EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Nov 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Shelded

Thumbs up Too much password typing in new Fastmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Also some of us had a simple log in screen but they disabled that so it will no longer work.
For all my family I had set up a link in their quick launch which logged them in. Sure, it was insecure because the shortcut stored the pword. But we secure the desktop with a pword and used the HTTPS link. Now, all I have is utterly confused family because the same old link takes them to a different login screen, where there is no "classic" checkbox to mark (so they get the new, horrific interface each time), and the "remember me" does not work, so the login requires password each time. They are really really UPSET.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Nov 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
montmorencyfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
For all my family I had set up a link in their quick launch which logged them in. Sure, it was insecure because the shortcut stored the pword. But we secure the desktop with a pword and used the HTTPS link. Now, all I have is utterly confused family because the same old link takes them to a different login screen, where there is no "classic" checkbox to mark (so they get the new, horrific interface each time), and the "remember me" does not work, so the login requires password each time. They are really really UPSET.

Not really a Fastmail point, but my beloved wife is a fond believer in stored passwords, and it (occasionally) causes her all sorts of problems when she actually needs to remember her password (or have it written down) and she can neither remember it, nor has it written down.
montmorencyfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorencyfm View Post
. . . stored passwords, and it (occasionally) causes her all sorts of problems when she actually needs to remember her password (or have it written down) and she can neither remember it, nor has it written down.
For that reason years ago I stopped putting important phone numbers in the phone memory.
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Shelded

I can assure you that having to type it multiple times each day will ensure my relatives can't forget it. But that's not a problem we were trying to solve, not here anyway.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
drleper

Quote:
Hmm, get them to login at http://fastmail.fm/ with "Use classic interface" and "Keep me logged in" selected. Then once they're in their email, they can just bookmark that page (or drag it to quick launch, or whatever). That automatically logs you in, even after a browser close (unless they're clearing cookies).

Also you could get them running on Thunderbird (or some other client) using IMAP, which would probably be easier for them.
drleper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Shelded

Thanks for the link idea, but it's just not enough. It's the best I'll get, I suppose. The link doesn't log someone in, it comes to a screen to select an account to use (even if only one account is present). Two clicks at best and if the login has timed out or they hit logout they still have to do the pword. The point is that we used to have a one-click authoritative login. That has been stolen from us.

Thunderbird! That's no way to support computer users. Webmail is the answer to support issues. ISPs seem to know this, having moved from Outlook Express years ago to webmail. There's no way I'm giving them Thunderbird or any such thing although I use a mail client.

I am feeling that this dialogue is a bit off the topic of the thread so although I'm replying I don't really want to wear out those who like the new interface. Get back to your kudos, guys.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 05:49 PM   #7
drleper

Quote:
Thanks for the link idea, but it's just not enough. It's the best I'll get, I suppose. The link doesn't log someone in, it comes to a screen to select an account to use (even if only one account is present). Two clicks at best and if the login has timed out or they hit logout they still have to do the pword. The point is that we used to have a one-click authoritative login. That has been stolen from us.

Thunderbird! That's no way to support computer users. Webmail is the answer to support issues. ISPs seem to know this, having moved from Outlook Express years ago to webmail. There's no way I'm giving them Thunderbird or any such thing although I use a mail client.

I am feeling that this dialogue is a bit off the topic of the thread so although I'm replying I don't really want to wear out those who like the new interface. Get back to your kudos, guys.
Don't bookmark fastmail.fm, bookmark the actual page inbox page (once you've already logged in). That bookmark will take you to the classic inbox directly (instead of that account select page). I had a look at the cookies, the login won't expire for 5 years.

Not sure why you think a dedicated email client isn't a possibility, but good with it anyway!
drleper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Shelded

An expired cookie is different from an expired session. No, the link you suggest doesn't help enough, it does not send the password as the old did. If someone has clicked logoff they still need the password. Besides, this suggestion is no better than the less ambiguous https://classic.fastmail.fm we were told to use.

I think supporting dozens of people using mail clients is a bad idea because I have done it. There are way too many local problems they cause. Webmail solves all local problems not traceable to local browser problems, which will usually be well-documented. Supporting the browser with a huge body of public data suddently stopped all my support problems. Thunderbird was worse to support than Outlook Express was because the setup was harder. I gave the user one link to put on their desktop, and that was all the support they ever needed other than the occasional forgotten password.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Shelded

Is this beta session information also what applies to the new interface?

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2012/10/05/n...a-fastmail-fm/

Basically, 2 hours and it expires. The feature to stay logged in is broken. That's what my quick review has found.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 03:48 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The long term login works fine for me on multiple computers (Vista, Windows 7, and Safari iOS on iPad). Cookies are stored which allow the following operation (as long as you use the Keep me logged in checkbox when you initially enter your login credentials and never use the Log out button) on the new interface:
  • If you leave the browser tab/window active, the session remains open. You can come back the next day and see your new messages immediately.
  • If you close the browser tab/window (without using the Log out button), then when you later go to www.fastmail.fm you will see a choice of the existing Fastmail sessions which are still active. For instance, you might have several Fastmail accounts, and you need some way to get to those open sessions (or use the Log on to other account link to supply credentials and log into a different account). The session information is stored using cookies on that PC, so obviously you can only do this on the same device for security reasons.
  • If you let your browser store your login credentials, you can log in without remembering your login details by allowing the browser to supply them. This works well in Firefox if you accidentally used the log out button.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Shelded

Bill you offer several ideas, it seems amazing none of those would suffice for my parents but it is possible.

Leaving the window open may or may not be possible. They barely understand what the browser is and how it's not email. There are two of them using the same computer with different accounts.

Closing without using Logout won't work for them. It may be that they have one of the original login links which clears the cookie or whatnot. But it will take a site visit for me to remove the link from such affected users, a couple dozen computers. I guess you're saying the session will live for 30 days between uses.

We never save passwords in the browser, but would make an exception for this if it could be applied and then told not to save other passwords. IOW, most passwords we do not want saved in the browser.

In short, this was so much simpler when it did the login in the way the user understood it best. I still want to pass the password over HTTPS from a link.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Seriously how hard would it be for them to make a simple log in screen like this for using in the classic U.I.

https://beta.fastmail.fm/mail/?domain=fastmail.net
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 07:46 AM   #13
thymara

With one exception, my master password, I have no clue what my passwords are. There are any number of possibilities, free or paid, that make logins using a password manager a snap. On a Mac using Quicksilver plus 1 Password you don't even need to know where the FM login is, the exception being the first time you set it up.
What could be simpler?

Last edited by thymara : 19 Nov 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: readability
thymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes I have used a few others, but I need to be able to log in to Fastmail web application as I feel this is perhaps a little bit more secure.

I had had my old Fastmail log in for 8 years and for me that was something special, now to suddenly have it taken away was annoying.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:27 AM   #15
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymara View Post
On a Mac using Quicksilver plus 1 Password you don't even need to know where the FM login is, the exception being the first time you set it up.
That's how I do it too (sans Quicksilver). Very convenient, especially when you have dozens of passwords (one for each site naturally), each of which is far too long and bizarre to remember.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote