EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Apr 2017, 06:46 PM   #61
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I go back 13 or 14 years with F/m and I am finding it very hard to find a suitable replacement, usually if you find something with a nice user interface then the rest is crappy then you have achieve nothing.

Like you I did not receive some mail but it may have been my sieve script, but I feel it was domain related also I use terry and often the email gets filed as junk....another problem is fastmail are listed as being a free email provider and they are finding it hard to get off that list so perhaps that is why the free accounts are going.

I found Yahoo was ok but have not used them for a year or more.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 05:11 AM   #62
chickadee

Information about Zoho:

Zoho Corporation, with nearly 3,500 employees, is headquartered in California and has development offices in Asia, primarily in India, Singapore, and Beijing. There are more than 25 million users of its "many" software products. One such product, Zoho Mail, was introduced in October 2008.

I urge you to read more about Zoho by clicking the following two links:

https://www.zoho.com/aboutus.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoho_Corporation

In short, Zoho is definitely not a fly-by-night firm.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 06:35 AM   #63
TenFour
Master of the @

The Zoho story is appealing, but how reliable is their email? Maybe they have improved things, but there were issues in the fairly recent past. I tried them briefly and everything seemed to work well, but I was uncertain about reliability in the long run (deliverability, service outages, etc.).
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 07:08 AM   #64
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

So what about Bullet Mail?

Even Yahoo requires that I enter a mobile phone number. I do not understand why these HUGE email companies have not received the memo that not every person on earth has a freaking cell phone...
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:01 AM   #65
chickadee

I suggest, noclue, that you read several reviews of Zoho Mail. Here's a good one:

https://reviews.financesonline.com/p/zoho-mail/

To see other reviews, google "zoho mail reviews" (without the quotes).

For receiving your newsletters, a free Zoho Mail account should be fine. But there's only one way to know for sure: Get an account, try it out, and see if your newsletters arrive in your Zoho Mail Inbox.
Old 2 May 2017, 09:27 AM   #66
noclue

Here's what I found while looking around for alternative ways to sign up for Zoho:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I do not have a cell phone. I do have a landline. Is there an alternate method to sign up. When I originally signed up for Gmail, I did not have a cell phone.

Try GMX"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So even if I wanted to do gmail, I'd still have to have a $#@! cell phone.
Old 2 May 2017, 09:33 AM   #67
TenFour
Master of the @

Check out this email app: http://www.easilydomail.com/

I just installed it and after a day of use I like it a lot. Simple, but with some nice features and everything seems to just work.
Old 2 May 2017, 10:16 AM   #68
noclue

ARRRGGGHHH!! I just finished signing up for Zoho, TenFour! I caved & used a friend's cell phone number. I have kept this recommendation, though. One can never have enough alternatives...

The problem now is to figure out how to get a Zoho icon into my task bar so that I don't have to keep signing in. I am so computer illiterate!
Old 2 May 2017, 10:39 AM   #69
TenFour
Master of the @

Posted that in the wrong thread--sorry! That app is for Android phones and is only an email client--not what you are looking for.
Old 2 May 2017, 11:51 AM   #70
noclue

Like I would know the difference! No worries, TenFour. You are forgiven.
Old 2 May 2017, 01:26 PM   #71
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit...02.05.17

Last edited by Terry : 2 May 2017 at 02:38 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 01:32 PM   #72
chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
I suggest you do the following, noclue:

(1) Sign up for a free Zoho Mail account.

(2) Have your newsletters sent to your Zoho Mail address.

(3) See if the newsletters arrive in your Zoho Mail Inbox. If they do, you can have them POP-fetched by your FastMail account. (You don't have to have FastMail retrieve them, of course.)

(4) If you want your FastMail account to fetch the newsletters, you must first go to your Zoho Mail account to "enable" POP access to the account. To enable POP access, see the following:

https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/pop-access.html

(5) After you have enabled POP access to your Zoho Mail account, go to your FastMail account and configure a POP Link for your Zoho Mail account by using the following settings:

Incoming Server Name: pop.zoho.com
Port: 995
Require SSL: Yes
Username: username@zoho.com

Also, be sure to "leave" messages in your Zoho Mail account (that is, leave them on the Zoho Mail server).

Remember, steps 4 and 5 above are "optional." You can choose "not" to have FastMail retrieve your newsletters. I included steps 4 and 5 solely to save you from having to log in to your Zoho Mail account to read your newsletters.

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Congratulations, noclue, you've done step 1. You're making progress! Now do steps 2 and 3--have your newsletters addressed to your new Zoho Mail account and see if they arrive there. If they do, you can move on to other steps, but only if you wish.

By the way, what are your first impressions of your new account? Do you like the interface? Do you find it easy to navigate? Is it cosmetically appealing to you?

Finally, send some test emails to your Zoho Mail account and see if they arrive quickly.
Old 2 May 2017, 03:58 PM   #73
chickadee

I forgot to tell you, noclue, that to keep your free Zoho Mail account active (open), you must log in at least once every 120 days. You can log in by going directly to the Zoho Mail Web site or by using POP or IMAP (see the link below).

This should not be a problem for you because you will be logging in to your account often to read your newsletters.

If you want, you can have your FastMail account automatically POP-fetch messages from your Zoho Mail account. This would be an effortless way to keep your Zoho Mail account open--and would give you peace of mind.

I myself POP-fetch messages from my Zoho Mail account to keep my account open.

If the short 120-day inactivity period bothers you, I apologize. I simply did not think of it when I recommended you try Zoho Mail.

https://www.zoho.com/mail/inactive-user-policy.html

Last edited by chickadee : 2 May 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2 May 2017, 04:55 PM   #74
noclue

Thanks for all this info, chickadee. I think I'd like to do that pop-fetch thing, but first I have to learn how to use Zoho. I can't get a Zoho icon to click on. I like visual reminders now that I am way over the hill. I've received one of the newsletters at Zoho with no problem. I wish I knew what happened at FM that shut them down. Sweet mysteries of life...

I read that you had to sign in more than 120 days with Zoho. There was a forum somewhere where people were discussing having to sign in so much. But since that's what I'm having to do every time anyway... Once I get pop-fetch set up, that won't be the case.

As far and actually using Zoho enough to comment on it, well, I'm not quite there yet. I need to make the type larger for one thing. But I can see that there are lots of different things that can be done with it, and I like the layout. Do you know if there is a way to make the received email/newsletter full screen? Right now, I have part of Zoho showing on the left and the newsletter dropped down a little on the right.
Old 2 May 2017, 05:29 PM   #75
chickadee

You wrote, "I read that you had to sign in more than 120 days with Zoho."

You don't have to sign in more than 120 times a year. You must sign in at least once every four months to keep your account open. As I wrote, that can be done through the Zoho Mail Web site or by POP or IMAP.

Last edited by chickadee : 2 May 2017 at 05:47 PM.