EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Aug 2002, 09:38 AM   #1
polo

IE Security Settings

Can someone tell me the safest "Internet" settings in IE 5.00? It's more complicated than Netscape, or Moz since you have more options than just Java, JS and Cookies.

Medium setting isn't THAT safe? You have to do a Custom setting from Medium to disable scripting etc? Should _anything_ related to ActiveX be disabled?

What about the Intranet (only for if on a LAN not home single PC?), Restricted and Trusted sites settings?
polo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2002, 08:40 AM   #2
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Medium is ok. But the most secure one is high. Intranet is not for home single PC. If you are really concerned about security, I suggest you to install a firewall...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2002, 10:25 AM   #3
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

I would definately recommend a firewall, also a virus scanner or (in my opinion even more useful) something like the software suite from moosoft.com which monitors your registry and other files which can be used to start programs. Best is to have all 3.

Note that most personal firewalls for windows aren't really that good - like I read the other day that black ice defender doesn't say a thing if you have a trojan installed and somebody tries to connect to it - zonealarm picked this up.

Anything on a net connection other than a modem really needs a firewall, for a modem it is recommended but not that acute.

A really good firewall is an old box connected inbetween you and the net connection - it doesn't need to have a hard disk drive, just a floppy drive and 2 networks cards is enough. Then you can choose one of the many linux floppy firewall projects, configure it (most come with good default settings) and are easy to configure) and then just use it ;-)
This also has the advantage that you can share the net connection with several PCs.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2002, 03:28 PM   #4
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Question Linux firewalls

Quote:
Originally posted by mklose
... Then you can choose one of the many linux floppy firewall projects ...
Can you recommend any? Is there a listing of the projects available?
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2002, 09:45 PM   #5
mklose
Cornerstone of the Community

I installed this at a customer site:

http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

But just searching for "Linux floppy firewall" in Google brings up at least 3.
mklose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

I have mine on Medium with some customised settings...

I have Active X basically locked out but if a legit control wants to load it asks and I usually say NO.. Active X can be quite dangerous!! (I do have active X controls loaded and active for Java and flash but nothing else (I say NO if they try to load (Signed ones (The unsafe ones are blocked.. I dont even see them (Ones that are not signed))))

I also have ACTIVE SCRIPTING disabled as sites are much faster w/o scripts.......

I have ALLOW PASTE OPERATIONS VIA SCRIPT disabled but that doesnt work anyway seeing I almost always have SCRIPTS DISABLED...

And I more setting I changed was USERDATA PERSISTENCE I changed to DISABLED..
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
I have mine on Medium with some customised settings...
This thread is very old, and the last previous post was made 22 years ago about this discontinued browser. The original poster hasn?t posted in EMD in over a year (in the Off Topic Lounge). The OP hasn’t posted concerning email related topics in 15 years. So I doubt they care anymore about this question from 2002.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote