EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Jan 2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Steven Avery

forwarding gmail to POP server for (redundant) biz mail to special lean email client

Follow me a bit, if you have a minute, although I grant this might be unique.

Generally, I like to work at home with POP mailboxes, I do not like working in Gmail or any other online service (which are fav here), so I have mail coming to:

verizon.net accounts - now they have moved to AOL servers
gmail - various accounts, one is biz GSuite
--- the gmail accounts forward a copy to my verizon.net

A year ago I switched from Eudora to TheBat! because Eudora and the new AOL servers were not happy together (my experience.) Also I really do like some of the TheBat! features, including virtual folders, and Eudora is 1,000 years old (but still the best in many ways)

With all the forums and stuff, my homebase email is too big. It is great for searching, and virtual folders, but it tends to be a bit unwieldy for quick usage. I have a couple hundred filters more to create (I liked filter management more in Eudora, although TheBat! is generally ok.) It grows maybe 15 GB a year. Every 5 or 10 years I might archive .. everything, and then run two instances of TheBat! or Eudora. Merging archives can be a problem, but I do successfully have a Eudora email archive of about 10 years. Works well for historical searching. Yes, I know there are services like MailStore, but I am skeptical that they will do what I want in an elegant way.

I would like to simultaneously work with a thin client email client for just the biz email, which is only a small %. Maybe forward a second copy from Gmail to a POP server. Then download that POP server to ... some email client.

This POP server could be a domain I own, or a dedicated service, I don't mind a small payment for good service, and the mall would be downloaded daily so there is no size problem.

===============

Note: I am not trying to selectively download from Gmail, although I grant that might be possible. It feels like a problematic solution, unless I hear that it works wonderfully for some folks. I prefer the forwarding method, since it is real-time, and quite rock-solid, and does not get you nervous about what is going on at the server.

===============

1)
What would you recommend for the POP server?
The one that receives the second copy forwarded from Gmail.

================

2)
And if you are an email client guy, do you have any other recommendations? I do not want to run two TheBat! instances, so I would go back to Eudora for this need, or use Becky or one of the others, nice email editing and virtual folders would be nice.

I know email clients are not usually the joie de vivre here, but the folks here are very well informed .

================

All thoughts welcome!

And if you have ways to vastly, radically improve my thinking, I am listening.

Steven
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jan 2019, 08:18 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
you may try fastmail the basic plan, disk is not large, but pop works well.
for client i always use thunderbird.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Steven Avery

Fastmail set up - next step - the email client

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
you may try fastmail the basic plan, disk is not large, but pop works well.
for client i always use thunderbird.
Thanks. I got the Fastmail part done, and the selective biz mail forwarding. Now to try an email client for the POP download.

Suggestions welcome.

Good RTF composing, it is nice if a clipboard picture can go right into the text like in Eudora, decent searching and filtering, virtual folders would be nice, reliable. Spoofing the sending account would be good, or at least inserting a different reply-to.

This will be a modest usage, maybe 100 emails a week, and much of that will be quickly filtered aside. (So the virtual folders is not so critical.) My experiences with Thunderbird filtering some years back had a rinky-dink feeling.

Claws, EmClient, Mailbird, Thunderbird, Postbox, and any of the oldtimers still actively developed Becky, Pegasus Poco (nope).

Slant discusses a few
https://www.slant.co/topics/8222/~de...for-windows-10

And second iterations of Eudora and TheBat!

Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery : 28 Jan 2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Steven Avery

Fastmail and the App Password

Fastmail is pretty tricky with its App Password, which is new to me, and presumably a part of enhanced security.

When I tried to access it with Claws Mail it was a bit of a game of Alphosne and Gaston.

EmClient is said to be more natively supported for that purpose, and I am giving that a try right now.

I definitely can see that App Password (which means you might have a few different passwords that are "remembered" internally for different access methods) as a potential plus, but does it have to be mandatory?

It makes me think of switching to one of the other trials, Runbox et. al.
The flexibility of Google forwarding (and extra forwarding from filtering) makes it pretty easy to play around.

====================================

EmClient came up quickly in IMAP. However when I went back in, deleted that account, and tried to get it up in POP3, it became a bit frustrating. I am getting ready to try an alternative to Fastmail.

Last edited by Steven Avery : 28 Jan 2019 at 12:23 PM.