EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:11 AM   #1
mail2me
Master of the @

Webhosting Testing Feedback

I'm creating a new thread for feedback on the webhosting testing so far.

I'm pretty impressed with the Runbox Webhosting account so far.

1) Initially, I found when creating subdomains (htttp://subdomain.domain.tld) that they were only accessible as sub folders (http://www.domain.tld/subfolder). It may be a preference issue, but I personally prefer the subdomain format. This is now fixed and they now work as both.

2) I know that Runbox is still testing, but there was no documentation about how to log into the Control Panel to access the account features. I was however familiar with it because my other web host where I have a lifetime account for a one-time fee has a very similar system. Runbox will have to have user friendly documentation for newbies. I'm sure that this will be done before they go alive.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Apr 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The Runbox web hosting seems to be a standard Linux/cPanel package:

Operating system: Linux
Kernel version: 2.4.32-grsec
Machine Type: i686
Apache version: 1.3.34 (Unix)
PERL version: 5.8.7
PHP version: 4.4.2
MySQL version: 4.0.25-standard
cPanel Build: 10.8.1-RELEASE 113
Theme: cPanel X v2.5.0
cPanel Pro: 1.0 (RC36)

The test setup for my domain has these limits:

Subdomains: 5
Parked Domains: 0
Addon Domains: 0
MySQL Databases: 5
Postgresql Databases: 5
Email Accounts: 5
Mailing Lists: 5
Ftp Accounts: 5

I'm not sure if this represents a standard package or just a beta test package.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2006, 04:38 AM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: Webhosting Testing Feedback

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me
2) I know that Runbox is still testing, but there was no documentation about how to log into the Control Panel to access the account features.
Hmmm ... my email seemed pretty clear:

"You will want to update your dns settings and then log on to the control panel at:
MyDomainNameWasHere/cpanel/"

The email included the names of two DNS servers for setting the DNS at my domain registrar and it included my username and password for the cPanel login.

Documentation for using cPanel is in a link on your cPanel.

Regards,
Rich
Old 22 Apr 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
mail2me
Master of the @

Re: Re: Webhosting Testing Feedback

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
Hmmm ... my email seemed pretty clear:

"You will want to update your dns settings and then log on to the control panel at:
MyDomainNameWasHere/cpanel/"

The email included the names of two DNS servers for setting the DNS at my domain registrar and it included my username and password for the cPanel login.

Documentation for using cPanel is in a link on your cPanel.

Regards,
Rich
The above email is definitely clear. I'm afraid that I got a different email that gave a script of the new account creation that had the username and password; there was no reference on how to log on to the control panel in it.

I actually learned something new from the above post. Previously I used "MyDomainName:2082/". "MyDomainName/cpanel/" is much more user friendly and easier to remember. It works for my other web host account too. I wonder why they never mentioned it.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 10:54 AM   #5
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by rishi
mail2me,

btw where did you have your lifetime account ?
It's from a place called www.sydel.net and it was $50 for 50MB. They are redoing the website. Not sure whether they have discontinued the lifetime accounts, but my account is still working fine. Lifetime means as long as the company exists or until you die whichever occurs earlier. I'm prepared to take the risk because I think it is worthwhile. Companies do this for short periods to raise capital. I missed the lifetime offer from www.asmallorange.com so I went with this one.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 11:02 AM   #6
mail2me
Master of the @

Quote:
The test setup for my domain has these limits:

Subdomains: 5
Parked Domains: 0
Addon Domains: 0
MySQL Databases: 5
Postgresql Databases: 5
Email Accounts: 5
Mailing Lists: 5
Ftp Accounts: 5

I'm not sure if this represents a standard package or just a beta test package.

Regards,
Rich
I noticed this too. I would really like to have more subdomains. I prefer to organize my stuff into subdomains.

Eg: photos.mydomain.tld, calendar.mydomain.tld etc.

It may be a limitation for the test accounts only.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 05:01 PM   #7
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Good to see testing doing ok.
It will be good to get the major issues raised here so we can make support pages on www.runbox.net.
I will set up a separate area on the Runbox Wiki for Runbox Webhosting.

Yes, you log on using yourdomain.com/cpanel/
You can also log on before your domain is transfered using the IP number.

The hosting pack is a "regular" Cpanel hosting account with Fantastico (very easy to install scripts). Cpanel is by far the best control panel I have seen. We want the package to be competitive so please let me know if the current setup is good.
hanslysglimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2006, 05:04 PM   #8
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Email on Webhosting

The Webhosting pack also includes plain email. It is a very simple plain straightforward email server with Horde or Squirrelmail as webmail on it.
We do not want to use this naturally, we want to use Runbox Email Hosting with the webhosting.
The way to do that is to enter the Webhosting control panel for email and then set your MX records to mx.runbox.com.
For new users we can either help with doing that or write a good instruction for how to do it.
Old 22 Apr 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
mail2me
Master of the @

Re: Email on Webhosting

Quote:
Originally posted by hanslysglimt
The Webhosting pack also includes plain email. It is a very simple plain straightforward email server with Horde or Squirrelmail as webmail on it.
We do not want to use this naturally, we want to use Runbox Email Hosting with the webhosting.
The way to do that is to enter the Webhosting control panel for email and then set your MX records to mx.runbox.com.
For new users we can either help with doing that or write a good instruction for how to do it.
Assume that my domain is registered with goDaddy and my web is hosted at runbox. What would be the best or recommended way to go about changing the MX records to mx.runbox.com, i.e. through the GoDaddy Control Panel or Runbox Web Hosting Cpanel?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 10:18 PM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: Re: Email on Webhosting

Quote:
Originally posted by mail2me
Assume that my domain is registered with goDaddy and my web is hosted at runbox. What would be the best or recommended way to go about changing the MX records to mx.runbox.com, i.e. through the GoDaddy Control Panel or Runbox Web Hosting Cpanel?
When you setup Runbox to host your web you transfered your DNS records to the name servers used for the Runbox hosting. Your MX record is part of the DNS so you can't change it at GoDaddy anymore because they don't have it.

Mail -> Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry) -> Change an MX Entry

Select your domain and set the MX destination as:

mx.runbox.com

Regards,
Rich
Old 24 Apr 2006, 03:28 AM   #11
mail2me
Master of the @

Re: Re: Re: Email on Webhosting

Quote:
When you setup Runbox to host your web you transfered your DNS records to the name servers used for the Runbox hosting. Your MX record is part of the DNS so you can't change it at GoDaddy anymore because they don't have it.
That clarifies a lot of things for me. I didn't realize this because immediately after changing the DNS it was still available when I checked, but I see that it is not so anymore after it propagates. I was wondering why one of my PHP email contact forms were not working at one time. This explains it.

I bought my own domain and started my own hosting only recently, so I'm learning while testing.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 02:31 AM   #12
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We have now started building the Runbox Web Hosting wiki pages.
We will asemble material from several sources to build these wiki pages.
Please feel free to join in or suggest material for the wiki.

http://doc.runbox.com/twiki/bin/view...nfo/WebHosting
Old 30 Apr 2006, 03:52 PM   #13
erkdog

one of the reasons I started my webhosting business was because I got tired of people nickle and diming people to death over stuff like subdomains and SQL Databases.

It doesn't cost a provider --anything-- to let you have subdomains or databases, yet they seem justified in charging you for them.

*rolls eyes*
erkdog is offline   Reply With Quote