EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 12 May 2016, 06:17 AM   #1
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Runbox needs beta testers for new spam system

If you want to be part of our testing a new spam system, then please open a support ticket with the title:

Testing new spam system for user: username

We will then change you over and it would be great if you could put feedback and headers of messages that are not correctly classified in the same ticket.

The new system is from Cloudmark and is hash-based. All scanning is done locally on our servers and no emails are sent to any external system.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 May 2016, 04:08 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

My impression is that the new system is much more aggressive than the old one: I'm getting numerous false positives.
In fairness, the wrongly marked messages are newsletters, which are notoriously difficult to correctly classify as spam/ham.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2017, 01:42 AM   #3
gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
The new system is from Cloudmark and is hash-based. All scanning is done locally on our servers and no emails are sent to any external system.
I just read this comment on your blog post:
https://blog.runbox.com/2017/02/new-...comment-175984

I think Josh raised a very important question there.

From your above statement, I understand that no data is sent to anyone outside Runbox.

However, some detailed description of how the spam filtering works and what the difference between "Train using reduced email details?" yes/no is would be much appreciated.

Many thanks and BR,
gecko
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2017, 02:03 AM   #4
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
My impression is that the new system is much more aggressive than the old one: I'm getting numerous false positives.
In fairness, the wrongly marked messages are newsletters, which are notoriously difficult to correctly classify as spam/ham.
Reporting them as misclassified will help as there are per user, per provider and global feedback on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
I just read this comment on your blog post:
https://blog.runbox.com/2017/02/new-...comment-175984

I think Josh raised a very important question there.

From your above statement, I understand that no data is sent to anyone outside Runbox.

However, some detailed description of how the spam filtering works and what the difference between "Train using reduced email details?" yes/no is would be much appreciated.

Many thanks and BR,
gecko
If you train using reduced email details, then the reporting will be less effective, but it will still have an effect.

The reduced details options means that the subject and body is not reported back to Cloudmark, just a hash of the email. They may find a match of this hash or they might may not. If they dont have a match, then it is difficult to adjust anything.

Cloudmark also attach a trust value to each user reporting spam and ham and if what you report is "correct", then your reporting will have a larger effect.

Kim
Old 8 Feb 2017, 02:16 AM   #5
gecko

Kim,

Thanks for the prompt answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
The reduced details options means that the subject and body is not reported back to Cloudmark, just a hash of the email.
Does this mean there is something being sent to Cloudmark or not?

If I set "Train using reduced email details?" to "yes", will parts of my email be sent to Cloudmark or not?

Thanks,
gecko
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2017, 02:48 AM   #6
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Does this mean there is something being sent to Cloudmark or not?

If I set "Train using reduced email details?" to "yes", will parts of my email be sent to Cloudmark or not?

Thanks,
gecko
No parts of your email will be sent to Cloudmark.

The only thing sent to them when using "reduced email details" is a unique identifier that we create (but Cloudmark does not have any information on who the reporter is) and a hash of the email so that they can match the email if they have seen it before.

I see the description can cause confusion.