EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Mar 2009, 09:59 PM   #1
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Question Thunderbird issue with folder indexes for new mail

I just opened Thunderbird, and the indexes in all of my folders are suddenly displaying blanks in place of the subject, sender and recipient fields. If I open the mail, the message itself displays normally, and all of the fields look right in the message pane. But I can no longer sort on anything but received date (i.e., all new mail shows up at the top/bottom when sorted by the 'blank' fields, more or less as I would expect if they really were blank). When I look at the web interface, everything looks normal. Anyone else seeing this, and have any idea what's going on? Everything was fine yesterday, and as far as I know, Thunderbird hasn't changed.

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Mar 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
IanUK

Thunderbird Folder Indexes Problem

Seeing the same issue since around 08:00 GMT today using Thunderbird 1.5 for IMAP access to FM. Problem occurs on three different installations of TB 1.5 and with two separate FM mail accounts. Tried reinstalling TB 1.5 with no extensions in case of conflict but problem of blank message listings for new messages in IMAP folders still occurs. Hope there's a fix soon - until then I'll have to use the FM web interface for e-mail.

--
Ian
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 12:49 AM   #3
MikeL
Essential Contributor

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, myself (using IMAP also). Anyone else seeing this sort of thing with any other IMAP clients?

-Mike
Old 24 Mar 2009, 01:22 AM   #4
kilaana

I am seeing the same problem, both on my Thunderbird client (v 2.0.0.21) and the Windows Mobile 6 mail client on my Pocket PC. This started at about 13:00 GMT today (3/23/09).
kilaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 01:22 AM   #5
rmmarsh

I have the same problem...

I have the same problem... sent an email to the support group (don't know how long it will take for them to see it)... I have isolated it to fastmail because I have another account that I also read with Thunderbird.
rmmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 02:00 AM   #6
rmmarsh

Not fixed!

I have just checked the blog and it states the problem is fixed... I would like to inform somebody in support that it is NOT fixed... it might be fixed in the web interface, but when using Thunderbird, it is not fixed! (There have been no changes to Thunderbird from when it was working yesterday!)

R
rmmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 04:29 AM   #7
pw1

I'm having the same with problem Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 on Ubuntu 8.10.
pw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:20 AM   #8
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Is that EVERY new message, or just messages whos details were fetched during the window (about 20 minutes) where the server was returning empty cache record details for the most recent message in the folder?
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:23 AM   #9
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
If it is just some old messages, a possible workaround is to move the affected messages into another folder and then back again. This will cause them to get a new UID on the server.

If that doesn't fix it in thunderbird, you may need to close thunderbird and do the moves on the web interface. When you re-open thunderbird it won't know that it's the same message, so will re-download it. That should definitely fix it

Bron.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 09:27 AM   #10
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Ok - issue confirmed here. Ouch. I'm on it!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 10:01 AM   #11
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Ok - fixed. But I'm not sure if you can flush the cache or how to make thunderbird re-fetch the envelope data.

New messages will be fine, of course. No data was lost, it was just not displaying headers properly on fetch...

Grr... I obviously really need to test that bit of code a lot more... that's two problems it had already. Major visible ones!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 10:26 AM   #12
kt0157

Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
Ok - fixed. But I'm not sure if you can flush the cache or how to make thunderbird re-fetch the envelope data.
I can now confirm it's fixed for the iPhone and Mac Mail too.
kt0157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2009, 10:45 AM   #13
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Fixed for me, too, and moving the messages in and out of the folder restores the header fields for the messages which had been affected earlier. Thanks!!!

-Mike
Old 25 Mar 2009, 03:13 AM   #14
pw1

It's fixed for me too

The easiest way to reindex folder in order to restore the header fields for earlier messages is to right-click on the folder and choose for "Properties..." and then click the button "Rebuild index".
pw1 is offline   Reply With Quote