EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 May 2014, 11:40 PM   #1
MagicDavid

Lightbulb [Feature Request] Email / bulk mail digest

Hi Fastmail Team

The amount of email we all receive is increasing every year. Many email providers and third parties now have an email digest feature. The most basic is just filing it into another folder to be sorted all at once at a time that suits the user.

The more clever versions save up the mail and deliver it either once or twice a day in a summary email. So rather than getting bombarded with newsletters, flyers etc which we do want to read at some point they arrive digested in one email.

A third party tool which does this is https://www.theswizzle.com/ however you need to give it your login details, which I'm not happy with. But how else would it access your email.

I think having a feature like that (and there must be some Open Source code which does this) would be great for Fastmail. I understand that having a calendar is a bit of a hygiene factor for some users, but digests would be a useful feature for managing the volumes of email we are getting in 2014.

Thanks

David
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 May 2014, 03:11 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I (and many others) have done something similar for many years. Here is how it works:
  • Set up one or more aliases (or virtual aliases if you use your own domain). I have one specific alias I use for subscribing to news sites and companies which send me several messages each day or week. For example, "feed@example.com".
  • Sign up with sites using subdomain addresses based on your alias. For example: news@feed.example.com, sears@feed.example.com, etc.
  • Either set up a folder named "feed" (the alias name) or use the alias target field to get mail for that alias targeting a specific folder.
  • If you have the alias targeting set up properly, you can even set up subfolders for the specific service. In my example, set up folders feed.news and feed.sears (where news and sears are subfolders of feed). The messages will be delivered into the appropriate folder automatically.
  • You can also set up automatic discarding of old messages in specific folders (on the Advanced>Folders setup screen for the individual folder).
  • Be sure to set the folder to learn as non-spam so you will continue to receive those newsletters.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 06:34 AM   #3
MagicDavid

Great! Many thanks for your reply. I'll try that out. The slight problem is where I have newsletters delivered to my existing account - where I have an email as a sign on. But this will work for all new subscriptions and any where it's easy to change the address.

Thanks again for replying.
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicDavid View Post
... The slight problem is where I have newsletters delivered to my existing account - where I have an email as a sign on. But this will work for all new subscriptions and any where it's easy to change the address...
Most newsletters should provide some method for changing your address. An advantage of using these different addresses is that you can determine when they sell your address (or it is released in a security breach).

You can also use a rule to move newsletter messages to a folder. Use either the From address or something in the subject.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote