EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Dec 2023, 09:47 AM   #1
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Web UI: Can't Open New Tabs For Messages

Starting about yesterday, in the web UI (desktop, Firefox) I can no longer Command-Click (I'm on a Mac) to open single messages into new tabs.

Anyone else having this problem?

I've been reading my FM email in the web UI multiple times per day for over a decade and am used to clicking each message into a new browser tab, while Inbox remains in my primary tab. Maybe most people do it the usual/opposite way, handling all email reading in 1 single tab, but not me. I need to juggle multiple emails while monitoring my Inbox, hence my affinity for multiple tabs.

Before I contact FM Support on this possible UI bug, I thought I'd reach out here to corroborate with others.

Command-Clicking the Inbox (or using FF's Duplicate Tab feature) each time I'm about to open a message is currently my clumsy workaround while this problem is currently in play.

I also noticed (not a bug) that in the Spam folder, they recently moved the score column over a bit to the right. So, I bet they did a UI release recently.
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Dec 2023, 10:06 AM   #2
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Well, minutes after I started this thread, the problem went away, even though it was 100% consistent over the past 24+ hours (and also observable on web/mobile).

Maybe FM fixed the bug on their own, or maybe other users complained faster than I did. (I'd love to think that FM was monitoring this forum, saw my post, then implemented a quick-fix, but I don't think that kind of thing has happened here in many years.)
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2023, 11:59 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I hadn't noticed that, but I believe I have seen another UI issues when using the web interface erratically in the last day or so. When I try other UI actions (such as replying to a message), nothing happens. This might be a network communication issue, but I have only noticed it in the last day or two. This issue is erratic. Also, early today my existing web sessions would not open, even though the iOS and iPadOS apps worked properly. I closed all Fastmail windows and logged in again and everything started working properly again.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Dec 2023, 09:58 PM   #4
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

I've also noticed a few times that the Reply 'button' fails to work in the Windows UI using Firefox. Sometimes refreshing the tab enables it to work. There's no particular pattern to it.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2023, 12:52 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenman View Post
I've also noticed a few times that the Reply 'button' fails to work in the Windows UI using Firefox. Sometimes refreshing the tab enables it to work. There's no particular pattern to it.
Fwiiw, I have noticed problems with multiple websites (not just Fastmail) over the last few days with UI elements randomly not responding normally. I have encountered this with both Chrome and Brave browsers. Possibly, the issues are not Fastmail's fault, but problems introduced by recent updates to the underlying Chromium code.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2023, 02:43 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I received the following response from Fastmail support today:
Quote:
The issue appears to be related to with the persistent cache not syncing the new changes, possibly because of an error with push. On Dec 5th we rolled out a significant change that we believe should improve this interaction and hopefully would have addressed the issue you were seeing.

Can you please let us know if you are still seeing this problem?
I’m don’t think this has completely fixed this issue, but I’m going to do more testing before I reply.

Bill
Old 15 Dec 2023, 06:56 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

After some testing, I think that the sync between calendar and notes and the server is fixed. But the push which came out on Dec 5 seems to have caused the problem with the web UI erratically not responding. I saw this issue again today with the Notes feature and responded to my Fastmail ticket.

Bill
Old 18 Dec 2023, 03:37 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Correction to my previous post: Further testing showed me that the sync between Notes on the server is not fixed yet on the web interface. Support says the cause is the browser persistent storage cache is not getting overwritten by the new data from the Fastmail server. They thought the Dec 5, 2023, update would improve the situation, but I think it just caused the web UI to erratically stop working. I have reported these issues on my support ticket.

Bill