EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Nov 2012, 11:51 PM   #16
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The new UI looks almost identical to to Outlook.com (which is the the replacement for Hotmail.com) but is much more feature full (than the new UI) so I am wondering why anyone would buy it.
Outlook.com has a beautiful clean look - new Fastmail is just a fussy mess.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2012, 12:03 AM   #17
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by drleper View Post
I think the current trend for big IT corporations is to build walled gardens, and while Google is the most open of them, I feel they aren't serious enough about supporting all browsers (e.g. they would prefer you to use Chrome).
The day Google starts forcing people to use Chrome to access GMail is the day I (and probably a substantial part of the userbase) dump GMail. However, it probably won't happen, since abusing HTML features to try to force visitors to use your preferred browser, rather than theirs, is officially one of the worst design errors possible (so says the W3C — I wish I could find again the page where they say that). That's probably why Microsoft no longer insist that people access their site using Internet Execrable instead of a proper browser.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2012, 06:15 AM   #18
drleper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@fm View Post
The day Google starts forcing people to use Chrome to access GMail is the day I (and probably a substantial part of the userbase) dump GMail. However, it probably won't happen, since abusing HTML features to try to force visitors to use your preferred browser, rather than theirs, is officially one of the worst design errors possible (so says the W3C — I wish I could find again the page where they say that). That's probably why Microsoft no longer insist that people access their site using Internet Execrable instead of a proper browser.
Yeah, I can't see Google ever forcing anyone to use Chrome, but Firefox on Mac has been neglected for quite some time, and (last time I checked) Opera isn't supported properly on any platform.
drleper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 03:01 PM   #19
ServiceTech

I bet all of the people who have not been able to access their email at all for 17 days now would would be thrilled to see the new interface. (Support is a little behind on password resets...)
ServiceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceTech View Post
I bet all of the people who have not been able to access their email at all for 17 days now would would be thrilled to see the new interface.
I must be one of the lucky ones - no login problems once I got my favourites buttons changed.

Mind you, in 17 days I might have learned to love the Gmail interface where all my mails are mirrored.

What an absolutely appalling thought!

My first comment on seeing the new interface was "If this is it, and I have to learn new tricks, I might as well use Gmail."
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 05:50 AM   #21
Shelded

My posts had taken over the topic of the thread and I don't want to give anyone the idea I'm abusing my privilege to allow people to be happy with the new interface. I moved the newer topic to its own thread. http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=65812
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote