EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:40 AM   #1
yetanother1

Opera's Silence Speaks Volumes!

I think that it is safe to say to Opera could care less about the current FastMail users and that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for things to get better. They certainly are aware of their user's feelings about what has and is happening.

If they did care about us I think that we all would have gotten an email from them apologizing for this unannounced roll out of an undocumented, less capable product. The email would have explained what they intend to do and how long it is going to take. Instead, there is complete silence.

I can only assume that this new interface roll out is proceeding exactly as they intended.
yetanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Bamb0
Master of the @

No they dont and i think my assuming that Brong and his team DID NOT WANT TO THIS is right on!!!

I think they should take a stand and bring back the original CLASSIC interface!! (What could happen??)

Brong if your reading this: WHY GO ALONG WITH THESE DISGUSTING CHANGES?? -- You guys had made a goldmine!! -- Why let people come in and ruin what you built?? (You were quite happy with it as we all were!!)

They have OPERAMAIL,if they like this disgusting "New interface" let them keep it ON THIER OWN EMAIL PLATFORM!!!!! -- They dont have a right to come in and destroy your companys build!!

Its way past time for people to STAND UP and say no more!! -- People who do still realise what good is!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:50 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

All existing (old) Fastmail staff (who are still around) now work for 'Company Opera' and are likely earning a generous salary.

Under these conditions support for the company you work for is always job #1
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes Dave and im sure they didnt want to do this....Opera probably waited until the deal was final BEFORE THEY STARTED THIS!!
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:02 AM   #5
yetanother1

To be perfectly clear, I don't have an issue with the engineers. It is the management of Opera that is silent. They were and are the decision makers.

If they cared about their user base there would have been a "crisis meeting" and steps would have been decided on and taken to address the issues (e.g,. Apple Maps). It is clear to me that Opera management does not sense any "crisis".

Assuming that Opera management is not a bunch of idiots, then what they are doing has been well thought out and they are happy with the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
All existing (old) Fastmail staff (who are still around) now work for 'Company Opera' and are likely earning a generous salary.

yetanother1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:13 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanother1 View Post
It is clear to me that Opera management does not sense any "crisis".

Assuming that Opera management is not a bunch of idiots, then what they are doing has been well thought out and they are happy with the consequences.
Agreed: that being the case you either live with it or move.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:29 AM   #7
mindfixer

All I can say is that the whole thing is very Un-Australian. Having had a paid account since 2002 and therefore providing support for the company through its ups and downs I feel very let down by the way this has been mishandled. There are plenty of dumbed down email services out there for those who want such things. This is just the same as sticking two fingers up at us. You guys would make great politicians!! Thanks.
mindfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Tappahannock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

More likely they have restricted shares in Opera and a passel of stock options with a strike price at the market valuation when the acquisition took place. That's the usual way to hold such employees hostage and ensure their silence on matters of controversy. Then again when a company goes into steep decline such hostages are prone to walk away.
Tappahannock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 02:16 AM   #9
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappahannock View Post
More likely they have restricted shares in Opera and a passel of stock options with a strike price at the market valuation when the acquisition took place. That's the usual way to hold such employees hostage and ensure their silence on matters of controversy. Then again when a company goes into steep decline such hostages are prone to walk away.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...76&postcount=2
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 03:20 PM   #10
oslostock

Possibly stock options also.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...6&postcount=13
oslostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 11:13 PM   #11
William9
The "e" in e-mail

IMHO the implication is that the Fastmail users on this forum are small stuff.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...45&postcount=5
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
PON
Essential Contributor

Don't know about others but I've been responsible for several dozen paying FM users. I'm holding off sending them a recommendation on an alternative until I have time to investigate (LuxSci and a few others). Thankfully, I set them up with their own domains.

Would be good to have something like CMSmatrix for email services. Pointers welcome.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2012, 06:50 AM   #13
bjh

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
What an arrogant jerk. It's nice to know he appreciates Fastmail customers.

I've been a customer since at least 2005 (perhaps earlier - I don't remember) but now it's time to start looking for a replacement mail service.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Bamb0
Master of the @

No they dont care... They did what they wanted: DESTROY FASTMAIL AS IT WAS AND MAKE IT AS BAD AS THIER OWN EMAIL PLATFORM IS!!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 11:18 AM   #15
JeffK

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post

Ouch, that is not good PR with your customers. We'll put it down to a Danish sense of humour.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote