EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 4 Apr 2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Runbox File Storage Needs Improvement

Good day.

Had never used Runbox to store files until yesterday. Regrettably, my attempt at using it left a bad taste in my mouth.

You can upload files either while logged-in to Runbox or by using a FTP connection.

While logged-in you are limited to uploading ten files at a time and cannot upload directories.

A Runbox FTP connection has one fundamental failing, it isn't secure. Your name, password and data are transmitted in the open on the Internet.

Against my better judgment, I attempted to upload about 600 MiB consisting of directories containing small files via FTP. It failed miserably. Apparently, Runbox's FTP server is not able to handle a consistent connection of multiple directories and many small files.

In contrast, Fastmail provides a secured webdav connection that, in my experience, has worked without incident.

Come on Runbox, this is the 21st century, dump FTP and set up a proper secure webdav server.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Apr 2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Jacinto,

I completely agree that Runbox needs a better file storage service and since we're now working on CalDAV and CardDAV, WebDAV and a better web interface is a logical next step after that.

Meanwhile we're setting up TLS support on our FTP service -- AFAIK we now just need some firewall modifications to handle passive encrypted FTP connections correctly (FTP is a bit particular in this regard).

Regarding the size/number of files, please provide a more detailed error message (here or with Runbox Support) and we can take a closer look at that.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:22 PM   #3
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Hi Jacinto,

I completely agree that Runbox needs a better file storage service and since we're now working on CalDAV and CardDAV, WebDAV and a better web interface is a logical next step after that.
Hi, Geir.

That's good to hear.

If you do implement WebDAV, subscribers can mount their storage spaces locally and may not need to access a web interface. Although, I suppose, that some subscribers wouldn't know how to mount it and would be better served by a rock-solid web interface.

Quote:
Meanwhile we're setting up TLS support on our FTP service -- AFAIK we now just need some firewall modifications to handle passive encrypted FTP connections correctly (FTP is a bit particular in this regard).
Good luck with encrypted FTP. When I had a euMX account, I was never able to finish a TLS FTP session, it would always fail after a while.

Hopefully, you'll do a better job than euMX did.

Quote:
Regarding the size/number of files, please provide a more detailed error message (here or with Runbox Support) and we can take a closer look at that.

- Geir
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll wait until you set-up the new file servers and report should I encounter any problems.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote