EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Apr 2003, 02:53 AM   #1
geoff2

Spammers using Fastmail

Hey:

A friend of mine who runs his own domain (and has had it for >10 years) and who has had the same e-mail address for the same amount of time predictably gets a lot of spam, and implements numerous measures to try to reduce it. One is blocking smtp servers that he thinks are large spamming sources. He claims that "fastmail is used regularly by spammers," and so he blocks it (and, thus, my e-mails from Fastmail).

Is there any way I can convince him that Fastmail is not "used regularly by spammers," if indeed it's not? (Or is it?) I recognize it will be hard to do, because he's blocking based on his own personal experiences getting lots of spam from Fastmail, but hopefully there's some information out there that might help.

Thanks.
geoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Apr 2003, 03:50 AM   #2
Drencrom
Master of the @

The basic reason is that FastMail Guest users are not allowed SMTP.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:15 AM   #3
Sherry

Re: Spammers using Fastmail

Quote:
Originally posted by geoff2
Is there any way I can convince him that Fastmail is not "used regularly by spammers," if indeed it's not? (Or is it?) I recognize it will be hard to do, because he's blocking based on his own personal experiences getting lots of spam from Fastmail, but hopefully there's some information out there that might help.
Thanks.
I think your friend should read the paper Jeremy wrote on this matter.

http://jhoward.fastmail.fm/articles/spamcop_reply.html

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 04:37 AM   #4
geoff2

Quote:
I think your friend should read the paper Jeremy wrote on this matter.

http://jhoward.fastmail.fm/articles/spamcop_reply.html

Sherry
Thank you Sherry. I went ahead and passed that link along.
geoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 05:05 AM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Unfortunately, several spammers are currently using FM to spam. They're often using the webmail interface. FM tends to nuke them though. Perhaps that will convince your friend, perhaps there are additional steps FM needs to take.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 05:22 AM   #6
igp
= Permanently banned =

Talking

yup.... no more guest users.......?
igp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 05:51 AM   #7
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

No! The spam isn't only sent by guest users! see FeatureSuggestionsFiltering#Anti-Spam on the wiki for suggestions.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 06:12 AM   #8
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by elvey
Unfortunately, several spammers are currently using FM to spam. They're often using the webmail interface.
How does one use the webmail interface to send spam? That would be incredibly inefficient, I would think.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 06:52 AM   #9
eggman
Essential Contributor

I guess they automate sending via the web interface..
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 06:53 AM   #10
sjk
Master of the @

Apparently people have paid for non-Guest FastMail accounts with stolen credit card numbers.

Business/advertising benefits aside, I wonder about the support impact guest access can have on services. As that relates to FastMail:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...3732#post73732

I think it's a sure bet most guest users are only interested in yet another free e-mail service without any intention of ever paying (like, it's a cool and fashionable ), tho' the majority of them won't abuse it.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 07:27 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
Business/advertising benefits aside, I wonder about the support impact guest access can have on services. As that relates to FastMail:
So far, I think FastMail has kept up with the needs of "all" users as far as the services go and they don't give personal support to Guest users. (IMHO)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2003, 07:53 AM   #12
sjk
Master of the @

Regardless of account level you've gotta admit that much of the FastMail support on this forum is personal, just not private.

Anyhoo, that relates to discussion in How to get support from fastmail.fm? so I won't drift off-topic anymore here.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2003, 03:10 AM   #13
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

There's one idiot out there (I think his domain is rhyolite.com) who's convinced that "all free email services are spam-ridden"; I've refuted his claim by pointing out that FM is not, but I doubt that he'll listen...

And in any case, since spammers are thieves anyway, if forced (one way or another) away from the free services, they'll just (as already indicated) sign up for paid services using stolen credit card numbers...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2003, 06:16 AM   #14
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by harless
How does one use the webmail interface to send spam? That would be incredibly inefficient, I would think.
Spam is incredibly inefficient inherently. You're spamming a zillion people hoping that slightly more than 0.0% buy. Your point? The evidence shows that it's happening. Regularly.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:05 AM   #15
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
... since spammers are thieves anyway, if forced (one way or another) away from the free services, they'll just (as already indicated) sign up for paid services using stolen credit card numbers...
So if FastMail has the info that someone has sent spam using a stolen credit card, they have all the info needed for the police to take action: The spam message has all the info leading to the party that is advertising something: there must be some link to a website, or a telephone number, and there's a crime comitted that's proven: a credit card or credit card number was stolen. That's enough for the police to investigate. The advertiser is either the party who used the stolen credit card number, or can lead to that party, or if they refuse to cooperate, they are in trouble with the police. Not to mention that if someone has used stolen credit card to advertise their business through FastMail, then FastMail can sue them for damages.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote