EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Apr 2014, 01:17 AM   #16
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
Try using FileZilla. I find better success uploading with FileZilla.

Why should I download that!? It installs all sorts of crap on the computer, like Websteroids and OptimizerPro. Why doesn't Fastmail file upload work?

PS I should have started a new thread for this.

Last edited by werewolf : 7 Apr 2014 at 01:34 AM.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2014, 01:39 AM   #17
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Maybe this is why:

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/files.h...25&u=fc8c4118&

"Using the web interface, the maximum file size you can upload is 50M. If you use DAV or FTP, you can upload files as large as your file storage quota."

Only 50M? DAV or FTP? I don't even know what that is. Why is so much on Fastmail a hassle - like it won't let me right click on emails to cut or copy, like spellcheck requires a few steps, etc?
Old 7 Apr 2014, 01:44 AM   #18
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
DAV or FTP? I don't even know what that is.
If you don't use them, you don't know what they are. If you think these may solve your problem, find out.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2014, 10:02 AM   #19
Shelded

@werewolf Hint: read at the link you provided if you want to know what DAV and FTP are. You were sooooo close.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2014, 01:42 PM   #20
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
@werewolf Hint: read at the link you provided if you want to know what DAV and FTP are. You were sooooo close.

You guys are being pretty cryptic.

OK, here:

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...S-CD=283364925

And then here :

https://dav.messagingengine.com/

Now what? I still don't see how to upload my file.

Why do so many things on Fastmail seem to be so difficult?
Old 7 Apr 2014, 01:57 PM   #21
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
You guys are being pretty cryptic.

OK, here:

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...S-CD=283364925

And then here :

https://dav.messagingengine.com/

Now what? I still don't see how to upload my file.

Why do so many things on Fastmail seem to be so difficult?
If you are using Windows, map a networks drive to: https:\\myfiles.messagingengine.com
Use your FM user name including "@fastmail.fm" and your password.
This will map a drive which you can use as a regular folder/drive
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2014, 02:01 PM   #22
Shelded

And if that does not work well, use Netdrive.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2014, 01:35 AM   #23
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Ah, forgedaboudit. I uploaded my file to (free) Dropbox and (free) Photobucket. I can understand those things. It says pick file and upload. Duh. It works.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 01:30 PM   #24
bwat47

Quote:
Why should I download that!? It installs all sorts of crap on the computer, like Websteroids and OptimizerPro. Why doesn't Fastmail file upload work?

PS I should have started a new thread for this.
There are alternative ftp apps that don't have that sourceforge crapware

I like this one: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
bwat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2014, 02:05 AM   #25
werewolf
Essential Contributor

I don't know what I need any of that for, bwat47. All I wanted to do was upload one little ol' 76 MB file so I could show it to someone else, and Fastmail Files turned out to be useless, with their maximum of 50 MB upload rule, assuming that's the reason that I wasn't able to upload it (no error msg., no nothing). It was easy enough to do with a free program. That first program the guy recommended, FileZilla, is a nasty one. Very nasty crapware comes with it. What's "sourceforge"?
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:22 PM   #26
alapzaj

Quote:
Ah, forgedaboudit. I uploaded my file to (free) Dropbox and (free) Photobucket. I can understand those things. It says pick file and upload. Duh. It works.
Bro, please, calm down. If you upload via ftp, you use an ftp client. If you upload via dav, you use a dav client - so simple. And you don't even have to download anything, the dav client is already built into Windows, MacOS and Ubuntu (and maybe other linux distributions).
alapzaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:31 PM   #27
alapzaj

And on topic: damn, FM storage limits ARE absurd. A few weeks ago, Openmailbox.org - an e-mail company - started cloud.openmailbox.org with 1Gb storage. That site operates sub 3000€ / year (check their homepage, that's what I call transparency) and with this budget, they can provide a 1Gb owncloud account for their ~21k users.

Really, it's not about 50gigs or so, but giving 100Mb file storage space with 10MB hourly quota for the $10/year subscription IS absurd.
alapzaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:38 PM   #28
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
That first program the guy recommended, FileZilla, is a nasty one. Very nasty crapware comes with it.
I've used Filezilla over many years, have no problem with it, and would recommend it to anyone.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2014, 01:05 AM   #29
werewolf
Essential Contributor

I must have gone to the wrong download site, Fred. I started dowloading, and I thought I unchecked their sneaky little boxes, and then I woke up and aborted the download, but I still got those nasties on my computer,

$40 a year, Alapzaj! And I don't have a clue what those ftp's and dav's are for. Whenever I've wanted to upload something I always pick it out and click upload and that's it. Duh.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 01:31 AM   #30
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
$40 a year, Alapzaj! And I don't have a clue what those ftp's and dav's are for.
$40 buys you a stellar e-mail service for a year, with plenty of e-mail storage space, fast IMAP servers, and a couple of goodies on the side (an XMPP server, file storage, and basic virtual host-based websites). That's a steal if you ask me.

Sure, the file storage may not be fit for heavier users. Mix and match. In that case use Fastmail for e-mail and Bittorrent Sync/Dropbox/Google Drive/... for file storage and synchronisation.

In the meanwhile, I think a lot of Fastmail users are happy with the storage space provided to host a few files now and then.

(Tip: if you are on a Mac, Expandrive is really nice for mounting WebDAV as a local disk.)
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote