EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 15 May 2016, 07:29 AM   #1
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
So, for free email, except Gmail there is nothing good left?

Regarding this thread,
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=71695

It seems that except gmail, every other free email was proved to be worse.
Is there any real alternative to Gmail?
The only one I know is maybe ProtonMail, but except the privacy issue, PM doesn't have any advantage than Gmail.
How about your thoughts?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 May 2016, 07:32 AM   #2
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

And I hate Gmail.

What else have you tried?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 01:38 PM   #3
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Gmail's webclient is very much functional. After a number of email provider hopping...I have realised only Zoho and Zimbra based free email (which isn't any) have that kind of functionality - POP3/IMAP/Fetch Mail/Sent through SMTP/Levels etc.

Also Gmail is rarely down, much more reliable in delivery and spam filtering.

Even though I have my own domain with email hosting package from bigrock.in, I use Gmail as my primary catchall destination and ZOHO as my official id.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 07:21 PM   #4
LinuxArie

gmx.com is a good replacement for gmail
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Regarding this thread,
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=71695

It seems that except gmail, every other free email was proved to be worse.
Is there any real alternative to Gmail?
The only one I know is maybe ProtonMail, but except the privacy issue, PM doesn't have any advantage than Gmail.
How about your thoughts?
I agree TECHNICALY Gmail indeed is a very good (free) email service. HOWEVER....i do NOT agree with their privecy policy.

I am using Yandex,mail.ru and others for over a year and I am VERY satisfied with their services.(free accounts). And I doubt if they realy are worse then Gmail?? Afterall there are many features of Gmail most commun users do NOT use on a daily basis.

Outlook imho also is an outstanding email service.

Avoid at all costs free AOL "services" however.

my 2 eurocents.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 01:13 AM   #6
feral_eleven

Aol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Just wondering, what's wrong with AOL? It's definitely far behind of GMail, but at least it's a lot better than Yahoo (in terms of interface) and I found its spam filtering to be better than Outlook's.
feral_eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral_eleven View Post
Just wondering, what's wrong with AOL? It's definitely far behind of GMail, but at least it's a lot better than Yahoo (in terms of interface) and I found its spam filtering to be better than Outlook's.
Its the connotation that comes along with using AOL more so then what AOL actually has to offer.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 02:01 AM   #8
ezkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral_eleven View Post
I agree. Yahoo's webmail interface is so bad. AOL's webmail seems have gotten slightly better since Verizon bought it.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
I agree TECHNICALY Gmail indeed is a very good (free) email service. HOWEVER....i do NOT agree with their privecy policy.

I am using Yandex,mail.ru and others for over a year and I am VERY satisfied with their services.(free accounts). And I doubt if they realy are worse then Gmail?? Afterall there are many features of Gmail most commun users do NOT use on a daily basis.

Outlook imho also is an outstanding email service.

Totally agree. I've tried Yandex and Gmail and prefer Yandex any day. There aren't any useful features on Gmail that Yandex doesn't have. There's also the advantage of a longer inactivity period with Yandex. Yandex will only delete your account after 24 months of no logging in whereas it's 9 months with Gmail. This is great for a person with many email accounts who rarely logs into some of them.

IMO, Outlook is pretty good too but I still prefer Yandex.

To the OP: I've tried Tutanota and that's reliable for email, but the interface is a bit basic. There aren't any themes like on Gmail/Yandex but I guess that's not that important, as long as the emails get through.

And yes, avoid AOL: I know a lot of people who aren't receiving incoming emails in their AOL account. The problem is so bad that lots of people are simply ditching it and starting email accounts with different providers.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 11:51 PM   #10
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
There aren't any useful features on Gmail that Yandex doesn't have.
Add other accounts for POP3 fetch with custom filter (Yandex is nowhere near the flexibility of what Gmail offers on that screen) and option to add as sending account with smtp feature.

Nope...only ZOHO and Fastmail can so far.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 06:25 AM   #11
feral_eleven

How about Autistici/Inventati?
feral_eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 04:35 AM   #12
unlocktheinbox

There's not many choices for FREE email with IMAP access.

A lot of free mail places, make you pay for an upgrade, to get imap connnectivity.

Most common free ones. hotmail, aol, yahoo, gmail, zoho - then it gets hard to find a free one.

I know there are a few free ones in other countries, but the issue with those is that their spam filters might not recognize the language you speak and start marking everything as spam.
unlocktheinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 07:45 AM   #13
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlocktheinbox View Post
There's not many choices for FREE email with IMAP access.

A lot of free mail places, make you pay for an upgrade, to get imap connnectivity.

Most common free ones. hotmail, aol, yahoo, gmail, zoho - then it gets hard to find a free one.

I know there are a few free ones in other countries, but the issue with those is that their spam filters might not recognize the language you speak and start marking everything as spam.
Two other providers here are not bad,
  • mail.aliyun.com (my domain mail.cloud-china.org powered by it)
  • mail.kmail.com (my domain mail.dnsbed.com powered by it)

both have english interface.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:54 PM   #14
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Mail.ru Yandex....Qip.ru rambler.ru..all Russian (free) email services with IMAP access. The first two are outstanding imho and are NO less then Gmail/Outlook and the likes.

QQ.com from China also does a great job....they do have an English interface in their webmail:-)

just stay away from AOL,GMX or web.de...horrible service.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 04:32 AM   #15
unlocktheinbox

Thanks Dutchie, I was able to sign up to both of those locations to test out.

Jeffpan, I'm having trouble trying to create an account on the two you listed, google translation services does a poor job on the sign up process.
unlocktheinbox is offline   Reply With Quote