EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Should Hotmail improve their serive as mentioned in the "boycott" post?
Yes, they should stop being so mean 18 33.96%
Does it really matter? Hotmail's a free service anyway 19 35.85%
I don't use Hotmail 16 30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2002, 05:04 AM   #16
CyberSmurf

it's all relative

I didn't use Hotmail before MicroSoft. So I don't know what the service was like. Probably, back then it was the best thing around. I suspect that the service is probably even better now. The problem is that other players have passed Hotmail. It's not going backwards so much as losing it's lead.

Also, I don't think that we can blame Microsoft for the spam. The service is a victim of it's own "popularity". It's easy for spammers to send mail to random addresses and hit something.
Of course, it is arguable how fervently they deal with spam.

My objection, as with any Microsoft product, is how the operating system is geared towards herding you into Microsoft applications.
Arguably, Hotmail/MSN should not be the only choice for people setting up Outlook Express for the first time.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 05:44 AM   #17
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberSmurf
The other members get to use your storage?

Are your sure?
Again, that's incorrect - each Members' MSN account uses it's own storarge.

If I were to post a photo album in the South Bay Activity Club MSN group, that would be counted towards my storage as a member and would have no bearing on the Managers' storage quota.

Again, hotmail email associated with MSN groups is mutually exclusive.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 06:38 AM   #18
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Angry One More time!

Original subcribers of Hotmail Extra Storage first switched over to the new MSN Extra Storage were given 10MB of personal Hotmail storage and 30MB of storage if they created a club account. This was given as a reward for a change in service level following a price increase. I do know what storage limits I have. They may no longer give this to new members, but I do have it for my group.

To repeat, for original subscribers the two WERE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE! COMPRENDE?!

This was an advantage given members who signed up in November of last year.

Last edited by admiralu : 11 Oct 2002 at 06:42 AM.
admiralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 06:48 AM   #19
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

oki doki arti choki
Old 11 Oct 2002, 09:47 AM   #20
CyberSmurf

lol
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 10:57 AM   #21
psalzer

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
Hotmail has made email communication very difficult for me, even though I don't even use hotmail. In fact, sometimes when I see that someone has a hotmail account (and maybe this is prejudice), but I immediately assume that anyone with an @hotmail.com address is an un-educated email user.
I'd guess that is prejudice. Two of the guys I work with use Hotmail for their personal accounts and they're perfectly capable of configuring an e-mail server themselves and in fact have done so. They just don't care enough about their personal e-mail to bother getting other accounts. They're annoyed by the spam but seem to be able to get the messages that they want. Of course, they don't use it for files much. They use FTP or file sharing software for that. I wouldn't use myself, but I haven't run into these difficulties with Hotmail users, either.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:30 PM   #22
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I'd guess that is prejudice.
If you beleive I discriminate against hotmail users, perhaps you might want to file a complaint with the EEOC
(Equal Email Opportunity Commission).

But in all seriousness, it's not predudice, it's my experience with hotmail users. In fact, I've once considered putting on my web page regarding password requests that I will not respond to hotmail users - with no exceptions.

The likelihood of my legitimate email being filtered into the junk-mail folder is significant enough and the unreliability of hotmail has had numerous occasions of hotmail users telling me they have not received my messages. I have not had this problem with any other email service.

When I send an email to a hotmail user, the reliability that my email will be viewed by the recipient is far from 100%.

Last edited by FromLine : 11 Oct 2002 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:49 PM   #23
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I have the same thoughts whenever I see an @hotmail.com.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2002, 10:24 PM   #24
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
If you don't like Hotmail, the best way to vote is with your mouse. Just say no and use a different service.
Now that's by FAR the best suggestion I've ever had, concerning the Hotmail service
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 04:30 AM   #25
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
I've just tried to reactivate an old (earlier this year) Hotmail account, and am being told that because I let it be idle for over 30 days, I have to upgrade to a paying account!  Despite the fact that I have no means of paying (and despite the fact that Hotmail isn't worth paying for in any case)...
I just re-activated an old account, and allll the way at the bottom of the page is a tiny link that says "click here" for a 2MB account. If you blink, you'll miss it. Very sneaky...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 05:27 AM   #26
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Edited from the front page of http://hotmailsucks.com :
Quote:
Now Hotmailsucks has a cr*ppier experience for you!
Now M$N Hotmailsucks gives you what you're really asking for if you are dumb enough to sign up. More hassles, larger accessibility problems, and guaranteed unnotified account removal for doing absolutely nothing!

All About Hotmailsucks
·Accessibility problems when you need your e-mail most
·Annoying reminders that you have no disk space left because your account is full of spam
·"You-get-what-you-pay-for"™ approach to customer-service
·Stupid ads on the bottom of all your sent e-mails
·A TOU so rediculously vague and obfuscated, even WE don't know what its REALLY saying
·Click on a link in your email and get stuck in a Hotmailsucks frame--you know we are keeping track of where you are visiting, right?
Took the words right out of my mouth
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 05:37 AM   #27
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by MAILfreak
Edited from the front page of http://hotmailsucks.com :
Took the words right out of my mouth
yes, and check out his "affiliate" links...
Old 12 Oct 2002, 05:46 AM   #28
munchkin

I've never had a problem with Hotmail. It's not my main account, I only check it once every other day or so. It is a 5-characters address and I rarely get spam, perhaps only one or two messages a week. One time I couldn't get on my account because the server was busy. Oh well.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 10:56 AM   #29
classicalmusic

Quote:
Originally posted by munchkin
It is a 5-characters address and I rarely get spam, perhaps only one or two messages a week.
I have had to junk several different hotmail accounts because of all the spam; however, I have one particular account that has a somewhat complicated address and I have NEVER EVER received a single spam message there -- and I have had it for well over a year.

Last edited by classicalmusic : 12 Oct 2002 at 11:00 AM.
classicalmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2002, 11:00 AM   #30
classicalmusic

Quote:
Originally posted by kchess79

I just re-activated an old account, and allll the way at the bottom of the page is a tiny link that says "click here" for a 2MB account. If you blink, you'll miss it. Very sneaky...
At the top of the page, you get options of signing up for one of their paid accounts, while the free 2mb option appears as a fine print way below. They do it to encourage people to cough up some money and sign up with their enhanced accounts. The page in reference above appears either when you are signing up for a new account or when you are reactivating an old disabled account.
classicalmusic is offline   Reply With Quote