EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:24 AM   #1
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

Remote Settings On An Email Client

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew an email client capable of staying in sync with the same program on another computer. Basiclally, an IMAP server type thing, but without an IMAP server. To clarify what I mean more, Outlook Express stores all its files to run an Identity in one folder. I want to use Outlook Express (for example) on two computers and keep their files on one of them or another network computer in order to keep one copy of everything and have both clients synchronized.

Does anyone know how I would do this with Outlook or Outlook Express? Another email client?

Thanks for your help.

-- Alex/esTester
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:53 AM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Boy, this seems like a bad idea.

OE data files are not designed to be used in a shared environment, so something as simple as just pointing both at the same data set can make messes. Even with sequential access, on a dual boot machine, shared OE datafiles get messed up.

Ever thought about a local IMAP server? Use client server the way it was designed?

Blueberry IMAP
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/62119.html
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:45 PM   #3
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks kaptitsky. I figured as much all along, but I wasn't sure if there was a simple way to do it I was missing that was integrated into a client.

-- Alex
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2003, 03:48 PM   #4
CyberSmurf

One reason that I like Eudora is that it shows the status of the mail on a POP server. I can choose to delete the mail from the server or leave it there.
Of course if the mail has already been deleted, then I can't put it back.

btw, I find that with hotpop.com it is not good to leave the mail on the server as it seems to confuse the server.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote