EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 19 Oct 2014, 03:00 AM   #1
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Cannot establish a secure connection with VFEmail.net or Openmail.cc

I noticed today that I could no longer establish a secure https connection with VFEmail.net or Openmail.cc, but an unsecured http connection still worked.

There was nothing about this on the VFEmail forum, but their twitter feed had a post from the relevant time period that stated the following --

We were NOT vulnerable to POODLE, but we've increased the minimum SSL encryption requirements and dropped SSLv3.

What does this mean in practical terms? Why should an increase in SSL protection prevent me from establishing a secure connection at all?

LATER EDIT -

Yes, I do realize that older browsers use SSLv3 and that is probably the reason why I can no longer establish an SSL connection in this case. I should have been clearer with my question. I meant to ask, since completely 'bare' plain HTTP connections are still supported if a user wants to risk that sort of exposure, then why not also allow 'backwards-compatibility' with older browsers if a user is content with that level of risk, which is still considerably better than nothing? Why compel users to choose between a forced browser upgrade or 'going bare'?

Last edited by communicant : 19 Oct 2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: addition
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote