EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2010, 07:11 AM   #1
digp
Master of the @

What now?

Is there a road map for opera/fastmail?

why have things gone quiet?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Prognathous
Master of the @

I was wandering the same thing. I find the silence a bit worrying, which is why I just renewed my Enhanced account for a period of 1 year (unlike the last time, where I renewed for 3 years).

Prog.

Last edited by Prognathous : 28 Sep 2010 at 03:02 AM.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2010, 11:48 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Well, was there a road map for pre-Opera FM? For those who need a new feature every month there always is the beta version...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Prognathous
Master of the @

There use to be a "Coming Enhancements" page, but it was discontinued a few years ago. It wasn't much of an issue because the Fastmail team has been vocal enough about upcoming features, but they've been much quieter after the service was acquired.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:41 AM   #5
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Maybe things are quiet because all is running smoothly.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

I have said this before on the forum, as we approach the end of the year 2010, I would be surprised if I saw any "major" visible improvements to FM.

I have heard through the forum, that there has been some minor improvements made to the FM interface through FM's beta version however, I am not sure these minor improvements have been rolled out into production yet.

Now if a whole year passes by (2011), and there has NOT been any major visible changes made to FM then thats when I would start to say something, (assuming I was looking for new features, etc, since the Opera takeover).

David

Last edited by EdinwolfPA : 27 Sep 2010 at 05:18 AM.
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:12 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lightbulb Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Email clients and service providers are tools, and I'm glad these tools don't have major visible user interface changes every month!

We are nearing three quarters through the year, and here is what I see on the Fastmail blog as improvements so far in 2010:
  • Truedomain anti-phishing and email authentication
  • IP throttling feature (guards against DDOS attacks to user web-enabled file storage)
  • Yubikey authenication
  • Opportunistic SSL/TLS encryption on outgoing emails (incoming encryption from other servers was implemented last year)
  • Restore from backup (this was a major feature, to my knowledge unavailable from any other provider)
  • Custom Sieve changes to allow both forms-based rules and custom Sieve to be used together
  • Migrate IMAP feature improvements
  • External SMTP server feature (in Personalities screen)
  • Folder spam/purge changes and UI additions
  • Quota increases for all accounts
  • New POP/IMAP server (major improvements in email replication, performance, integrity, strict MODSEQ, QRESYNC support and full IMAP test suite conformance, and other code cleanup.
  • Archive billing for business accounts
  • Changes to extra quota pricing which allow users to pay for only what they need
Several of these were major changes and I'm sure took many weeks of hard work. I don't see other email providers making these improvements so rapidly. So I'm confused by the complaints that things have "gone quiet". And to quote from the Fastmail Newsletter sent out via email on Aug 18, 2010:
Quote:
New FastMail developments

It's been over 3 months since FastMail was acquired by Opera Software, and we want to give our users a quick summary of what's been happening.
The first any most important thing is that we're continuing to develop and expand FastMail, its infrastructure and systems. All of the original development and support staff continue to work at Opera on the FastMail email system.
Thanks to new hardware purchases from Opera, we have been able to increase storage quotas, and with Bron's hard work, we released a large update to our IMAP server.
There's also been lots of behind the scenes hardware upgrades that have allowed us to replace over a dozen ageing servers with a new blade center that's many times more powerful computing wise, and with the added benefits of taking up less space, less power and generating less heat. These hardware upgrades will allow us to continue to grow smoothly in the future.
There's also lots of ongoing work on new ideas and products. Neil Jenkins, the main designer of FastMail's new web interface has finished university and has just started working for the mail team at Opera. We're also looking for a new backend developer (see below). There's design work and ideas on new interface improvements, and optimisations for mobile platforms in the works.
If users want to keep up to date on the latest developments, we recommend you check out our blog for regular posts. You can also subscribe to the RSS feed in your favourite news reader. Alternatively, if you don't use an RSS reader or don't want to go to the site regularly, you can subscribe to receive updates via email.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:43 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Like Bill, I see some steady progress, though to say Fastmail has progressed more this year than any other email service is going too far I think.

Based on reliability and features, I recommend Fastmail to many companies and power users. Funnily enough, one of my reservations is that I think Fastmail sometimes tries to implement changes too quickly and with insufficient QA. I see effects on availability caused by this, and see it as a risk. However, the other side of that is that they are very good at reacting quickly to fix their mistakes, or deal with other urgent issues.

I see some evidence that Opera is committed to Fastmail and investing in its future. That is good enough for me. I can wait for individual feature improvements.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:48 PM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I see some evidence that Opera is committed to Fastmail and investing in its future
Details, please??
Personally I know of no evidence of Opera's commitment to FM (or lack thereof).
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:42 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

It would seem to me that Opera are certainly committed to Fastmail but not in the way that most folk here are expecting. They will (IMHO) absorb the company into their existing infrastructure, as happened with Oddpost when they were acquired by Yahoo, a few years ago now.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:47 PM   #11
ReuvenNY

It looks to me that they are actually leaving FM alone - the old crew is running it 100%. Did not see any signs that they are staring to absorb FM into their current structure.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 12:08 AM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

You may very well be correct ReuvenNY. What I stated was in my mind after the acquisition was first completed; I still consider this to be a distinct possibility.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:05 AM   #13
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Is there a road map for opera/fastmail?

why have things gone quiet?
Basically, Opera don't like to talk about specific future features, but they do have definite plans for what they want to do with the technology and the team.

Work has already started, and we hope to ramp up more shortly. As Bill indicated, we have been updating the blog. So, we always recommend you keep an eye there.

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:13 AM   #14
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarali View Post
...but they do have definite plans for what they want to do with the technology and the team.
Sure, they bought the technology to provide messaginging services to link into their existing products, and the team will be involved in that.

But, how about the Fastmail service specifically? Any plans?
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2010, 02:52 PM   #15
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
Sure, they bought the technology to provide messaginging services to link into their existing products, and the team will be involved in that.

But, how about the Fastmail service specifically? Any plans?
I was referring to the Fastmail "service" as well.. Opera has definite plans about that.

My recommendation is to keep an eye on the blog.

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote