EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Dec 2022, 10:44 PM   #1
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

New search builder on Beta

Currently Fastmail is testing (on https://betaapp.fastmail.com/) a new tool to build mail searches by a combination of typing in the search box and clicking on suggestions that appear under the search box.
It's a work in progress: yesterday I was missing some functionality and went back to the production app for some searches. Today didn't have to leave the beta app.
It looks quite promising and as usual they collect comments from users of the Beta app.

Last edited by hadaso : 6 Dec 2022 at 03:41 AM. Reason: correct typo
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Dec 2022, 03:40 AM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Actually now I start to like the new search box more than the old one: suggestions change while typing based on the partial search string already typed, so when typing a folder's name, matching folders and some sub-folders are suggested, and when typing a contact name matching contacts are suggested.
Old 6 Dec 2022, 10:06 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, I also like the new search. Have you noticed that there is a new (undocumented in Help) search operator with: which finds matches for both to: and from: the target address or name. After one search term is automatically created, you click back at the end of the Search box to add another search term. If you click on some portion of the current search string you can change the portion you clicked. There are many features of the UI in this new implementation!

There are other recently added features which are very powerful. I'm using the right-side sidebar all the time. You can toggle it on/off using CTL-shift-i (Windows) or by clicking the sidebar icon at the upper right.
  • When this sidebar is open on People, you can use the j/k keyboard shortcuts to move through your conversations (or messages) and see the Sender and Recipients of each message (name and email address) for each message.
  • If this sidebar is open to Attachments, you can similarly quickly scroll through your message to see the name and size of each attachment and download it if you wish.
  • You can also use the Calendar from the right-side sidebar. So you can be reading a message and quickly on that same screen open your calendar and check a future date, then add a calendar appointment while you are still viewing the message. I have been keeping a separate tab with the Calendar open in my browser, but now I can get to the Calendar immediately on the same screen. That's very useful!
  • And of course you can now see the most recent New Fastmail features in the right-side sidebar.
Instead of the betaapp.fastmail.com beta system, there is currently a usertestapp.fastmail.com system which is testing a context-sensitive settings icon in the upper right of many screens. These two systems are currently independent and test different new features.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2022, 05:08 PM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I haven't noticed the attachments tab in the sidebar. Now that i know about it I expect yo use it sometimes.
Usually I have the calendar open in the sidebar. It's the most useful thing to have there most of the time, and i like the ability to quickly cut and paste parts of email messages into an edited calendar entry. I like to keep information in the notes field of calendar entries (like weather or not I registered to an event, and if I did sometimes there's a registration code and a link for canceling the registration. I also like to write there things I want to remember to do or say during a meeting or event).