EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Dec 2016, 10:10 PM   #1
alistair234

Premium Packages

Hi, I've been a FastMail/Enhanced package member since as long as I can remember. And logged on to billing section and noticed new yearly packages. When did these packages start ? Are FastMail not doing multi year packages anymore ? I've still got about 3 years left on my current enhanced subscription, what happens after my 3 years run out, do I automatically go onto the new yearly plans?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't log into web interface much as I use Apple Mail to get my email.
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Dec 2016, 10:23 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

The changes took place last August. This blog post explains the rationale. The general consensus is that most enhanced users will probably want to continue with their existing subscription for the time being.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair234 View Post
. . . Are FastMail not doing multi year packages anymore ? I've still got about 3 years left on my current enhanced subscription, what happens after my 3 years run out, do I automatically go onto the new yearly plans?

. . .
Hello, Alistair.

When I checked last week, you could still renew an Enhaced (now legacy Enhanced) account for up to five years.

At this time, it's hard to predict which direction the wind will blow Fastmail in the future. It may be that they keep the legacy accounts for members who were already subscribed to them when the new plans came out, or they may do away with them in five years when five year subscriptions expire.

Unless you prefer the new plans, you may wish to renew your Enhanced account for five years while you still are able to.

Good luck.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2016, 02:39 PM   #4
rnkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair234 View Post
I've still got about 3 years left on my current enhanced subscription, what happens after my 3 years run out, do I automatically go onto the new yearly plans?
Despite misinformation on these forums, FastMail staff took great pains to reassure anyone on existing plans can renew those plans indefinitely.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2016, 07:32 PM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkn View Post
Despite misinformation on these forums, FastMail staff took great pains to reassure anyone on existing plans can renew those plans indefinitely.
Notwithstanding Fastmail's assurances to the contrary, once you've been around long enough, you learn that "indefinitely" doesn't necessarily mean "forever," but only for as long as it is convenient or expedient for a business to offer a feature or product.

Of course, if you want to drink the corporate Kool Aid, go ahead.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2016, 09:31 PM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
Notwithstanding Fastmail's assurances to the contrary, once you've been around long enough, you learn that "indefinitely" doesn't necessarily mean "forever," but only for as long as it is convenient or expedient for a business to offer a feature or product.

Of course, if you want to drink the corporate Kool Aid, go ahead.

--
Jacinto
You are correct that one should not be naive, but unjustified cynicism is also to be avoided. Specifically on subscriptions, Fastmail has behaved impeccably over the years. Existing plans have, to my recollection, always been grandfathered when changes in charging take place. For example, the existing free accounts and member accounts are still supported many years after new subscriptions were no longer allowed. Those wanting to upgrade from member will even now receive credit for the payment they made all those years ago towards their new plan.

Certain functionality that we had been lead to believe would be supported "indefinitely" has been removed. I think there has been reasonable justification in most cases, though I fault Fastmail for, in recent years, too often introducing changes without notice.

No company is perfect, but I do not see Fastmail (at least yet) as an organization spewing insincere PR to cover up their real intentions. (I should note, however, that I did see that for a short period during the Opera era.)
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote