EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Cool Silly questions you've always wanted to ask, but never have!

Ok, well this is a thread for all those things that you have no idea about and presume everyone else must no (therefore u don't ask!)

For example, my question is ~ what does it mean when (sic) appears after a slang word or place name? Sensical Index Charisma?!?!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Nov 2005, 03:20 PM   #2
anj
Master of the @

When you are quoting something, it means the mistake or typo was in the original; it is not yours.

Why are there 60 seconds in a minute?
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
sparky752

Re: Silly questions you've always wanted to ask, but never have!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
Ok, well this is a thread for all those things that you have no idea about and presume everyone else must no (therefore u don't ask!)

For example, my question is ~ what does it mean when (sic) appears after a slang word or place name? Sensical Index Charisma?!?!
From answers.com:
Thus; so. Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.

Usually to show that the quoter is not making a typo.
sparky752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Chipper
Master of the @

Why -- MCA?
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2005, 02:34 PM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipper
Why -- MCA?
The village people would know
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Why are there 60 seconds in a minute?
Per Wikipedia, because a long time ago someone found it more convenient than powers of 10.

(Did you "presume everyone else must no" (sic) the answer to this question? I, for one, didn't...)
Old 25 Nov 2005, 11:52 PM   #7
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
I think it's intelligent philosophy, but all my friends say it's stupid. Is time real or is it a made-up interface for us humans to work with?

Also, one slightly-more-common one, why do the front of water bottles always tell you there's no sodium in it? I mean...I usually assume that the companies aren't getting their water from the ocean.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 12:17 AM   #8
curious
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot Is time real or is it a made-up interface for us humans to work with?
Our ability to measure time has changed, which has changed how we spend time (in other words, interface is key!) For a good history of time measurement, including some discussion of cultural impact, check out David Landes' Revolution in Time. Very stimulating book.
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 05:59 AM   #9
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

What is the difference between the one- and two-disc version of Shrek 2?  (Apart from the fact that the former is £5.99 at Woolworth's when one spends £5 or more, whilst the latter is £8.97 at Tesco's.)

The one-disc edition includes all the extras including the new ending and the "Making Of" features, so is there any point in the two-disc edition?
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 10:15 AM   #10
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
What is the difference between the one- and two-disc version of Shrek 2?  (Apart from the fact that the former is £5.99 at Woolworth's when one spends £5 or more, whilst the latter is £8.97 at Tesco's.)

The one-disc edition includes all the extras including the new ending and the "Making Of" features, so is there any point in the two-disc edition?

See disc contents here.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2005, 02:44 PM   #11
anj
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S
(Did you "presume everyone else must no" (sic) the answer to this question? I, for one, didn't...)
I suppose I didn't really think everyone knew. It's just a question I'd feel silly asking normally, because maybe the answer is really simple, but my skull was too thick for me to realize it.

Usually, I am not aware of the things I don't know but everyone else does until one of those awkward moments where other people are nodding or laughing, and I'm just smiling stupidly...
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2005, 04:21 AM   #12
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Why do those in the UK and elsewhere in the Commonwealth use the spelling "criticise" etc, but not the spelling "sise" for "size"?
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2005, 04:50 PM   #13
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
Why do those in the UK and elsewhere in the Commonwealth use the spelling "criticise" etc, but not the spelling "sise" for "size"?
Perhaps its one of the endearing differences that seperate the commonweatlth countries from the independate state of the united states? For example; favourite vs favorite, colour vs color. Pronunciation of can't as kant vs carnt. etc

I guess english is evolving, and in time maybe even Australian might be a different language?
Old 27 Nov 2005, 05:04 PM   #14
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

Hmm. Well I currently work in a video store, and all I can say is that dvd/video releases do greatly differenciate region to region. We have shrek 1 + shrek 3d as a standard release of the first movie in australia...
Old 28 Nov 2005, 11:16 PM   #15
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Sorry xbot, your link wasn't entirely helpful as it went to amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk (hence the info was for the wrong region DVD) and to Shrek instead of Shrek 2; but it did tell me where to look.

However, going to the UK Amazon has still left me in the dark; the only thing the two-disc edition appears to have which the one-disc edition hasn't is talking packaging.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote