EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Mar 2002, 06:41 AM   #1
Houman

What IMAP Client are you using ?

Other than the webmail which is great, I have had no problem whatsoever with Outlook Express (XP version), I wondered what
people do use in terms of IMAP Client and what is your experience so far ?

Houman
Houman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Mar 2002, 06:58 AM   #2
munchkin

I use The Bat but it isnt a full IMAP client which lets me create folders etc. I don't like Outlook Express neither Mozilla nor Mulberry.
I wish there were more programs out that support IMAP in a way Outlook Express does.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 07:13 AM   #3
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I used OE until last week, and am now using Mozilla, which I prefer in most respects.

I'd use Mulberry, except that I always like to use a free email client. That's so that I am most familiar with a free email client that I can recommend to FastMail.FM users.

Munchkin: why don't you like OE or Mozilla?
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:02 AM   #4
munchkin

Jeremy, I use the web interface most of the time. If I download email I use one of those clients that support IMAP such as i.Scribe, the bat etc. Mozilla and Outlook Express are simply to much for my needs.
I don't create folders, filter email so i.Scribe works just fine for me...just for managing, downloading email once a week. Thats why I wish more IMAP clients were out there also for non-power users.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:36 AM   #5
jshumway

I really like Pocomail, but it is still in the IMAP=POP mode at the moment. I know that the developer is working on improving the IMAP support, so hopefully it will come soon.

Eudora was not too bad with IMAP, but I do not like the address book and there are a few other little quirks that keep me from wanting to use it.

So I am actually bouncing between Mozilla and webmail.

Mozilla does not work well with a couple of other programs that I find indespensible - PowerMarks and AI Roboform. I really don't think that I can live without them for long anymore.

Jeff
jshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 08:51 AM   #6
dupris

Quote:
Originally posted by jshumway
I really like Pocomail, but it is still in the IMAP=POP mode at the moment. I know that the developer is working on improving the IMAP support, so hopefully it will come soon.

Eudora was not too bad with IMAP, but I do not like the address book and there are a few other little quirks that keep me from wanting to use it.

Jeff
Jeff, could you detail a few of those quirks please?
dupris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 09:49 AM   #7
tlvee

I think Pocomail has a *wonderful* interface, and really hope they deliver an imap version soon. But i have to admit that moz does the job just fine.
tlvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:07 AM   #8
jshumway

Quote:
Originally posted by dupris
Jeff, could you detail a few of those quirks please?
None of the quirks are data related. I actually just find the interface irritating at times. Eudora is built around an MDI interface, but I like the window that I am working in maximized and I could never really tweak the various windows so that they would stay where I wanted them.

Another thing that seems quirky to me is how an MDI window opens. For example, if you open the address book, the window starts to open in a somewhat less than maximized state and then pops to full size within the primary applications space. Just irritating to me for some reason.

Not sure if that makes any sense - but basically, I found that the program just never felt "right" to me. It is a very powerful program and you may really love it - many people do. I used it for about a year and just never completely bonded with it.

Actually if I could have an email client that worked like Agent news reader, I would be set. It was easy to keep the pane that you are working in maximized, but still jump to the subject pane and tree pane with relative ease. In fact I used the email client in Agent for a while, but it is just a little too spartan.

Poco will be the one to use when the author finishes the IMAP support.

Hope that makes some sense.

Jeff
Old 19 Mar 2002, 10:29 AM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by jshumway
Mozilla does not work well with a couple of other programs that I find indespensible - PowerMarks and AI Roboform.
Roboform rocks! There is an NS/Moz version available, but unfortunately it only works with 0.9.8 at this stage. I'm sure we'll see a 0.9.9 version soon. At least Moz comes with a form filler that remembers what you type in certain forms, although it's not even close to being as cool as Roboform.

I don't use PowerMarks on IE... However I really like the 'keywords' feature of Moz bookmarks and now wouldn't like to use a browser like IE that doesn't have it. I believe that PowerMarks could be easily implemented on Moz if a small change to the Moz code was made: http://www.kaylon.com/browsersupport.html . Maybe someone who likes it enough will submit a suitable patch...
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:11 AM   #10

Calypso

I use Calypso. It supports IMAP and is extremely easy to use. They also have a lot of great features.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:33 AM   #11
jshumway

Re: Calypso

Quote:
Originally posted by landfc
I use Calypso. It supports IMAP and is extremely easy to use. They also have a lot of great features.
I love Calypso and it was the first email client that I registered. Unfortunately, the registration scheme requires that the email client contact their server to re-register if you reinstall the application. You get two registrations per purchase.

Since I reinstall my operating system, change computers all the time, and work on multiple PC's, this will never work for me.

To be fair to MCS Dallas, they will reset your counter if you contact them, but I find that to be irritating. I register all of my software and I hate not being able to use it any way that I want.

Awesome program other than that. I love how it has one file that is the mailbox - very easy to set up and back up.

J.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 11:38 AM   #12
jshumway

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
I don't use PowerMarks on IE... However I really like the 'keywords' feature of Moz bookmarks and now wouldn't like to use a browser like IE that doesn't have it. I believe that PowerMarks could be easily implemented on Moz if a small change to the Moz code was made: http://www.kaylon.com/browsersupport.html . Maybe someone who likes it enough will submit a suitable patch...
Actually the only feature that does not work is the url visit count. That is a nice feature, but I can live without it if I have too. The trick to getting it to work with Mozilla is to tell PowerMarks to ignore all of the supported browser and then it will pass the url to the registered default browser. This way you can make it work with NetCaptor or other non-supported browser.

J.
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:16 PM   #13
ReuvenNY

IMAP client

Try Becky! version 2.09 from http://www.rimarts.co.jp/
It is written by a Japanese programmer, has probably one of the better IMAP support features. Not perfect, but a new version should be available in a couple of months.
It is not free, but you can download a 30 day shareware. I have been using it for long before FastMail and loved it. Luckily they suppot IMAP as well.

Reuven
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 12:33 PM   #14
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Spell Checker for Mozilla Mail??

Followed Jeremy's advice in this forum and downloaded Mozilla. Must say, I'm very impressed by the speed and stability of Moz. 0.9.9.

Mozilla Mozilla IMAP configured with Jeremy's user.js also seems to be performing well. I major issue however ......

Has anyone successfully implemented Spell Checker in Mozilla Mail. If so, is an open source spell checker currently available?

Otherwise, shouldn't you be able to use the spell checker from Netscape 6.2. If so, any ideas on the install. Any help would be appreciated
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2002, 01:21 PM   #15
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Moz spell checker: http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/index.html