EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Aug 2019, 02:05 AM   #1
evfrson

Question Restriction on email address name

Does anyone know why FastMail doesn't allow email address names (the bit before the @) to start with a numeric character on its own domains ?

I have looked in the help pages but cannot find out why.
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Aug 2019, 03:46 AM   #2
Folio

Traditionally, Unix user names could not begin with numbers, but I do not know if Fastmail's limitation is related to that.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2019, 04:58 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Traditionally, Unix user names could not begin with numbers, but I do not know if Fastmail's limitation is related to that.
I think that is the answer. User accounts in Cyrus IMAP are implemented as Unix users. This allows access to folders and files to be implemented using regular Unix permissions.

There would be no need for the limitation to apply to aliases, I believe.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2019, 06:14 AM   #4
evfrson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I think that is the answer. User accounts in Cyrus IMAP are implemented as Unix users. This allows access to folders and files to be implemented using regular Unix permissions.

There would be no need for the limitation to apply to aliases, I believe.
Thanks for your answers - it makes sense.
evfrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2019, 01:04 PM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

This may be a close enough topic for me to ask soming that's been bothering me about alias naming restrictions. When attempting to create alias names in FM why are certain names prohibited from use no matter what domain FM allows you to choose and no matter what valid sequence of characters you follow those names with? It's hard to believe they are all being used.

Examples include names starting with anonymous, register, account all result in "sorry...already been taken" errors no matter which domain FM allows you choose from their list. I can understand those actual names already being used but put anything, for example a random number of digits after those names, always result in "already taken". Example, anonymous8979709767857.

There's more than just these 3 names but that's all I could quickly come up with for this post.

So is there some kind of global alias naming restrictions on certain words you cannot begin with. Or is this some restriction FM itself has? This has always bugged me but I never thoght it important enough to submit a ticket on it nor even post here...till now.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2019, 10:13 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I asked @FastMail the OP's question on Twitter, on behalf of the forum, and they answered:

Quote:
This restriction on usernames beginning with numbers is a legacy security requirement.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2019, 10:47 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I asked @FastMail the OP's question on Twitter, on behalf of the forum, and they answered:
Typical helpdesk answer.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote