EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:06 AM   #76
squiz0

Red face

Wow. This really is f***ed up. I followed the situation now and stayed calm in hope that the service will be restored as soon as possible. Now the frontpage states that the service is being shut down. How unprofessional is that at all? I as a client don't care what your troubles are and i whish the best for you but won't agree with your decision. If you planned to shutdown the service then you could have stated it some time up front such that we could have had the time to rearrange ourstuff.

I would at least like to have the service online for 1-2 days such that i can answer pending emails and transfer to another service.
squiz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:10 AM   #77
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

RIP Lavabit

My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:19 AM   #78
mve

Very sad indeed. I do applaud Ladar for his honesty. I hope Lavabit can one day indeed be resurrected.
mve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:19 AM   #79
petergh
Master of the @

Wow. I read this whole thread wondering what on earth was going on, and this is the last post. I'm speechless.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:20 AM   #80
c151

Madness

What is going to happen to our e-mails? This is crazy.
c151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:21 AM   #81
pwnfest

So it's a case of he's done, and we have lost mail. ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC
pwnfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:23 AM   #82
Greensky

Sad conclusion. I regret not to have been warned in advance, so I would have had the time to change my subscription to various newsletters that were arriving on my Lavabit account.
Greensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:24 AM   #83
pwnfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnfest View Post
So it's a case of he's done, and we have lost mail. ****.
Oh... and **** him for lying to start with.

If we knew the situation sooner we could have made other arrangements
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:24 AM   #84
PeteLavabit

New update from Ladar is at: http://lavabit.com/

I was kept as much in the dark about this announcement as others. I will try to find out what the story is in regards to the previous information about the storage system.

Edit: It seems that others here beat me to the punch. Sorry.
PeteLavabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:27 AM   #85
pwnfest

Oh... and Pete Lavabit, thanks...

For also completely misleading us on the actual situation.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:28 AM   #86
Greensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLavabit View Post
New update from Ladar is at: http://lavabit.com/

I was kept as much in the dark about this announcement as others. I will try to find out what the story is in regards to the previous information about the storage system.

Edit: It seems that others here beat me to the punch. Sorry.
I hope for you that doesn't mean you've lost your job.
Greensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:30 AM   #87
squiz0

Red face

The worst thing besides lost emails and lost contacts is that he has the balls to put a donation link under that message after this mess.

I'm really disappointed and angry. Maybe he underestimates how important email still is for some. It's like a hard drive failure without backup now.
squiz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:31 AM   #88
Wilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiz0 View Post
The worst thing besides lost emails and lost contacts is that he has the balls to put a donation link under that message after this mess.

I'm really disappointed and angry. Maybe he underestimates how important email still is for some. It's like a hard drive failure without backup now.
Did you read the message? There is a (very good) reason that link is there...
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:33 AM   #89
c151

I don't think that's a good reason. This is an unprofessional way out.
c151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:35 AM   #90
mve

Squiz0 .- If you care for privacy I would suggest donating on said link. For me, all of my paid accounts constitute my first donation. No need to return the money paid.

Good luck Pete. Good luck Ladar.
mve is offline   Reply With Quote