EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Dec 2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Backdoor to get more file storage

Currently I need more file storage.
Because the lack of progression in reviewing the storage pricing I have the plan to open a Family account and migrate my personal Enhanced account into a Superior account. For $5/y extra I get a 6Gb/6GB instead of a 8GB/2GB storage.

Q:
  1. Isn't this against the TOS?
  2. Do I have the same features as my Enhanced account?
  3. (most important) Can I keep my existing account name/aliases?
  4. Can I keep or import my existing email and files into the new account?
  5. Can I transfer my remaining credits ($) into the new Family account?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Dec 2009, 01:06 AM   #2
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I moved my Full account to an Everyday Family account a while ago. I had no problems. I gained the ability to host my own domains (previously restricted to Enhanced accounts only). My aliases transferred over without issues. All money in my account transferred over without any problems. My account name stayed the same, and a new "master account" was created for managing the Family account. All my email and files transferred over without any hint of problems.

One difference I've noticed: Family accounts can only be renewed for a maximum of one year at a time. There are no options for renewing them for 2 or 3 years.

Other than that, some of the configuration options move from your standard user account's "Options" screen to the overall Family account's "Manage" screen. Sometimes I end up hunting in both places before I find the option I want, but that's not a major issue at all.

I'm not sure what the limits (e.g. number of aliases, number of address book entries, etc.) are for Family accounts offhand. If you have a lot of either of these, that would be my only area of concern.

That's my experience.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2009, 04:24 AM   #3
digp
Master of the @

is this really a cheaper way of getting virtual domains? it seems, in the long run, it is more expensive.

it's not really a back door, as it is mentioned on the help pages.

i've just changed my account to a family for this reason?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
is this really a cheaper way of getting virtual domains? it seems, in the long run, it is more expensive.
I was talking about file storage.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 02:52 AM   #5
digp
Master of the @

i meant it is more expensive overall compared to if one took out the individual account (ad free v lite). However, it is worth it for the virtual domain features, in my case, as I do not want or require an enhanced account just for that purpose.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Shelded

If there is any "back door" to this it is the fact that the powerful master account costs $5/yr. There's next to no space in it, but it has all the features. Using it with a guest or member account came to mind...
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

It's a 'backdoor' to me. I'm have an enhanced account ($39.95/y) now. If I want to purchase additional file storage I have to pay $200 for 2 GB extra. If I migrate to a family+superior account ($5 + $39.95) I only have to pay an extra $5/y for 6 GB of file storage (6 GB email storage is far enough for me). ROI over the yearly costs is 80 years (2 x 200 x 2 GB)!!

A regular, more naive, customer who needs extra storage will purchase this via the standard procedure and it will cost him a lot of money. On the otherhand he can migrate for $5 to a family account and gets an extra 4 GB nearly for free. IMHO it's a disgrace that FM still offers this pricey option in the enhanced account.

Happy new year, btw.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 12:57 AM   #8
digp
Master of the @

I agree, SHAME on fastmail.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Merovingian
Master of the @

I wish we could have much more storage in our accounts as well. I have Enhanced, and would love to have more without paying an arm and a leg for it.

A friend of mine recently got me hooked into http://dropbox.com. It's online storage that can be accessed on any computer. I even have it on my ipod touch . I currently have 3GB of free storage, and can have more added later, or if I want to pay, I can pay to upgrade to 50 or 100GB. It's not intertwined with my fastmail account, but it's storage nonetheless. And it's free storage at that

Last edited by Shelded : 4 Jan 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Moderator removed referral portion of link as it can be an affiliate payment tool
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
I currently have 3GB of free storage
Dropbox's pricing page says
Quote:
The free Dropbox account comes with 2GB of space
BTW, when telling people about new and apparently wonderful services, is it really necessary to use /referrals/xxxxxxxx tagged on to the URL?

Last edited by janusz : 1 Jan 2010 at 07:42 PM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Dropbox's pricing page says

BTW, when telling people about new and apparently wonderful services, is it really necessary to use /referrals/xxxxxxxx tagged on to the URL?
yes, the initial size is 2GB, but more can be added later, as dropbox gives storage incentives for things such as downloading onto more than one computer, inviting others, etc. My link had the referral info on it because that's the link they gave me. I had no bad intentions or malice in posting that, it was just the sharing link they gave me to my account. Sorry if that's frowned upon, I was sincerely just adding a solution to the storage discussion.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote