EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Dec 2020, 05:56 AM   #1
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Fastmail not working with K9 Mail in new Android phone

Hello.

I've read here and there how the "new" FM App. password requirement doesn't work with all FM set-ups. Now, I'm experiencing it.

My "old" Android phone (Aristo 2 on T-Mobile) and the one before it worked very well with FM using the K9 Mail E-Mail App.

Bought a new phone last week (Aristo 5 on T-Mobile) and am, slowly, replicating the old phone.

Backed-up K9 Mail using its own back-up utility (copies all settings, except, passwords). After installing the same version of K9 Mail on the new phone that's installed in the old phone, imported settings from the the back-up file.

Generated new App. password on FM portal for the new phone. After entering it as the password on the new installation, tried to access my mail on the IMAP server -- no joy.

Took a gander at FM K9 Mail set up instructions here: https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/k9mail.html

My set-up is exactly the same as on FM's how to.

What an I missing?

Thank you and Happy Saturday.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Dec 2020, 07:20 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

A guess would be that your saved K-9 settings include something that isn't correct for the new Fastmail setup. Doublecheck the servers, ports, usernames, and app password. By the way, if you like K-9 you may want to check out FairEmail with a 4.7 star rating. It is probably the best and most up-to-date third party email app going. Though I still prefer to go with the FM app, which I think gives the best experience using all the FM services: email, contacts, calendar, notes, and files.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2020, 07:44 AM   #3
bertradio

Another vote for FairMail. It has a lot of privacy features as well as being able to set up an email to be sent at a time in the future, something missing in the FM app. You can also set up a combined inbox for various folders with the option to filter out emails that have been read.

Works like a charm with FM.
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:15 AM   #4
InquiringMind

I have been using FairEmail instead of the Fastmail App for several months now and I too think Fairemail is really an outstanding independent email app. Give it a try. It takes a little work to figure out how to use it and what the icons mean, but it is worth the effort.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
A guess would be that your saved K-9 settings include something that isn't correct for the new Fastmail setup. Doublecheck the servers, ports, usernames, and app password. By the way, if you like K-9 you may want to check out FairEmail with a 4.7 star rating. It is probably the best and most up-to-date third party email app going. Though I still prefer to go with the FM app, which I think gives the best experience using all the FM services: email, contacts, calendar, notes, and files.
Good day and thank you, TenFour.

I have triple-checked all FM settings on the new phone and obtained a new App. password, no joy.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and open a Ticket. From what I've read on this Forum, I'm not too hopeful that I'll receive anything but canned answers. We'll see.

By the way, I'm one of those rare birds who uses his three FM paid accounts solely for E-Mail. Tried a couple of web pages, but I can do better with DreamHost (PHP, SSL Certificates, etc.)

--
Jacinto
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Well, this is a fine how-do-you-do.

Apprehensive about being made to run the gauntlet by a FM C.S.R. simply for opening a Ticket, I copied the App. password from the text I had sent to the phone and pasted it to an Android text editor; made sure there were no non-alphanumeric characters; copied it from the text editor and entered it on the PW setting on K-9 Mail.

What do you know? Bob's your uncle -- it worked this time.

Added the other two FM accounts to K9 Mail using the same convoluted App. password procedure and they are all working.

Perhaps the new phone decided that it might be returned should K9 Mail continue not to work and thought best of it -- at least for now.

--
Jacinto
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:35 PM   #7
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Thank you, TenFour, bertradio and InquiringMind for steering me towards FairEmail.

Took a look at it on GitHub (don't do Google Play) and downloaded the APK file.

Looks very promising. Will install it on the new phone and play with it when I have time over the holidays.

By the way, apparently, unlike K-9 Mail, it is not completely free. However, like K-9 Mail, it is open source (at least most of it) and you can "roll your own" if you so desire.

Thanks again.

--
Jacinto
Old 21 Dec 2020, 12:04 AM   #8
bertradio

K9 does not appear to be under continued development. The last version on Google Play is from 2018. By contrast, I received several updates to FairMail just in the past week.

As for "free" or not, my feeling is that we need to support developers. If someone has spent a lot of time developing an app that I use all the time, the least I can do is send him/her several $ to support continued development. So I have no problem paying/donating for apps I use.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 01:18 AM   #9
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertradio View Post
K9 does not appear to be under continued development. The last version on Google Play is from 2018. By contrast, I received several updates to FairMail just in the past week.
As the old timers used to say, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Quote:
As for "free" or not, my feeling is that we need to support developers. If someone has spent a lot of time developing an app that I use all the time, the least I can do is send him/her several $ to support continued development. So I have no problem paying/donating for apps I use.
I, too, support open source developers, as long as Google Play isn't involved.

What I object to, is developers who cripple their software until they receive their ounce of flesh.

Unless I'm mistaken, FairEmail's developer accepts cash donations outside Google Play. I'm sure that if the free version of FairEmail isn't crippled and I start using it after playing with it, I would contribute something to the developer.

In the past, I have contributed to the late Mark Crispin for his Panda IMAP server (even though UW IMAP could be had for free). Also to the independent developer of VoIP.ms' Android App. (no donation was required). As well as many others.

By the way, how do you receive FairEMAil automatic updates outside Google Play.

Thank you.

--
Jacinto

Last edited by Jacinto : 21 Dec 2020 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 02:43 AM   #10
bertradio

I'm comfortable downloading from Google since the developer's site suggests that link.

You can donate directly to the developer at https://email.faircode.eu/donate/
Old 21 Dec 2020, 04:37 AM   #11
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
K9 does not appear to be under continued development. The last version on Google Play is from 2018.
It is under development, but updates aren't available through Google Play - they are on f-droid.org. It sounds like it's been though substantial restructuring and they are working towards a stable release.

https://k9mail.app/2020/06/01/Whats-Up-With-K-9-Mail

https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2020, 11:23 PM   #12
mf1941
Essential Contributor

I was installing K9 on a Lenovo Tablet the other day,

It warned me that K9 was not recommended for new version of android and may have issues.That may have something to do with yours?..
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2020, 11:49 PM   #13
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post

It warned me that K9 was not recommended for new version of android and may have issues.That may have something to do with yours?..
Hello, mf1941.

I saw the same warnings you did. However, once I got it working, I've had no issues.

Perhaps the warnings were added by an overzealous Google Developer to discourage use of any other Android MUA than the native one?

--
Jacinto
Old 22 Dec 2020, 01:28 PM   #14
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post

It warned me that K9 was not recommended for new version of android.
From: https://k9mail.app/documentation/acc...rSettings.html

Quote:
Gmail supports IMAP. Note that Google also prefers a more secure authentication protocol called XOAuth 2.0 which is currently not supported by K-9.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2020, 03:31 PM   #15
EricG
Essential Contributor

The reason K-9 doesn't have the latest version on Play Store is probably because of changing Google requirements. These include setting the target API to a recent version, which requires using new permissions and APIs but not using depreciated versions. Most likely it has to do with the background activity required for PUSH or similar.

You always get that warning from Play Store when the app's target API is less that your device's.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote