EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 19 Jun 2016, 05:16 AM   #1
thebull
Essential Contributor

Eumx is changing

They have a notice on the login site that states this!

Here it is
Jun 15th - We have created this news feed to inform you about upcoming and ongoing changes related to our services.
We have been planned to upgrade our services for years. These upgrades were delayed multiple times, but finally we are starting to upgrade. As part of these upgrades you will experience many changes. All these changes will be done to improve user experience and security of our services.

We have realized a long time ago that current infrastructure is not user friendly enough, however most of our existing users likes the extra features which this environment gives to them. Thats the reason that instead of retiring this environment we will renew it and introduce a new, more convenient environment. Users wont be forced to switch to new environment.

Current mail infrastructure will be renamed to Legacy EUMX. All existing users will be able to use it as they did it so far, but web mail interfaces will be discontinued, since they are not actively developed.

We wont charge our users for using Legacy EUMX services. 2CheckOut will send you recurring billing cancellation messages during following days.

2Checkout Inc. was the exclusive authorized retailer of our services, but they do not act as retailer anymore. They act as merchant service provider. We have decided to replace them with a local merchant service provider.

We will update you about all upcoming changes. We hope these upgrades will serve all of us and make EUMX much more attractive, while keeping it reliable and secure as it was so far.
thebull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jun 2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

At last! But a lot of questions. Most important: will OWM be staying or not? We'll wait and see.
BTW: very irritating newsfeed.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2016, 05:44 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
will OWM be staying or not?
I seem to remember fabule's (EuMX rep here) posting which stated OWM would go. Cannot find the actual post....

Added later: Found the post. BTW,Squirrelmail is also on the death list.

Last edited by janusz : 19 Jun 2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: found the relevant post
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
I seem to remember fabule's (EuMX rep here) posting which stated OWM would go.
Services page has changed into 'EuMX Legacy' and at the bottom the line: 'For existing users'. This implies OWM is staying?
Old 19 Jun 2016, 07:42 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The page you refer to does not state which interfaces are available, so it implies nothing about the OWM's future.
Personally speaking, I use OWM so infrequently that its withdrawal wouldn't be noticed for a long time.
Old 19 Jun 2016, 07:52 PM   #6
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Services page has changed into 'EuMX Legacy' and at the bottom the line: 'For existing users'. This implies OWM is staying?
No, I think this means that while a few interfaces will be removed the old "environment" as a whole will remain. (EuMX support replied to a question of mine more than a year ago saying that OWM caused them "serious difficulties," so it's not a surprise that that one will be the first to go.)

Then the new infrastructure sounds like it might be premium-only -- as in, our free EMD based accounts will only have access to the old 'environment' unless we upgrade. Just guessing on that one.
B4its2L8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2016, 09:51 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
The page you refer to does not state which interfaces are available, so it implies nothing about the OWM's future.
If I remember correctly, historically this page represented OWM. In earlier days there were no other webclients than OWM. Also the main interface, help page, etc. is all OWM.

Last edited by Berenburger : 20 Jun 2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 04:43 AM   #8
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
If I remember correctly historically this page represented OWM. In earlier days there were no other webclients than OWM. Also the main interface, help page, etc. is all OWM.
as far as I am aware OWM will finally be retired.

but here is the info from a while back from EuMX support:

"Unfortunately development of Squirrelmail and Open Web Mail stopped long time ago and we won't be able to use it any more. It will affect many users so we can't decommission these interfaces from one day to another."

so I guess not from the day 1, but I would prepare that they will go.

Last edited by soromak : 20 Jun 2016 at 04:53 AM.
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2016, 04:36 PM   #9
pippopippo204

Eumx , please do not kill Roundcube !!!
pippopippo204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2016, 04:50 PM   #10
soromak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopippo204 View Post
RoundCube is being actively developed, so I do not see EuMX withdrawing it.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 07:36 PM   #11
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopippo204 View Post
janusz linked to the post from March by fabule above. In it, after noting that Squirrelmail would be retired, fabule said, " We hope they [users] will be able to get used to Horde, Afterlogic, Sogo or RoundCube."

So, RoundCube's a 'keeper.'
B4its2L8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2016, 09:23 PM   #12
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebull View Post
Users wont be forced to switch to new environment.

Current mail infrastructure will be renamed to Legacy EUMX. All existing users will be able to use it as they did it so far, but web mail interfaces will be discontinued, since they are not actively developed.

We wont charge our users for using Legacy EUMX services.
I am confused. Users won't be forced to switch to the new environment and will be able to use the service as they did it so far, but webmail interfaces will be discontinued. Doesn't the latter contradict the first statements?

Also, if they don't charge users for using Legacy EUMX services, does that mean it effectively becomes a free service (with/without inactivity limits) for those that already had an account?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2016, 09:38 PM   #13
communicant

Two good points, Tsunami.

Regarding the first, the word 'some' was omitted by the OP in quoting the EuMX newsfeed. They say that 'some web mail interfaces will be discontinued', which is at least partial consolation, though still not good news for those who are used to OWM (and who appreciate the fact that outgoing messages sent from that interface do not display the sender's IP, unlike some of the other EuMX webmail interfaces, which are inconsistent in this respect).

Regarding your second point, perhaps they mean that there will be no extra charge for the privilege of not being forced to change to the new environment! (Just joking, but who knows?)

If you have a gift account, it will presumably still be free, as long as you use 'legacy' services. Will gift account users have to upgrade if they want to use the new environment?

Fabule, if you are reading this thread, it would be very helpful if you could clarify these points. Many thanks.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2016, 06:11 AM   #14
soromak

Since at the moment it appears that AfterLogic webmail will be a main webmail in the new EuMX, the good news is that AfterLogic has iOS and Android apps in the works with the aim to release them in the summer. So i hope soon!
Old 22 Jun 2016, 06:18 AM   #15
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by soromak View Post
at the moment it appears that AfterLogic webmail will be a main webmail in the new EuMX
Source ???