EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 21 Aug 2021, 06:23 AM   #46
edsel456

15+ year tuffmail user here. Very said to see it go. I reached out to John directly to express my appreciation of all his hard work.

I'm still trying to figure out an alternative. As someone who uses heavily uses AWS for my day job, I figured maybe WorkMail + SES and some lambda scripts and I could emulate most of the functionality. Turns out ... not so much.

Specifically -- I value having a catch-all address, and that's missing from WorkMail. There are (possible) workarounds that just seem too convoluted.

I also highly value being able to reply from my various aliases, automatically selecting the appropriate one based on the recipient of the incoming message. I've found that only Thunderbird seems to support this use case.

So now I'm also looking for a new provider.
edsel456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2021, 05:09 PM   #47
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2021, 07:06 PM   #48
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Welcome to EMD
The last ‘Tuffmail community’ standing.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2021, 02:39 AM   #49
edsel456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
The last ‘Tuffmail community’ standing.
Yep -- I joined to commiserate.
Old 23 Aug 2021, 06:51 AM   #50
Bamb0
Master of the @

Its sad how all these companies are shutting down.......

It doesnt cost much to run a mail server does it??

I mean there used to be all kinds of FREE email out there so it must not have been very expensive....

I reckon spam is what caused people to close down
Old 23 Aug 2021, 07:00 AM   #51
TenFour
Master of the @

It's a lot of work to maintain an email service, with lots of customer service issues.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2021, 12:09 AM   #52
ldarby

Another paying customer here, since 2005. This, combined with my email client Sylpheed possibly dying (https://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylp...st/006950.html), has been pretty brutal...
ldarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2021, 09:17 AM   #53
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD
Old 28 Aug 2021, 05:38 AM   #54
edsel456

I've done some trials of both Polaris and Fastmail over the last few days. I'm leaning toward Fastmail at this point -- the filtering is great (full-featured Sieve and filter preview in the UI), and the automated selection of sender identity based on folder is a *really* cool feature.
Old 28 Aug 2021, 05:57 AM   #55
jdtaylor
Master of the @

It’s a shame - the current economic climate hasn’t been helping.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2021, 05:08 PM   #56
Bamb0
Master of the @

No not at all....... Probably hurting majorly!!
Old 5 Sep 2021, 01:40 PM   #57
ldarby

I've now migrated to Protonmail because I liked their encryption, but unfortunately there are a number of stupid bugs in their system that mean I can't recommend them at all.

1) Copying messages between folders deletes the source message. Workaround: run my own local IMAP server to hold copies of emails (I already had this setup).
2) It won't allow sent messages to exist in the INBOX. Sure, why not exclude all my emails from email threads? Workaround: have a folder called INBOX2 and have a sieve filter that moves everything to that.
3) The spam filter is rubbish as it misclassifies non-spam emails as spam, and cannot be trained or disabled. The workaround for 2 above solves this issue too. (I'm going to miss Tuffmail's spam filter, I had it trained to distinguish between very spammy looking emails that weren't spam and actual spam).
Old 6 Sep 2021, 04:45 AM   #58
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hmmmm

1) Can you just forward the message to yourself and then leave that message in INBOX while the forwarded message you move??

2) Hmmm what happens,does it automatically move read stuff to trash??

3) Even if you move stuff to INBOX it doesnt send future stuff from that addy to INBOX??

Hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Bamb0 : 6 Sep 2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 08:27 AM   #59
ldarby

1) No, forwarding would work because it creates a whole new email, which is not a copy of an existing email.

2) It's just confusing, it's like they're running another IMAP client that's fighting what you do, i.e. it's always moving any new emails in INBOX with from=Me to the Sent folder. If I move it back to INBOX that works (client's IMAP logs say so), but then the message immediately gets deleted from INBOX and re-appears in Sent. Same with 1), client succeeds but the source message is just gone, like someone else deleted it.

3) I don't know, but it doesn't matter, I might get similar looking emails from new senders that are not spam and should not be classed as spam. Whitelisting addresses does not help.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 09:45 AM   #60
Bamb0
Master of the @

Ya I know whitelisting doesnt always work as ppl on YAHOO have added me to thier WHITE LIST and I still get sent to Junk/spam