EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 30 Jun 2020, 05:05 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Maildroid Problems

I am testing Maildroid on my Android 'phone, and am having problems with sub folders (to the Inbox) with my Fastmail account:

1. I am not getting notifications of new mail in the sub-folders, only in the Inbox itself.
2. The "Combined Inbox" does not show mails from the Fastmail sub-folders.

Could anyone with Maildroid experience please assist?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jun 2020, 09:53 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Surely the Fastmail forum would be a better place to ask?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 09:58 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I don't consider the problem is Fastmail specific, it's either solvable by something somewhere in the Maildroid settings, or the software does not consider the sub folders to be a part of the inbox.
Old 1 Jul 2020, 02:46 AM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I had a problem with getmail when I switched from mail.messagingengine.com to an app password on imap.fastmail.com. It turned-out that "INBOX.getmail" that I was retreiving from on the former server had to be accessed as just "getmail" on the latter.

I mention this as you referred to "sub folders (to the Inbox)".
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2020, 02:57 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I should mention that the e-mails are fetched by Maildroid, and every new e-mail goes to the correct folders (both Inbox and the sub folders to Inbox).

So that's not the problem, it's only when I open a sub folder on Maildroid that I know of any new e-mails.

Since my initial post I've also been testing FairEmail, this is all working as expected:

1. I am getting new notifications, even if the screen is locked.
2. The e-mails in the sub folders appear in the "Unified Inbox".

The test of FairEmail is quite positive, and so I'm most likely to use this particular app.
Old 1 Jul 2020, 07:58 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

I have never found notifications reliable on Android for some reason. Doesn't seem to be isolated to particular apps. For many months I was only receiving occasional notifications from Gmail. Went through lots of different troubleshooting sequences and nothing made it consistent. Then boom! One day the notifications started working again. Same with the Outlook app. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My hunch is that if you utilize whatever is the most generic setup you are more likely to have the notifications work properly. I tried FairEmail for a bit and it does seem to be a great app, but in the end I find dedicated apps perform the best.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote