EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:16 PM   #166
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
It's http://eumx.net (You had the "m" and "x" reversed. )

I just logged in to my account there with Squirrelmail and it was fine.
Yes, my bad, itīs https://ssl.eumx.net. Squirrelmail will dissapear in 1 year or so, meanwhile you can use it, and with Horde there is an option to use a minimal interface without javascript. If you use a mobile phone you will see the windows to choose it, in the case of a pc you can change the user agent with an addon when you want to login or if you donīt want to do it that way then the only choice I see is to enable javascript only to login (if not another interface needing javascript will appear) and then disable it (once the mobile version is already on).
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 12:01 AM   #167
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
...the newer interface becomes much more efficient for power users once the keyboard shortcuts are learned.
I just want to emphasize how true this really is for me as well. The keyboard shortcuts basically mirror the ones from Gmail, more or less, and I honestly found them to be the best thing about using the Gmail web interface over the years.... There's a certain "keep-the-finger-on-the-keyboard" approach that actually makes a lot of sense once you get used to it.

In fact, I find these specific keyboard shortcuts so efficient that I use a plug-in within Apple Mail that mirrors them on my Mac as well.

You can find a list of them all here.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 03:21 AM   #168
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
I'm an occasional Classic interface user, but only for a few things.

The most important thing in my opinion, is to be able to upload contacts into various contact sub-folders. Only supporting contacts to upload to the main contacts folder is terrible, and you end up with a huge mess. FASTMAIL PLEASE FIX THIS!
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 02:15 PM   #169
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

But you can put email addresses into different folders.

Make your required folders, then select the email address or the contact name and assign that address or name to what ever folder you have chosen.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:31 PM   #170
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

If I'm working with a couple emails, that's okay, I'm working with thousands of email addresses.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:30 PM   #171
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
The most important thing in my opinion, is to be able to upload contacts into various contact sub-folders. Only supporting contacts to upload to the main contacts folder is terrible, and you end up with a huge mess. FASTMAIL PLEASE FIX THIS!
Hi ChinaLamb,

you could build a workaround using the 'No group' group.
  1. Create a temporary group, let's say 'Temp'
  2. Assign all contacts in 'No group' to the new Temp group. So now you'll have an empty 'No group'
  3. Import your new contacts. Those – and only those – will now show up in 'No group' again
  4. Now you can create a group for your new contacs and move them from 'No group' there
Wouldn't that be a solution for your problem?

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:13 PM   #172
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

That works....
Old 21 Jan 2017, 12:38 AM   #173
PON
Essential Contributor

> EUMX.NET

How does one sign up? Where can I learn about this service. First I heard of it was here and the web site is uninformative.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 01:37 AM   #174
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
> EUMX.NET

How does one sign up? Where can I learn about this service. First I heard of it was here and the web site is uninformative.
I have not looked at them recently. I think their site is partly broken. To register, you normally to to Get support->New registration, but that is not working.

They are in a state of flux right now, with major enhancements planned. Here are a couple of pages that provide a limited idea of what they provide:
http://www.eumx.net/services.php
http://www.eumx.net/data/openwebmail...9-1/index.html (WARNING: previously the main interface used, but I think they plan to discontinue support in favor of other clients like RoundCube, SquireelMail and Horde)..

Mainly, their selling points in the past, were limited (but usable) free accounts, and good support of mainstream open source clients.

If you can get a free account to play around with, there is no reason not to, but I would not do anything significant with them at this time. Wait to see how the situation there develops in the next couple of months.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 03:38 AM   #175
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
> EUMX.NET

Send them a message from here: http://www.eumx.net/contact.php and they will contact you offering a free account, normally with the same name of the email account you are writing. If you accept they will answer when it's done. That's my case.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 12:23 PM   #176
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Now looking for a desktop client

Can anyone suggest a simple desktop IMAP client for those of us who don't need any fancy features? (I'm told I was one of the last 5 people who held onto old.fastmail.fm until forced off of it.) All mail should remain on the Fastmail server. All I need is access to INBOX and FOLDERS. No images, no JS, low bandwidth would be a plus. (Gee, I'm starting to sound like Rob and Jeremy at the Fastmail rollout in 1999. I was there . . . when the service was still free.)
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 12:31 PM   #177
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Can anyone suggest a simple desktop IMAP client for those of us who don't need any fancy features?
FossaMail - http://www.fossamail.org/

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 05:32 PM   #178
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I'm told I was one of the last 5 people who held onto old.fastmail.fm until forced off of it.
I also hung on to 'old' til the bitter end.
I'm sure there were many more than five of us!
I shall do the same with 'classic'.

Who owns the rights to the code for the 'old' interface, by the way?
Is it proprietary or open source?
Is there any prospect of it being revived?

Maybe those of us who remember it fondly could band together into some sort of consumer co-operative to bring it back?

I'd be prepared to invest hard cash into any such enterprise.

Last edited by Grhm : 21 Jan 2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: minor typo
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2017, 05:55 PM   #179
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Who owns the rights to the code for the 'old' interface, by the way?
Is it proprietary or open source?
Is there any prospect of it being revived?
Bits of it are open source, but it was never made available in its entirety. It, of course, was highly interlinked with the backend code, which was not any public release of Vanilla Cyrus IMAP. It was a heavily modified version, and has anyway changed considerably in the years since the old interface was retired.

After this long, I think it would be a huge project to get a stable and secure version of the old interface working again. It would never happen.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 12:51 PM   #180
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Now looking for a desktop client
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Thanks Bruce. FOSSAMAIL won't work on my Win2K laptop, but I discovered a cute simple email client built into the SEAMONKEY browser. Old versions are available for older operating systems. For those of us who don't have fast, big, free data pipes, this is going to be a godsend. To simply login to Fastmail using the new Fastmail interface and look at the INBOX (without opening any messages) consumed 601KB of data. Doing the same thing using the Seamonkey client only used 26KB.

Of course, there are some things a client can't do -- like updating my custom Sieve script -- but I think it's going to do well for daily reading and writing of messages.

BTW: The Seamonkey BROWSER seems to be a bit of a CPU hog when it first loads, but the MAIL CLIENT can be launched without starting the browser. The installer will have put a SEAMONKEY MAIL shortcut in your Start Menu. Use that to launch the mail client by itself.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry : 23 Jan 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote