EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 19 Nov 2016, 11:49 AM   #1
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Does bulk selection accidentally include new mail?

While I am not aware of having ever experienced this problem, I would like to find out under what conditions this problem (or a similar problem) may occur. To repeat, I am not trying to describe a problem that has actually happened.

Near the top of my mail interface on the Runbox web site, there is a check box. This check box, when clicked, selects all mail listed on the page. It is handy for deleting many messages without having to select each one individually.

Is there any possibility that using that check box will select messages that were not intended for selection?

My concern is that when I click "delete" after using that check box to bulk select messages, new mail will also get deleted before I even have a chance to notice it arrived.

Here is the scenario I am worried about, in this sort of a sequence that may occur within a few seconds:
  1. One clicks the check box to bulk select 25 messages.
  2. One new message arrives on the Runbox server without the user's knowledge.
  3. The user clicks "delete".
  4. A total of 26 messages get deleted.

Is this possible?

Last edited by emebrs : 19 Nov 2016 at 11:50 AM. Reason: punctuation
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Nov 2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi,

The scenario you describe is not possible. Only the checked messages would be deleted, as the check-all box can only check boxes that are visible on the page. The server will then process each message ID passed from the form on the page.

In other words, you do not need to worry.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

To: Geir

In order to completely avoid unintended deleted message(s), after clicking the "check-all" box, wouldn't you need to check the top or bottom of the selected message list to make sure that no new message(s) came in right before clicking it?

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 06:22 AM   #4
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Jacinto,

That's not how it works. The mail list does not update when new mail arrives unless you refresh the page. So as Geir said, only the checked messages would ever be deleted.

When we do move to an interface that automatically updates, if the same check box system is in place I would imagine that we would only check the boxes of the messages present when you actually click "check all" and if new messages arrive they would not be selected.

This is something we would be careful about, as otherwise it could have the unintended consequences you mention.

I hope that helps.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 07:11 AM   #5
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Thank you very much for the care you have taken in designing the system and in explaining it here. I will use the bulk select check box with even more confidence.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowdley View Post
Hi Jacinto,

. . .

When we do move to an interface that automatically updates, if the same check box system is in place I would imagine that we would only check the boxes of the messages present when you actually click "check all" and if new messages arrive they would not be selected.

This is something we would be careful about, as otherwise it could have the unintended consequences you mention.

I hope that helps.
It does, thank you, dbowdley.

Presumably, if and when you do so, there will be ample notification of the new (possibly perilous) capability.

Thank you.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote