EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Mar 2012, 04:04 AM   #1
DJDB

Aliases as separate accounts

Hi there. I'd like to know if there is a way to access individual aliases (example@fastmail.fm) as separate accounts using Fastmail's interface.

Thanks in advance.
DJDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Mar 2012, 06:10 AM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

What do you mean, separate accounts?

It's always possible to have e-mails received at different aliases to be delivered to their own folders. You can also configure "Personalities" so that e-mails sent from different aliases are stored in their own folders. In addition, the web inferface is usually smart enough to auto-select the appropriate personality when replying. Combine these features with your own folder hierarchy, and you effectively get multiple accounts that are more or less independent of one another.

If you need even more separation between the aliases, you could always sign up for a new FastMail account, delete the alias from the first account, and add it back to the second account. But that costs money.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 06:50 AM   #3
DJDB

Thanks for your response.

This is what i want: i have my primary account ( let's say x@fastmail.fm) from where i created several aliases (let's say that one of them is y@fastmail.fm). What i'd like to do is to be able to manage y@fastmail.fm from x@fastmail.fm and also to be able to login to Fastmail using y@fastmail.fm. In other words, i want to use an alias as an alias and at the same time as a separate Fastmail account.

Is this possible?
Old 7 Mar 2012, 06:59 AM   #4
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDB View Post
i want to use an alias as an alias and at the same time as a separate Fastmail account.

Is this possible?
I don't think so. You can only log in with your primary e-mail address. Think of it as a security feature: If somebody tries to break into y@fastmail.fm, they will fail even if they know your password! Because of this, some people never give out their primary address and only use aliases when talking to other people.

If you want separate logins, you'll need to create two accounts and manage them separately.
Old 7 Mar 2012, 07:07 AM   #5
DJDB

Ok then, thanks for your help!

Just another one question that occurred to me right now: if x@fastmail.fm is my primary e-mail (and the one that i'm using to login), is it possible to use an alias as my primary login mail and convert x@fastmail.fm to an alias?
Old 7 Mar 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
kijinbear

Quote:

Just another one question that occurred to me right now: if x@fastmail.fm is my primary e-mail (and the one that i'm using to login), is it possible to use an alias as my primary login mail and convert x@fastmail.fm to an alias?
I dunno, at least it's not something that you can do on your own. Maybe FM will do it for you if you open a support ticket.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Drencrom
Master of the @

Quote:

No, but you can always rename your account to whatever username you want and the old username will automatically become an alias.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote