EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Aug 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
fhapgood
Master of the @

sending to multiple recipients

I have a list of addresses and would like to send the same email to every address on the list w/o sending them one by one. Of course
I could enroll each address to a mailing list and send to the list, but that is almost as much trouble. I see that I can select all the names
in the list, but I don't see how to import the selected group into the compose and send process. If I click on 'all' and then on 'compose' the selected addresses are not read into the 'To' field, which would be the perfect solution to my problem.

Fred
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Aug 2008, 03:41 AM   #2
Sherry

Hi Fred,

You can click on Compose first then on that screen click on the button for Address Book on the right (not the link on the top menu). You can then select all the addresses. You'll see three buttons above giving a choice of "To selected" or "Cc selected" or "Bcc selected". Personally I would choose the Bcc button so I wouldn't be showing all the addresses to the recipients.

You probably know this already but just in case - If you do this a lot you could put them in a Group and just type in/select the Group name.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:31 AM   #3
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hi Fred,

You can click on Compose first then on that screen click on the button for Address Book on the right (not the link on the top menu). You can then select all the addresses. You'll see three buttons above giving a choice of "To selected" or "Cc selected" or "Bcc selected". Personally I would choose the Bcc button so I wouldn't be showing all the addresses to the recipients.
Alas these names are not in my address book, and even if they were, I would have no simple way of selecting them. (I'd have to search for address A, select it, then address B, etc.) They ARE all in the same folder. What I'd love to be able to do is select them all, which is an option in folder view, and then mail to all selected. You can do this in the 'compose' window but not in folder view.

It seems strange since there are already about two dozen actions available from the dropdown menu on the top (the first one being 'Delete). 'Send
to all selected' is just about the only action not on the list. Alas.
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Sherry

Sorry my suggestion won't work for you. I see what you're looking for now. I thought you were working from a (continual) list of names in the address book. Maybe someone will have an idea of how to do something that will work for you.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 06:41 AM   #5
JRobert
Master of the @

Maybe I misunderstand the problem, but can't you display the list of addresses, highlight them, Edit | Copy them, then start a message and Edit | Paste them into the To (or another) field?
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:48 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I think that what you must mean by suggesting 'Send to all selected' from the Mailbox screen is something like this:

(1) Select multiple messages in the Mailbox screen.

(2) Select your proposed 'Send to all selected' action and Do.

(3) This would create a new empty message in the Compose screen with the From addresses in those selected messages inserted into the To field.

(4) Of course, this doesn't create a new message to all possible involved addresses. The To and CC fields would be ignored, unless there was a 'Send to selected From/To/CC' action.

As a work-around, you could open a separate Compose window and cut/paste the individual addresses. See my next post for a better idea.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 11:40 AM   #7
zhak
Master of the @

What is the limit on the number of characters in an alias target field?
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 11:45 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Better idea using address book

I like Sherry's idea (using an Address Book group). You can do this quite easily for new addresses (NOT already in your address book). Here are the details:

(1) Open your online Address Book and make a new group with an appropriate name (Temp is fine if this is a one-time use of these addresses).

(2) Open the Mailbox screen and select the appropriate messages. You can use the Search feature to assist in this. Or the 'Select all in folder' action, etc.

(3) Now use one of these Actions:
(a) Save all addresses
(b) Save sender addresses
(c) Save recipient addresses

(4) When you select the Action Do button you will enter the Add to address book screen.
(a) At the top, select the new group you created. This can also be an old group if you are doing this repeatedly, building a big address list from multiple folders or at different times.
(b) Examine the new address book entries and change if needed. Note that only new addresses (not previously in your address book, without regard to groups) will be visible to add.
(c) Select the Add/Discard button to add the new addresses to the group you selected.

(5) You will need to add any existing (old) addresses to this group using regular Address Book features. You do this by selecting addresses, then use the + button by the desired group to add them to that group.

(6) Now you send to the new group from the Compose screen. If you want to send to all of those in the group, simply enter the group name (case is ignored) in To, CC, or as Sherry suggested (and I strongly agree) BCC. Then select the Check Names button and the group nane will be expanded to all addresses in that group. Cool!

(7) You can leave the TO and CC fields empty and only populate the BCC field. Each person will get an email To "undisclosed recipients" and the only addresses they will see is your address (which is set by personalities or manually changed in Compose) and any addresses you place in TO or CC. Sometimes I create a special From or To address using my normal address and a special "display name" portion. Such as:
"Club mailing list" <normalias@domain.xxx>

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote