EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Dec 2017, 12:17 AM   #16
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kft View Post
Hi Bron, I'm seeing a problem here as well when using the web interface. Whenever I send an email now it hangs 5-10 seconds. This behavior just started recently, and actually really impacts productivity, because I'm blocked completely from doing anything else in the Fastmail UI while it is sending. If you think of going through a large number of emails and replying first thing in the morning, and you're blocked eight seconds for each one, then you've already been sitting waiting for over a minute for just replying to eight emails (!!).

I know that you know this, but the traditional user experience for email is that it queues and whatever work it needs to do to send gets taken care of as the queue gets processed - i.e., not blocking the user. While there may be technical/implementation issues with this, the Fastmail web UI really shouldn't impact the UX because of them.

Should I file a trouble ticket about this as well? I'm not sure if it would be helpful if others have already filed them.

Thanks for listening!
I'm exactly in the same situation as 5kft is
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 01:03 AM   #17
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Yes, for the last few weeks, sending an e-mail from the web has become very time consuming. I really haven't noticed any other FastMail slowdowns, but sending is extremely unpleasant now. Click "Send," and wait ... wait ... wait.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 07:08 AM   #18
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Hi Bron, I'm seeing a problem here as well when using the web interface. Whenever I send an email now it hangs 5-10 seconds. This behavior just started recently, and actually really impacts productivity, because I'm blocked completely from doing anything else in the Fastmail UI while it is sending. If you think of going through a large number of emails and replying first thing in the morning, and you're blocked eight seconds for each one, then you've already been sitting waiting for over a minute for just replying to eight emails (!!).

I know that you know this, but the traditional user experience for email is that it queues and whatever work it needs to do to send gets taken care of as the queue gets processed - i.e., not blocking the user. While there may be technical/implementation issues with this, the Fastmail web UI really shouldn't impact the UX because of them.

Should I file a trouble ticket about this as well? I'm not sure if it would be helpful if others have already filed them.

Thanks for listening!
Actually, yes please. If it's fairly new behaviour for a bunch of users it might be indicative of a bigger problem that just isn't noticed on all accounts, but something about your accounts has become slower. The more datapoints, the better we're able to track it down.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 07:51 AM   #19
5kft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Actually, yes please. If it's fairly new behaviour for a bunch of users it might be indicative of a bigger problem that just isn't noticed on all accounts, but something about your accounts has become slower. The more datapoints, the better we're able to track it down.
OK - I have filed a ticket. Thanks!
5kft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 07:57 AM   #20
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
OK - I have filed a ticket. Thanks!
I assume I got the right one Grabbed a ticket that looked like it was probably you!
Old 2 Dec 2017, 09:06 AM   #21
5kft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I assume I got the right one Grabbed a ticket that looked like it was probably you!
Ah, apologies! My ticket is PTN390597. I really appreciate anything you could do regarding it!
5kft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2017, 09:22 AM   #22
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Ah, apologies! My ticket is PTN390597. I really appreciate anything you could do regarding it!
Yep, that's the one - just waiting for you to consent to me screwing around with it and sending some messages to a test account so I can get timing data for the whole stack on that account

Ditto anyone else here - I see the other tickets have been closed by support already, but if you want me to look in your account you can reopen the ticket. I'm going to grab them all so I see all the responses.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 09:32 AM   #23
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
OK, I've taken over all the tickets mentioned in this thread as well as added myself to the internal tracking task. As I mentioned privately to 5kft already, it's my weekend and I have family responsibilities, so I'll just looking at this when I get time in between other things.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 10:45 PM   #24
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Well ... I was going to submit a ticket this morning, but as luck would have it, sending speed seems to be back to normal for the first time in almost two weeks. Not sure if this the result of something Bron did in response to other tickets or just a fluke. Either way, I'm pleased. If the problem recurs, I will file a ticket promptly, but for now, all is well.
Old 2 Dec 2017, 11:21 PM   #25
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
Well ... I was going to submit a ticket this morning, but as luck would have it, sending speed seems to be back to normal for the first time in almost two weeks. Not sure if this the result of something Bron did in response to other tickets or just a fluke. Either way, I'm pleased. If the problem recurs, I will file a ticket promptly, but for now, all is well.
Unfortunately nothing has changed for me.
Still very slow...
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2017, 03:33 AM   #26
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I've been having issues too. Ticket PTN390951.

For me, replies are slow (taking about 5 seconds of "Sending"), while new messages aren't.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2017, 03:45 AM   #27
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
I've been having issues too. Ticket PTN390951.

For me, replies are slow (taking about 5 seconds of "Sending"), while new messages aren't.

Andy
Out of curiosity, does there seem to be any difference depending on whether you are using Conversations on or off? I wonder if there might be something odd happening when rebuilding conversation lists.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2017, 03:45 AM   #28
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Yep ... after reporting yesterday that the situation had improved for me, the problem is back today. Same slowdown on sending messages, and just as bad as it's been for the past few weeks. I have also filed a ticket and mentioned this thread.

Ticket number PTN390953
Old 4 Dec 2017, 03:50 AM   #29
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Out of curiosity, does there seem to be any difference depending on whether you are using Conversations on or off? I wonder if there might be something odd happening when rebuilding conversation lists.
That's an interesting theory and worth checking out. In my case, I always have conversations on, so will have to switch them off in order to test.

Also, before anyone asks, size of the message doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Whether an e-mail is large (html with multiple attachments) or tiny (just a few words of plain text), the slowdown is the same.
Old 4 Dec 2017, 04:02 AM   #30
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I have Conversations turned off.
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote