EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Aug 2005, 04:09 AM   #1
rhpositive

Can't receive from virtual domain

This problem has been resolved. I don't know how to close the thread.

1. domain MX shows Fastmail servers as instructed
2. user alias is assigned
3. filter set to direct mail to folder
4. v.domain shows active

No mail sent to user appears after multiple tests.

??? Suggestions?

Last edited by rhpositive : 27 Aug 2005 at 05:04 AM.
rhpositive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Aug 2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

It may take 48 hrs to propagate......
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:34 AM   #3
rhpositive

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
It may take 48 hrs to propagate......
Thanks, but it's been six days.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 06:20 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the forums, rhpositive! I recommend that you try the following:
  • First disable any existing rules. Go to the Options > Define Rules screen and select the View Filter Souce link at tha bottom. COPY the complete script to a storage location --- I recommend using the FastMail Notepad feature. Be sure to select Done when finished. After saving your old Sieve script, delete your script so that the system will use default known-good behavior.
  • Try adding an alias in a FastMail domain in the Aliases/Domains screen. Use your FastMail normal email address as the target. This will not require DNS propogation delays, so the new alias should immediately receive test messages and put them in your normal FastMail inbox. I suggest using an external (non-FastMail) system to send the test messages.
  • You can use the alias in several ways. For example, if the alias you created was "myalias@eml.cc", you could send an email to "myalias@eml.cc" and it will show up in your normal FastMail inbox. Or send an email to "misc@myalias.eml.cc" and if you have a folder "misc" the message will be automatically delivered to that folder -- without any rules required. If the "misc" folder does not exist, the message will show up in your inbox. So by using folder addressing in this manner (whatever@myalias.eml.cc), adding this alias really created a whole subdomain "myalias" under the "eml.cc" FastMail domain, and emails can be sent to any name at that subdomain.
  • If this all works with the FastMail domain alias, it is time to check your personal domain as follows.
  • You can check your personal domain MX settings using tools at:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    and use the "E-mail Test" feature at the bottom of the center column. The response to your domain should be similar to the following (preference numbers 10 and 20 may be different):
    in1.smtp.messagingengine.com. 10
    in2.smtp.messagingengine.com. 20
    As mentioned on other posts, this may take hours or even a couple of days to propogate to all DNS tables over the Internet.
  • If the MX settings look OK, then add your personal domain in the Aliases/Domains screen in the Virtual Domains section at the bottom. After you add this entry, you should see "@mydomain.com" or whatever your domain name is on a row, with the Active column marked.
  • After adding the Virtual Domain, you must also add at least one Alias to your domain in the top section of this screen. I recommend starting with the "catchall" setting of "*" for Name, your domain name for Domain (first entry in the pull-down box), your normal FastMail email address for Target, and the Active column marked.
  • Now emails sent to "whatever@mydomain.com" should show up in your normal FastMail inbox (assuming your domain is "mydomain.com"). If there is a folder in your normal FastMail setup called "whatever", then the email will be automatically placed in that folder rather than your inbox.
  • Remember to copy back any Sieve script which was saved at the start of this procedure. Select Done at the top of the script editing screen. The re-test using emails to your personal domain.
  • Be sure to always select the "DONE" button at the top of any FastMail setup screen when you are finished if you want to use the new settings. If you leave the screen without selecting "DONE", then your changes might not be used.
If you get good results from the FastMail domain aliases, but still have troubles when using your personal domain after trying all of this (and you are not getting any error messages coming back from the FastMail messagingengine.com server to the account which is sending the test messages), then something strange is going on. Let us know your results with as much detail as possible.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by n5bb
I recommend that you try the following:
  • First disable any existing rules. Go to the Options > Define Rules screen and select the View Filter Souce link at tha bottom. COPY the complete script to a storage location --- I recommend using the FastMail Notepad feature. Be sure to select Done when finished. After saving your old Sieve script, delete your script so that the system will use default known-good behavior.
I'm not sure on this but won't those instructions take away the use of the Define Rules screen so, from then on, you have to manually enter future sieve rules.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2005, 05:03 AM   #6
rhpositive

Problem resolved

With the help of FM staff this has been resolved. I cannot seem to close the thread; perhaps some kind moderator will do so. Thanks to all who made suggestions.
rh+
Old 27 Aug 2005, 10:14 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
I'm not sure on this but won't those instructions take away the use of the Define Rules screen so, from then on, you have to manually enter future sieve rules.
Sherry, to troubleshoot the virtual user domain email issue I was suggesting that all user-created Sieve rules (including those entered on the rules form screen) be manually backed up and then temporarily deleted. This would remove all processing rules to allow all incoming emails to be seen. Yes, this does temporarily remove access the Define Rules screen (default form entry of rules), and the user will only see the Advanced Rules screen (manual Sieve editing).

But when you make any manual change to the original Sieve code that was generated by the Define Rules screen, the original settings in the forms are saved by the system. To see what settings are saved, enter the Spam/Virus Protection screen and select the Done button at the top of the screen. This causes a section to be added to the bottom of your custom Sieve script which contains commented-out Sieve code which was created by both your current Virus/Spam Protection screen and (before customization) Define Rules screen form entries. This commented-out code isn't mentioned in the help system or Wiki, as far as I know.

If you are using custom Sieve scripting but want to go back to your saved Define Rules screen entries, just select the Revert Sieve Script button near the top of the Advanced Rules screen.

My suggestion to all those using manually generated Sieve scripts is to save working versions of your scripts using the FastMail Notepad feature, with a comment at the top including the date. This allows you to revert back to previous versions of your manual Sieve scripts. You just use text copy/past keyboard and mouse actions to reset the Sieve script contents. The Revert Sieve Script button on the Advanced Rules screen only reverts to the last Define Rules form entries.

Bill
Old 28 Aug 2005, 02:50 AM   #8
Sherry

Thanks for the info on getting the Define Rules page back Bill.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:32 AM   #9
spruce

This thread has great info even if the original problem is solved - don't make it go away!

General question for new virtual domain owners: what is the best way to protect agains dictionary attacks on your domain?

A useful one I've heard is *NOT* to use a catchall on your domain.

But if you point your MX records to fastmail, is there anything like a local SMTP deny list you can use? Or do you have to use Sieve to do stuff like that?
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 03:43 AM   #10
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
You can use Sieve to reject/discard mails, but note that Sieve cannot do a reject at the original SMTP stage.. ie., the mail will be queued in, and a bounce is generated after the mail has been accepted by the MTA.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 04:59 AM   #11
gsjudge

Hi All,

My virtrual domain has stopped working tonight properley too, its been on for years and worked fine.

Checked out ttp://www.dnsreport.com/ and according to that there is some problem on the messagingengine.com servers, which could well be the same problem as the OP is having.

Lets hope its gets fixed quickly!

Cheers
gsjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:32 AM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Email to my personal virtual domain is still working fine today, gsjudge.

I checked messagingengine.com at dnsreport.com, and didn't see any significant problems (only a couple of warnings that aren't important). I sent several messages through my virtual domain (personal domain with my MX records pointing to the FastMail server) with no problems. From hitting <send> in the MS Hotmail web interface to receipt of the message (sorted properly into a folder with my rules) in the FastMail web interface (after full spam and virus search and a lot of personal rules) took about 8 seconds.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:48 AM   #13
gsjudge

Quote:
Originally posted by n5bb
Email to my personal virtual domain is still working fine today, gsjudge.

I checked messagingengine.com at dnsreport.com, and didn't see any significant problems (only a couple of warnings that aren't important). I sent several messages through my virtual domain (personal domain with my MX records pointing to the FastMail server) with no problems. From hitting <send> in the MS Hotmail web interface to receipt of the message (sorted properly into a folder with my rules) in the FastMail web interface (after full spam and virus search and a lot of personal rules) took about 8 seconds.
Something wrong here then somewhere! Was working fine earlier today and nothing has been changed at all. Will leave for now and if no better in the morning I'll email admin!

Cheers
gsjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:58 AM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The DNS (MX record) for your domain might have a problem, gsjudge. You might try testing your domain at dnsreport.com. Look at the "Mail" section. It will tell you if all was found OK.

Also, you might try sending email to your domain from another email system. It's possible that a particular email system you are using for testing has a DNS problem with your domain or messagingengine.com. So some people might be successfull sending you email, while others fail. This might be a problem at their end, not yours.