EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Feb 2015, 08:44 AM   #1
lauricat

Fastmail IMAP off the air

See status page here:

http://www.fastmailstatus.com/

Just FYI..

Cheers

~L.

Last edited by JeffK : 25 Feb 2015 at 08:51 AM.
lauricat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Feb 2015, 08:46 AM   #2
bipbop

Didn't know of that one. Thanks!
bipbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2015, 08:52 AM   #3
JeffK

Thanks lauricat I wondered what was wrong.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2015, 09:14 AM   #4
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yep - an upgrade that was supposed to be entirely invisible, but it took down servers and I had to perform an emergency repair which took everyone offline briefly, and the poor people on one server offline a little more than briefly.

Bron.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2015, 12:59 AM   #5
g4mby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Yep - an upgrade that was supposed to be entirely invisible, but it took down servers and I had to perform an emergency repair which took everyone offline briefly, and the poor people on one server offline a little more than briefly.
No problem. I was asleep at the time.
g4mby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2015, 04:57 AM   #6
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4mby View Post
No problem. I was asleep at the time.
Lucky you I did time it so it would be middle of the night for Europe and at least at the end of the workday for US East. A couple of hours later is good for US West, but the load is already dropping off by that time of day, and it leaves the most time for finishing anything that I start working on! (plus, I'd just eaten lunch, so there's a few hours with minimal distractions ahead)
Old 6 Mar 2015, 11:19 PM   #7
quicksilver03

Quote:
Lucky you I did time it so it would be middle of the night for Europe and at least at the end of the workday for US East. A couple of hours later is good for US West, but the load is already dropping off by that time of day, and it leaves the most time for finishing anything that I start working on! (plus, I'd just eaten lunch, so there's a few hours with minimal distractions ahead)
I don't know if it's related to this upgrade, but my IMAP client (Postbox) is now showing errors when I try to delete a mail or move a mail to another mailbox.

The error is:

PHP Code:
ErrorThe current command did not succeed.  The mail server respondedMailbox does not exist

I have configured my client to use

PHP Code:
IMAP server directoryINBOX.
Personal namespace"INBOX." 
Perhaps the upgrade broke something with custom namespaces?
quicksilver03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2015, 12:15 AM   #8
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver03 View Post
I don't know if it's related to this upgrade, but my IMAP client (Postbox) is now showing errors when I try to delete a mail or move a mail to another mailbox.

The error is:

PHP Code:
ErrorThe current command did not succeed.  The mail server respondedMailbox does not exist

I have configured my client to use

PHP Code:
IMAP server directoryINBOX.
Personal namespace"INBOX." 
Perhaps the upgrade broke something with custom namespaces?
Please open a support ticket, mention to allocate it to Bron, and/or PM me the ticket number here. (it's 3am and I just got paged for something unrelated, so I won't look until later) - but I'm going to need telemetry logging to see what's going on.

The fact that half the world isn't up in arms probably means it's something to do with your account rather than a more general bug

Regards,

Bron.
Old 7 Mar 2015, 02:07 AM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

The lack of an apology.

This is frequently missing from explanations for downtimes.

IMHO, as a service that people are paying for, it should be mandatory.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2015, 02:40 AM   #10
quicksilver03

Quote:
Please open a support ticket, mention to allocate it to Bron, and/or PM me the ticket number here. (it's 3am and I just got paged for something unrelated, so I won't look until later) - but I'm going to need telemetry logging to see what's going on.

The fact that half the world isn't up in arms probably means it's something to do with your account rather than a more general bug
Thanks Bron, I've opened the ticket as you suggested.

This looks very much like a corner case with the IMAP server directory and personal namespace configurations: if I remove those 2 then the problem goes away, Postbox is able to move or delete messages from the Inbox without any error.
Old 11 Mar 2015, 06:03 PM   #11
quicksilver03

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver03 View Post
Thanks Bron, I've opened the ticket as you suggested.

This looks very much like a corner case with the IMAP server directory and personal namespace configurations: if I remove those 2 then the problem goes away, Postbox is able to move or delete messages from the Inbox without any error.
I've finally managed to find a solution that allows me to keep using Postbox and my desired configuration: as documented on

https://www.fastmail.com/help/techni...sandports.html

I simply changed the IMAP port to 992 and removed all namespace settings, and then everything worked fine.

It was a client issue from the beginning and if I had searched a little more I would have solved it in no more than 15 minutes.