EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Oct 2016, 12:11 AM   #1
digp
Master of the @

Luxsci

Is down?

digp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Oct 2016, 07:25 AM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I didn't notice it for either of my accounts, but it looks like they had a short webmail outage. That's rare for this provider.
Luxsci status page
There is also planned maintenance tomorrow to install new main database server
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 07:47 AM   #3
digp
Master of the @

you;re still with them?

what do you use them for?

do you know if they encrypt email at rest?

thanks
Old 6 Oct 2016, 01:46 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Yes, I've been with them for several years. I use their services for a business (secure email) and for personal. Great company. Off hand I don't know the encryption at rest answer. They have very good help and FAQ and answer questions promptly.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Oct 2016, 09:07 AM   #5
kangas

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
Hi Folks. We have a blog that addresses the "What is encrypted at rest" question for LuxSci. I hope you find this useful:

https://luxsci.com/blog/ensuring-all...th-luxsci.html
kangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2016, 07:14 PM   #6
digp
Master of the @

So, basically, Luxsci do not encrypt at rest by default and to justify it there is a page of technical gobbledegook. Yet Fastmail on the other hand do encrypt email at rest.

Interesting.
Old 8 Oct 2016, 03:33 AM   #7
kangas

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
Hello,

Perhaps our blog page needs to be updated as it appears to be confusing. What it essentially says is that (for email):

1. We use full disk encryption for all data for all (shared and dedicated) enterprise-class customers and for dedicated business-class customers who request it.

2. We have options on top of full disk encryption for storing messages individually using encryption (i.e. PGP, S/MIME, and "stored encrypted in a database waiting to be picked up by a recipient"). The latter actually double-encrypts the data.

Regarding Fastmail, do you have a link for your reference to their email encryption? I would like to see what they are doing currently. In my search, I cam up with their page that describes how they provide security for email across many different aspects of their service:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/ourservice/security.html

I would expect to see some mention of at-rest encryption there ... but do not. Perhaps this is described elsewhere and this page is out dated? So -- digging further, I found the fastmail documentation related to their encryption:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/07...-installation/

It seems that they do exactly what we do -- full disk encryption using built-in support or using LUKS when built-in support is not available. This protects the data on disks from discovery when disks are destroyed/discarded or accessed from external systems. It does not protect email at rest from attackers who have broken into a running server (we discuss this in our blog article). This is why additional levels of encryption are often desired on top of disk encryption. This is also why disk encryption in a data center environment hat has solid processes for media disposal is of marginal utility compared to object-level encryption that protected that data from attackers that have broken into a running server.

Doing that well has tradeoffs and that is why there are many different flavors of email encryption out there. As you take more and more protections, you often lose things such as speed, searchability, sharability, etc. Ultimately, companies need to decide for themselves where they fall on the spectrum of need for security and need for usability and other features. In our experience, most companies want good security and security practices but not "the be-all end-all" so that they can take advantage of other productivity features that they would lose otherwise.

For this reason, LuxSci presents a variety of options to fit a variety of customer needs (and price sensitivity points).

This update was longer than expected -- sorry -- but I hope it helps.
kangas is offline   Reply With Quote