songs don't mention Christmas in the title or lyrics. Sometimes the best have no words at all. Two fantastic Christmas instrumentals are Marvin Gaye : Christmas in the city and Bert Kaempfert(Sp?) : Holiday for bells.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 02:58 AM   #88
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Why does Christmas music exist but no Ramadan music, Yom Kippur music, Easter Day music, Animal Right's Day music, Secretary Day music, ... ? (I wanted to add Valentine's Day but then I guess every lovesong can be considered suitable for a Valentine's Day compilation)

Why does one festivity have a whole genre of music attributed to it and the others don't?
I smell a new market waiting to be explored with new specially composed (and heavily advertised ) albums with music for each kind of possible celebration!

As for Easter: Dutch punk band Heideroosjes once released a song "Ze smelten de paashaas" (translated as "They're melting the Easter Rabbit")
Old 9 Dec 2011, 03:03 AM   #89
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Some more suggestions for your Christmas alternative playlist:

Marilyn Manson : "If I was your Vampire"
Placebo : "Taste in Men"
EMA: "California"
Siouxsie & The Banshees: "Israel"

Except for the latter somewhat remotely, none of them have anything to do with the day itself, but the word Christmas is somewhere in the lyrics. Not even sure why, but any excuse to stray away from the cheesy christmas tunes is a good excuse.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 03:12 AM   #90
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Why does Christmas music exist but no Ramadan music, Yom Kippur music, Easter Day music, Animal Right's Day music, Secretary Day music, ... ?
Actually, since Easter is the one day of the year which is holier than Christmas, there are plenty of Easter carols; I'm not very religious, but without having to strain my memory I can think of O Sacrèd Head, Sore Wounded and There Is A Green Hill Far Away. There are hundreds if not thousands more where those come from; indeed, some carols can serve for both celebrations (In Dulce Jubilo / Good Christian Men Rejoice was originally written as an Easter carol).

Not many secular Easter songs yet, but there will be...