EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Nov 2012, 06:16 AM   #46
Shelded

I think there should be room for a good desktop mail cilent.They're generally more powerful than webmail. But they are harder to support so ISPs don't want to touch them.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:30 AM   #47
George_B
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
I saw that - except you're getting 15 months for the price of 12.

But as I said earlier, I have spent some time exploring the new MS free mail service. I has a very simple and sharp interface - I like the minimalism. Now I am retired I think it will do all my wife and I need. As now I would run Gmail as a backup using the mail redirection switch at my domain hosted by 123-reg.co.uk

My Fastmail subs run till February, so there is no rush.
I've seen many people liking the Outlook.com minimalist design. We have a member that likes it too I believe and he came up with the following look for our service. What do you think ? Does it seem more minimalist ?

http://i47.tinypic.com/34ebyub.png
http://i48.tinypic.com/2r23a7a.png
http://i47.tinypic.com/2l9ing0.png
http://i49.tinypic.com/6onacn.png
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:39 AM   #48
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It's all of the screen real estate taken up with the Group Office banner that I don't really care for. Because of that, the minimalist screen shots are appealing; however, I would probably like the current UI as well without the big banner at the top. That's my first impression.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:52 AM   #49
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Looks ok....do they have sieve script ?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:01 AM   #50
ServiceTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
From the signup screen, it looks like something a dozen years old. What does it do better that you're leaving Fastmail for?
It doesn't lock you out of your email for weeks of no support. That is the reason for the people I see leaving.
ServiceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:06 AM   #51
ServiceTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
I think there should be room for a good desktop mail cilent.They're generally more powerful than webmail. But they are harder to support so ISPs don't want to touch them.
The trend is toward people wanting the same interface to get their email on their PC, the office PC, a Internet cafe, their cell phone, and their mom's tablet.

Although younger people don't want to email at all, who needs it? ("If it can't be texted, tweeted, or posted, then it is not worth saying.")
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:19 AM   #52
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

[quote=ServiceTech;548912]The trend is toward people wanting the same interface to get their email on their PC, the office PC, a Internet cafe, their cell phone, and their mom's tablet.

Yes, but unfortunately we purchased a classic interface with an old customised log in screen.....and we are no longer getting what we paid for.

Why change something that was working really well to a Nerd type email system.

I really wish I could get my 2 x 5 year subscriptions back....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 12:52 PM   #53
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
I've seen many people liking the Outlook.com minimalist design. We have a member that likes it too I believe and he came up with the following look for our service. What do you think ? Does it seem more minimalist ?
Very nice, you're tempting me.

Is that minimalistic design available as a dynamic demo, then we could all have a play?

The biggest issue for me is getting a clutter free screen and a confortable font to read on a small laptop - or one of the latest Chromebooks. Currently Fastmail-Ajax and Gmail are pretty awful.

Polarismail would have more features than Outlook.com (Wish they hadn't called it that - you have to add the .com to avoid confusion with that miserable client they flog.)

Yes, Polarismail would have more features than Outlook.com, but now I'm retired my needs are simpler. Could boil down to whether I think I need to pay to keep my data away from the big boys who can and will do as they please.

But £16 a year is not a fortune.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 02:33 PM   #54
ServiceTech

[quote=Terry;548913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceTech View Post
I really wish I could get my 2 x 5 year subscriptions back.
Another thread indicated that they are offering refunds, you have to go through support so expect a long wait.

Also, someone thought the reason for the change was to go to an off-the-shelf system to reduce costs.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:26 PM   #55
ewal
Master of the @

Can anyone point me to a side-by-side comparison between Fastmail and Polarismail?

I see that Polarismail are currently giving a 90 day trial for Fastmail users and where they (if I got that right) will migrate all the Fastmail data over. It seems churlish of me not to try it out, particularly in view of the various positive reports I'm seeing.

What are Polarismail's redundancy/contingency plans? Do they have backup servers outside their location? How timely are they in fixing problems?

Anyone know what the actual experience is of Polarismail's privacy actions are like? Do they, for example, embed user's machine IP address into outgoing emails?

I see that Polarismail is located in Canada. Is the Canadian government actually respectful of privacy? Or are they going down the UK route of mandating all providers to keep detailed records of all emails, URLs and so forth?

Essentially can Polarismail be trusted?

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 11:52 PM   #56
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

I don't know the answer to most of your questions. I'd be interested, though, but in an academic sort of way as I am not hung up particularly on privacy issues.

PolarisMail's servers are located in Montreal (Canada), and they appear to be an entirely Canadian operation. I doubt that they would be able, under Canadian law, to routinely respond positively to a subpoena from another country (I'm of course thinking the US), though if there were severe criminal aspects I'm sure something could be made to work via intergovernmental cooperation. You might search out their terms of service.

When sending from a desktop client, PolarisMail puts the following in the internal headers:

Received: from unknown (HELO Lanexps) (bGFuZUBwbS5sYmlzaG9wLm5ldEAxNDIuMTY3LjE3LjE4Mg==) (POLARISLOCAL) by smtp2.emailarray.com with (AES128-SHA encrypted) SMTP; 19 Nov 2012 15:34:52 -0000
Message-ID: <3415085C6DCB430AAC7F53E16BA7800D@Lanexps>

"Lanexps" is the name of my laptop, so I guess some information is revealed. The long string in parenthesis might well be something PolarisMail can decode to reveal my IP address, perhaps in cases of undelivered mail issues, or abuse (e.g., spammers). You could ask George.

From the Enhanced webmail (Group-Office), the same header looks like:

Received: from unknown (HELO subxx--mydomain--tld.emailarray.com) (bGFuZUBwbS5sYmlzaG9wLm5ldEAxOTIuMTY4LjEuMTQ=) (POLARISLOCAL) by smtp1.emailarray.com with SMTP; 19 Nov 2012 15:47:45 -0000
Message-ID: <1353340065.50aa54a15f26a@subxx--mydomain--tld.emailarray.com>

So in this case, my (sub-)domain I use at PolarisMail is revealed.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:26 AM   #57
ewal
Master of the @

Many thanks Lane, that is very useful.

My use of emails simply extends to family and friends (parties, social meetings etc) so I'm not hung up on privacy issues as such and I don't have anything to hide. However I do value my privacy quite strongly, particularly in the face of of various governments trying to data mine me.

Let's see if George comes back here, I'm particualrly interested in the back end of his operation, the robustness and so forth. Maybe I will try and find the time to do a full trial run. Time is such a scare resource these days.

Thanks again
Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 01:08 AM   #58
ServiceTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post
Many thanks Lane, that is very useful.

My use of emails simply extends to family and friends (parties, social meetings etc) so I'm not hung up on privacy issues as such and I don't have anything to hide. However I do value my privacy quite strongly, particularly in the face of of various governments trying to data mine me.

Let's see if George comes back here, I'm particualrly interested in the back end of his operation, the robustness and so forth. Maybe I will try and find the time to do a full trial run. Time is such a scare resource these days.

Thanks again
Ed
For email, privacy is of top importance even if you are not the (former) head of the CIA. Ever been to the Black Hat conference? It is deeply scary the tools criminals are getting. If you have any money, daughters, etc., then you have much to hide from certain types.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 08:36 PM   #59
PON
Essential Contributor

Interesting that you imply that daughters are property like money. Do they know?
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 09:05 PM   #60
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
Interesting that you imply that daughters are property like money. Do they know?
Didn't you know? Men marry: women are given in marriage.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote