EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Jul 2017, 02:00 AM   #1
evilquoll

Exclamation Strange glitch in Edit Rules scheme?

I have just (for only the second time) used the Edit Rules screen in the Modern interface; I have been converting the filtering rules of my Guest account (which closes in about two weeks) so that any matching mail, as well as being sorted into the matching folder as before, will also be forwarded to a corresponding folder on my Basic (formerly Member) account.

This of course entailed adding another rule, such that all mail which doesn't match the other rules gets forwarded to the robertbak.inbox folder anyway. That rule appeared at the start of the list, making the other rules redundant; but when I went into Edit Sieve to correct this, I found that it had actually been created at the end of the list as intended, so it should work correctly.

I hope this setup works...
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Jul 2017, 05:57 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don't understand what you are calling a glitch. The normal rules sieve processing order is as follows::
  • Discard rules
  • Spam filtering
  • Forwarding rules - All forwarding rules are executed, so the order is unimportant.
  • Organize into folder rules - These use an if ... else if .. structure, so if an organize into folder rule is matched the later organize rules are ignored. So you are allowed to drag organize rules to change their order.
If you add a "all messages" forwarding rule, it is placed at the end of the organize sieve section (not at the end of the complete sieve script). But since the forward rules all use redirect :copy for no side effects, I don't think the ordering within the organize section makes any difference in how the rules are executed, and it's at the end just for readability and understanding by humans reading the script. If you have a "all messages" forwarding rule, all of the other forwarding rules will be executed (if they match) in addition to the "all messages" rule.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote