EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Jun 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
tpl

Setting Up Multiple Fastmail Inboxes on iPhone

Hello.

I have an iPhone 4S with my main Fastmail Inbox setup and it works perfectly. However, I have 3 other email addresses that redirect to other folders/inboxes inside Fastmail that I'd like to see on my iPhone and be monitored for incoming messages. I think I "know" how to do it properly on the iPhone, but when I try to add a new email account, the iPhone tells me that I already have IMAP "name@fastmail.fm" already configured.

I figured I could just could just add a new email service like I did for my main inbox, and select the Inbox.Second as the new inbox for it (where .Second is the folder that email to my second email address is redirected). But, it looks like I have to have a different username to setup different email accounts on my iPhone.

Anyone have any luck?

Thanks,
Tim
tpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jun 2012, 03:54 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl View Post
Hello.

I have an iPhone 4S with my main Fastmail Inbox setup and it works perfectly. However, I have 3 other email addresses that redirect to other folders/inboxes inside Fastmail that I'd like to see on my iPhone and be monitored for incoming messages. I think I "know" how to do it properly on the iPhone, but when I try to add a new email account, the iPhone tells me that I already have IMAP "name@fastmail.fm" already configured.

I figured I could just could just add a new email service like I did for my main inbox, and select the Inbox.Second as the new inbox for it (where .Second is the folder that email to my second email address is redirected). But, it looks like I have to have a different username to setup different email accounts on my iPhone.

Anyone have any luck?

Thanks,
Tim
I believe this could help: https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...and_ports.html

Quote:
Alternate usernames

You need to log in with your full FastMail.FM username, i.e username@your.domain. You must use the username you used to sign up your account, not any aliases or virtual aliases.

Because some software has difficulty with the @ symbol you can use any of these alternatives:

username@your.domain
username#your.domain
username/your.domain
username=your.domain
Hopefully, one of these alternative usernames will be accepted.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2012, 07:20 PM   #3
tpl

Fixed Part of the problem

Thanks for your reply. This actually solved part of the problem. Now, I need to be able to select a different inbox besides the default. I have inbox.Work for my work related email. Can't seem to find a way to select this. I can select the right sent box, but there is no option to select specific inboxes.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 11:20 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl View Post
Thanks for your reply. This actually solved part of the problem. Now, I need to be able to select a different inbox besides the default. I have inbox.Work for my work related email. Can't seem to find a way to select this. I can select the right sent box, but there is no option to select specific inboxes.
See the bottom of https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_..._and_smtp.html.
Quote:
Accessing other folders
You can access folders other than just Inbox via POP, by logging in with a special "username+foldername" login name. For example, if you have a folder called "Jokes", you can access this folder via POP by logging in using the special username "yourusername+Jokes@fastmail.fm". Note that folder names are case-sensitive.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 01:58 AM   #5
tpl

I'd rather use IMAP

Thanks for the advice using POP, but I really need to use IMAP.

And actually, my folders in Fastmail look like this:

Inbox
Sent Items
Drafts
Trash
Junk Mail
Work Inbox
Other Inbox
Archive
Archive.Work
Archive.Home
Archive.Misc

Is there anyway to use the "IMAP Path Prefix" setting on the iPhone to select a different inbox ("Work Inbox")?
Old 29 Oct 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
apl

Hi,

I believe the limitation is the iPhone mail client, it only supports notification from the top level inbox.

I have a complicated set of folders myself with rules to direct inbound email into the folders but only receive mail notification for the Inbox. I got around this by creating a rule for all email to send a summary to my iCloud account so I can see where to look in the folder structure on my iPhone.

An alternative solution is to file everything but the email for your work etc and manually move it from your Inbox when it arrives. That way you receive notification and move it to the correct folder when you act on it.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2012, 05:43 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by apl View Post
Hi,

I believe the limitation is the iPhone mail client, it only supports notification from the top level inbox.

I have a complicated set of folders myself with rules to direct inbound email into the folders but only receive mail notification for the Inbox. I got around this by creating a rule for all email to send a summary to my iCloud account so I can see where to look in the folder structure on my iPhone.

An alternative solution is to file everything but the email for your work etc and manually move it from your Inbox when it arrives. That way you receive notification and move it to the correct folder when you act on it.

Regards Alan
Have you considered sending everything to Inbox plus another folder. The idea is that the Inbox would be purely a "notifications" mechanism, with the ultimate destination of mail always elsewhere. Then, you just need to purge the Inbox periodically (no manual moving required). [Of course, a 21st Century email client would be preferable.]
Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
apl

Hi Tim,

You have got me thinking about this and experimenting with the script I was using to send notifications.

I have a rule that uses the address book groups to filter messages. Every message is checked against your address book on the way in and a header is set containing the group that it matches. So if you had an address book group called "Family and Friends" then anyone in that group would have the following header set:

Code:
X-Spam-Known-Sender: yes, "Family and Friends"
You can detect this with a rule and file the messages into a folder. You can do the same with the forwarding rules and send a notification back to your In Box which will generate a notification on the iPhone.

Here's how you create the File into folders rule:

Set the Message with popup to Advanced
Copy and paste the following into The text field:
Code:
header:contains"X-Spam-known-sender" "Family and Friends"
Select the folder that you want the messages to be filed in

Here's the notify script for the address book group

Set the Message with popup to Advanced
Copy and paste the following into The text field:
Code:
header:contains"X-Spam-known-sender" "Family and Friends"
Copy and paste the following into the Forward to field:
Code:
notify :method "mailto" :options ["your@emailaddress.com","Text","Only"] :message "- / From: $from$ Subject: $subject$ / Mail Alert: from $from$. Subject $subject$"
Set the Forward type popup to Custom (see help)

Using an address book group for filing or notification makes it easy to update, all you need to do is move addresses into or out of the group for the rule to take affect. You don't need the file into folders rule for the notification to work, I just thought I'd include it here for completeness.

You can change the content of the notification by modifying the Notify script parameters, fastmail have some info here:

https://www.fastmail.fm/docs/sieve/fm-sieve-notify.html

Hope it helps, Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote