EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2002, 09:58 PM   #1
Stiletto

Talking Various comments...

I haven't tried this, so I'm wondering if it will work.

I get spam to my Hotmail account that even their spam filter won't get. Fastmail has this lovely "bounce" feature. I have my FM account set to download from Hotmail. You can see where I'm going with this.

1.) Can Fastmail FAKE a bounce as if it came from Hotmail? How would you set this up? (It'd be great if Hotmail had a "bounce" feature.)

2.) Would the spam people be smart enough to see that it didn't truly come from Hotmail?

3.) An "auto-bounce" would be pretty cool - get an email from a certain address, send a bounce message and delete the email automagically...

I'm impatiently waiting for Fastmail's own SPAM beater.

Second, I'm a little ticked. I've paid good money for a premium account, knowing that it gives me POP3 and IMAP - and you're going to take away POP3? That was a big selling point for me...

Stiletto
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:00 PM   #2
LazyGun

Stiletto - pay attention!
YAHOO, NOT FASTMAIL, ARE TAKING AWAY POP3

People are emaking comments on this.
Fastmail can't force POP access to Yahoo if Yahoo don't allow it.
LazyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:25 PM   #3
Stiletto

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=2896

Perhaps I didn't understand what Jeremy meant by this. I read it as "we're gonna block all POP3 access now".

Stiletto
Old 21 Mar 2002, 10:33 PM   #4
nap

Some email services don't allow POPing from their servers for the free service, eg. uReach, anytimenow.com but they allow you poping from other servers into theirs.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 12:18 AM   #5
gpdoyon

Quote:
Originally posted by LazyGun
Fastmail can't force POP access to Yahoo if Yahoo don't allow it.
Exactly! It is NOT FastMail's fault.

- Gerry
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 03:55 AM   #6
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stiletto
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...?threadid=2896

Perhaps I didn't understand what Jeremy meant by this. I read it as "we're gonna block all POP3 access now".
Since Feb 18 we've listed on our About page and pricing page that POP access is only available to full accounts and enhanced accounts. However we haven't actually enforced this restriction as yet. The server upgrade will allow us to enforce this restriction.

You'll still be able to use IMAP if you have a guest or member account. IMAP provides a superset of POP's features.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 04:06 AM   #7
ikxu

IMAP vs POP

I have been a dye hard POP user. It took me awhile to understand the benefits of IMAP.
Now I prefer IMAP to POP.
Stiletto I hope you give IMAP a try and see what you think.
ikxu
ikxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2002, 10:38 PM   #8
Stiletto

> Since Feb 18 we've listed on our About page and pricing page
> that POP access is only available to full accounts and enhanced
> accounts. However we haven't actually enforced this restriction
> as yet. The server upgrade will allow us to enforce this
> restriction.

Okay, I hadn't realized this was the case, and I was a little confused about the phrase "closing off access". I have a premium account and a free account, so I don't have to worry about my premium account then.

Now, the free one, I may eventually upgrade, but at the moment I only use web access for it, so I don't have to worry for now.

> I have been a dye hard POP user. It took me awhile to
> understand the benefits of IMAP.
> Now I prefer IMAP to POP.
> Stiletto I hope you give IMAP a try and see what you think.

Well, at the moment my Internet arrangement involves me downloading all my messages once a month or every other month, then sneaker-netting the data (via Iomega Zip disk) to my other computer. (Don't ask why, it's complicated) POP3 seemed to be the best way to do this. I've always had trouble downloading via IMAP and storing messages when I used MailAndNews (it always wanted to connect to the server when I tried reading messages from my non-Internet-connected PC - maybe my setup was wrong?), so I used POP3.

But that's all a side topic. What about my main questions, folks? Jeremy??

Stiletto
Old 23 Mar 2002, 05:16 AM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Various comments...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stiletto
1.) Can Fastmail FAKE a bounce as if it came from Hotmail? How would you set this up? (It'd be great if Hotmail had a "bounce" feature.)
When we upgrade our bounce engine we hope to be able to do this. It's too early to say at this stage how well it will work.
Quote:
2.) Would the spam people be smart enough to see that it didn't truly come from Hotmail?
No. The anti-spam community has 3 "rules", and one extension:[list=1][*]Spammers lie[*]See rule #1[*]Spammers are stupid[*]Never underestimate spammers' ability to be compliant with rule #3[/list=1]
3.) An "auto-bounce" would be pretty cool - get an email from a certain address, send a bounce message and delete the email automagically...[/quote]If you set up a 'reject' rule on the Define Rules screen this is exactly what happens.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote