EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Feb 2021, 10:36 PM   #1
digp
Master of the @

Fastmail - app passwords

Since when were these removed from the basic plan?

"App Passwords"

Additional apps such as Outlook or Apple Mail are not supported on your plan. Please upgrade if you would like to use these with your account.

It is sufficiently irritating to think about changing providers!!!!

This is absolutely pathetic.

Archive machine suggests it is a change rolled out in the last month or so. This should have been announced.

Really disgusted with fm's approach here.

(And no it is not a fair reply to say the FM app exists, that is just pants.)
digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Feb 2021, 01:09 AM   #2
emoore
Essential Contributor

I'm still on a legacy plan since they don't provide U2F support for 3rd party email clients (that support U2F like Thunderbird does). I'm looking forward to using JMAP when Thunderbird adds support for it. But this change means I'd have to upgrade to standard, not basic. Sigh.
emoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2021, 04:41 AM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

What am I missing here? I have a basic plan and have an app password set up for my Thunderbird. Is not supporting them for this plan take effect when it comes time to renew?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2021, 05:31 AM   #4
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Wow. I used to think FastMail was a bit like Apple: charge a higher price for a superior product. But changes like this make me think of them more like Intiuit: make changes to screw your customers and milk more money out of them.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2021, 09:49 AM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Update to my earlier post...

I see nothing in the Billing & Plan summaries or the Password & Security's App Passwords section indicating this feature is not available. That's true for beta or release FM.

But...

Not logging in and clicking Pricing shows in the table for Basic "Your choice of email apps (Outlook, iPhone Mail)" has an X next to it. So I wonder what's going to happen when it comes time to renew my account?

I guess it's "ticket time" to ask.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 02:05 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its in my account in passwords and security....not in Billing

Its about a 20 year old account...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2021, 02:27 PM   #7
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Its in my account in passwords and security....not in Billing
As I previously said I looked in my (Basic) account's Password & Security settings and see nothing out of the ordinary. My Thunderbird works just fine with it's app password. FWIW my account is about 3 years old.
Old 13 Feb 2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its there he just has to look harder for the log in part... to gain a new app password

Click on manage

Last edited by Terry : 13 Feb 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 04:54 AM   #9
pjroutledge

From Fastmail Support (click 'Learn more' on the screen where you manage app passwords):

"Users on a Basic plan will not be able to use Fastmail on third-party mail clients, or create app passwords. IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are available to Standard and Professional users only. If you have a Basic plan, you can use Fastmail on a desktop web browser or the Fastmail app on any mobile devices, such as a phone or tablet."
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2021, 05:43 AM   #10
digp
Master of the @

It has been removed.

Perhaps they will grandfather existing users in. Perhaps they will not.

A very basic feature like that should not be removed from the basic package.

I have been forced to upgrade to get it on a new account BUT they have lost the goodwill they had with me.

If a viable alternative exists I will jump ship.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 05:44 AM   #11
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
From Fastmail Support (click 'Learn more' on the screen where you manage app passwords):

"Users on a Basic plan will not be able to use Fastmail on third-party mail clients, or create app passwords. IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are available to Standard and Professional users only. If you have a Basic plan, you can use Fastmail on a desktop web browser or the Fastmail app on any mobile devices, such as a phone or tablet."
Fastmail support has also sunk really badly. This is not the only example. Giving out incorrect information.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 05:46 AM   #12
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
What am I missing here? I have a basic plan and have an app password set up for my Thunderbird. Is not supporting them for this plan take effect when it comes time to renew?
If you find out please post here. Thank you.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 05:59 AM   #13
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post

So nice of them to bury it down in there. I've updated my ticket telling them of my displeasure (and reiterated my question about what happens at renewal time).

Last edited by xyzzy : 14 Feb 2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 14 Feb 2021, 07:08 AM   #14
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
Since when were these removed from the basic plan?
Since about August 2020. This is the old pricing page: http://web.archive.org/web/202008142...l.com/pricing/
The “Your choice of email apps (Outlook, iPhone Mail)” has not yet been added to the list here.
Sneaky.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2021, 08:21 AM   #15
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

It's only $24 more a year to upgrade.

Last edited by Terry : 14 Feb 2021 at 08:34 AM.