EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 May 2017, 03:01 PM   #331
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll View Post
If this forum were running up-to-date forum software, I would have "liked" this post. As someone who once had a "lifetime" Bigfoot account (in their case, "lifetime" turned out to mean five years), I know what you're talking about.
Yep, I had a "lifetime" Bigfoot account too...
Now I have a real lifetime Pobox account
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 03:28 PM   #332
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Is the user interface the Old Fastmail UI or the latest?
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 05:15 PM   #333
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Now I have a real lifetime Pobox account.
Have you been time travelling again, Oded?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 10:28 AM   #334
thisisnotgood

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I'm not wearing Tin foil hats, I just want my privacy.
Perhaps you should contemplate wearing a bag over your head every time you leave your home? Do you have any idea how often you are video recorded many times without your knowledge. That's sure an invasion of privacy. You can't avoid it these days. These companies that gather data have no bad intent, it's about making money. That's pretty much it.

You don't think credit cards "track" you? It's EVERYWHERE! You don't think banks "sell" your information? What about the lovely credit bureau's? They make a mint off of selling your credit profiles to lenders, employers and others.

Here is a solution, just live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere, like Grizzly Adams.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 11:15 AM   #335
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood View Post
Perhaps you should contemplate wearing a bag over your head every time you leave your home?
there's a lot you can do.

You can it out with all your credit cards, you can opt out with your cell phone, and your internet provider, you can also opt out of consumer services, you can use opt out pages for Google, as well as the NAI. You can contact the credit unions as well and opt out there too...

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 14 May 2017 at 11:37 PM.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 05:32 PM   #336
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think he was referring to not showing your face for photo's, well that's how I took it anyway...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 11:34 PM   #337
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I think he was referring to not showing your face for photo's, well that's how I took it anyway...
Possibly... Benefit of the doubt...
Old 15 May 2017, 12:06 AM   #338
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
You don't think credit cards "track" you? It's EVERYWHERE! You don't think banks "sell" your information? What about the lovely credit bureau's? They make a mint off of selling your credit profiles to lenders, employers and others.
Whether or not you approve of the tone, this is very true. Personally, I think the fight for online privacy is mainly over, and privacy has lost. The best most of us can do is to minimize the unpleasant impacts on ourselves, based on our own preferences. Younger generations think most of us old farts are just crazy to expect levels of privacy that used to be the norm--it just isn't part of their view of the world.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:10 AM   #339
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Personally, I think the fight for online privacy is mainly over, and privacy has lost.
Very true, but I'm not giving up.

You can even opt out of several national databases, have to give driver's license, other proof, but as long as it's not a government, you can still exclude yourself from many services collecting your data.
Old 15 May 2017, 12:20 AM   #340
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
You can even opt out of several national databases, have to give driver's license, other proof, but as long as it's not a government, you can still exclude yourself from many services collecting your data.
The problem is that everything is connected, so even if you successfully opt out of something (assuming they actually honor it) your information still gets promulgated via something else you can't opt out of. One of my pet peeves is that you absolutely need your social security number to obtain medical services, which is then stored on some totally insecure doctor's office system and on numerous paper documents floating around that many people can easily access. I once worked for a company that interfaced with other organizations' databases and it was interesting how much personal information ordinary employees could easily access all in plain text on the client's system. I'm certain the client had stated privacy policies, but they didn't seem to extend to the service providers. Our company was very careful with the information, but it was still readily available to a wide range of employees.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:29 PM   #341
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
The problem is that everything is connected, so even if you successfully opt out of something (assuming they actually honor it) your information still gets promulgated via something else you can't opt out of.
You can opt out of the big data brokers...
Here's one such list.
StopDataMining.Me has been featured

http://www.stopdatamining.me/opt-out-list/
Old 16 May 2017, 03:59 AM   #342
thisisnotgood

Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
You can opt out of the big data brokers...
Here's one such list.
StopDataMining.Me has been featured

http://www.stopdatamining.me/opt-out-list/
That site says to click on one of those links to look up your information, the site gets paid a percentage of the cost of the data-mining sites that you have to PAY them to look up the info! Note the reference #'s on the links.

And even if you opt out, they still have your info but you just paid them to look it up. Again, if you are a law abiding citizen having your info out there really is not a big deal.

Twisted, very twisted...
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 04:44 AM   #343
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotgood View Post
That site says to click on one of those links to look up your information, the site gets paid a percentage of the cost of the data-mining sites that you have to PAY them to look up the info! Note the reference #'s on the links.

And even if you opt out, they still have your info but you just paid them to look it up. Again, if you are a law abiding citizen having your info out there really is not a big deal.
I don't think you are correct regarding them getting "paid a percentage." Each of those links are the same links that are one each of their own websites, explaining the opt-out procedure... They are also the same links I see if I do a google search on "Acxiom opt out" from Google or Bing or...
Old 16 May 2017, 07:45 AM   #344
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Again, if you are a law abiding citizen having your info out there really is not a big deal.
Some people value privacy and consider it worth a lot. I understand that. It isn't about breaking the law--it is about living your life the way you want to. Privacy used to be something you controlled--no more! Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to achieve much privacy today, and what little is left is eroding every day.
Old 16 May 2017, 07:52 AM   #345
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Some people value privacy and consider it worth a lot. I understand that. It isn't about breaking the law--it is about living your life the way you want to. Privacy used to be something you controlled--no more! Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to achieve much privacy today, and what little is left is eroding every day.
It really is saddening where we are headed with all the TYRANNY going on...
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote