EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 May 2014, 11:12 PM   #1
sodzilla

No access.

Since today I get this message in Firefox 29; IE works fine, Android too.

"Cross domain or link based login attempted. Please try again." I've done the "verify account" thing, didn't help.

Any help is appreciated.

Jelle.
sodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2014, 12:45 AM   #2
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Did you read this? http://blog.fastmail.fm/2014/05/09/m...n-more-secure/

Quote:
The “Referer” header in the POST request must be present and must match the protocol and host (normally https://www.fastmail.fm), otherwise the login is rejected.
May need to update your bookmark. I use https://www.fastmail.fm/ and it seems to work fine.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 01:24 AM   #3
sodzilla

No accesss.

Hi,

thanks, haven't read it, will do so. Firefox quit altogether on me after flushing the cache, Chrome and IE no problems, so I guess it's not Fastmail related.

Jelle.
Old 10 May 2014, 03:51 AM   #4
sodzilla

No access.

Correct that. On my laptop Ff works well, and I still can't access Fastmail. I've looked at the provided link about the blog post on new safety measures,and if someone can translate it for me into plain English, please let me know.
Safety is nice, being able to use your paid for account is even nicer.

Jelle.
Old 10 May 2014, 07:42 AM   #5
sodzilla

Problem solved thanks to swift reaction of support, maybe of help for others:

"We recently rolled out a change to improve security by ensuring all login requests come from our site. To do this, we check something called the Referer header. It seems you have this turned off in your browser. To fix this in Firefox:

1. Type about:config in the URL address bar.
2. A large collection of alphabetically listed information will appear in the browser window.
3. Search for network.http.sendRefererHeader.
4. By default, this should be set at 2. If it is set to 0 - which disables sending referrers - right click it, select Modify and enter 2 as the value.

If this does not fix the issue, you may be using an extension that disables the referrer; either disable the extension or set it to allow sending the header for the www.fastmail.fm domain."
Old 11 May 2014, 04:57 PM   #6
paul29

I like the Prefbar extension which adds a configuration toolbar that has a check box for turning the referer header on and off. Referers are in general a privacy invasion, but they have some legitimate uses in situations like this. So I turn them off most of the time but click the box before logging into fastmail. If I were more ambitious I'd hack up some code to turn it on specifically for fastmail, but it's not a big deal.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 10:09 AM   #7
sodzilla

Good tip, now use RefControl Ff extension.
Old 12 May 2014, 11:45 PM   #8
jenny4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodzilla View Post
Been using that for a while. I use "forge", though, and I'm now starting to wonder if that wouldn't increase vulnerability to CSRF...
jenny4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2014, 06:18 PM   #9
goky

Lightbulb With Opera one can set this per site

For anyone who is having this problem with Opera Browser: Right click a fastmail page, the menu will have "Edit site preferences" > Network > enable referrer information. Profit

That being said: I haven't had to enable referrer logging for a website in about a decade, it is easily spoofed, it's clunky and (especially if you can't do it per site) it is privacy invasive.

About the only good thing I can say about it is that the feeling of dealing with this particular idiocy (after so long without it) made me feel a few years younger.
goky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2014, 02:33 PM   #10
quidam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodzilla View Post
FF Referrer Control add-on is better than RefControl IMO.
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote