EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Dec 2018, 07:06 PM   #31
slawrenceuk

More information regarding the visibility (or not) of the "Add score as [SPAM xx.x} to subject..." option. I discovered that my account is on the new JMAP platform (according to the hint here: https://twitter.com/FastMail/status/1078169933597466626). The option to prepend the spam score is not visible in my account whereas it is visible in my wife's basic account. Her account appears to still be on the IMAP platform. (Same PC, same browser.)

In case you're not on Twitter, the hint is this:
Quote:
Hi! There are some differences when the account is on JMAP. One good way to tell is by clicking on an email while "Show reading pane" is selected. If the email you have chosen from the reading pane is shaded grey, your account is on JMAP!
I still have no idea if this is a bug or a "feature".
slawrenceuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2018, 07:22 PM   #32
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

I've been meaning to follow-up here...

I swapped several emails with Neil Jenkins, regarding the handful of bug reports I noted above.

He mentioned that, to my disappointment, the feature to pre-pend the spam score to the subject line of spam emails was going to be removed in the new year. So, that probably explains the pre-emptive disappearance for some accounts so far.
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2018, 07:47 PM   #33
slawrenceuk

Sorry to hear that DumbGuy. May I suggest an alternative? To see the spam score for each email when you click on "Show details" below the sender of an email, set the display of the X-Spam-score header in the mail reading preferences. (Settings, Mail, Preferences, Reading, Show advanced preferences, Extra headers; add X-Spam-score in the box.) I also show the header X-Mail-from to show me who really sent the email.
slawrenceuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 06:35 AM   #34
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give that a try...
Old 28 Dec 2018, 08:48 AM   #35
ppm

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawrenceuk View Post
Sorry to hear that DumbGuy. May I suggest an alternative? To see the spam score for each email when you click on "Show details" below the sender of an email, set the display of the X-Spam-score header in the mail reading preferences. (Settings, Mail, Preferences, Reading, Show advanced preferences, Extra headers; add X-Spam-score in the box.) I also show the header X-Mail-from to show me who really sent the email.
Thank you, slawrenceuk, for this useful tip.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 10:19 AM   #36
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Yeah, but it's not as handy as a prefix to the mail subject.
I add my name to those who regret the discontinuation of that function.
Please reconsider, Fastmail people.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 11:27 AM   #37
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 28 Dec 2018 at 01:10 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:16 PM   #38
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 28 Dec 2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:19 PM   #39
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Show details (or Classic theme) to display extra headers

Here are some more details about the Show details feature in the Fastmail web interface. You can see the Show details feature if you select the Standard, Dark, Large Font, or Minimal theme in the Settings>General>Preferences>Theme screen. If you use the Classic theme you will not see the Show details button and the extra headers shown below will always be shown:
  • The normal display shows the following:
    • Subject header
    • From header display name (or local-part of From address if there is no display name)
    • To header display name (or local-part of From address if there is no display name)
    • Date (or time if recent) the message was received (in your timezone)
  • Show details displays the following (by default):
    • The information described above for the normal display and a temporary display of the following:
    • From full header
    • To full header
    • Subject full header
    • Date and time the message was received (in your timezone)
    • Size of the message (not shown in any header and always displayed at the bottom of this list)
  • In the Settings>Mail>Preferences>Reading>Extra headers screen you can add additional headers which will appear when you click Show details between Date and Size. Some additional headers you might consider adding include:
    • X-Spam-Score (also shown before Subject when a message is in the Spam folder)
    • X-Spam-Known Sender (yes if the From address is in your address book -- group and hex code used in sieve for that group is also shown)
    • X-Spam-Hits (SpamAssassin hits and Bayes database information)
    • X-Spam-Source (sending server IP, hostname, country, and top level domain names)
    • X-Mail-From (envelope-From address)
    • X-Delivered-To (envelope-To address used even during BCC)
    • X-Resolved-To (target address after alias targeting and subdomain addressing conversion to plus+address)
  • You can toggle the Show details feature on/off using the : (colon) keyboard shortcut.
  • If you enable the Classic theme you will always see the extra headers described above and the Show details button will not be shown.
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 28 Dec 2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Classic theme forces display of extra headers
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:45 PM   #40
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Spam score tag on subject

I have a Fastmail account on the new JMAP system (Websites is in the Settings menu) and the old system (Websites is in the Files menu). On both of these accounts, messages in the Spam folder have the following Subject spam icon and spam score:
http://emdforum.sent.com/SpamSubjectTag.PNG/

This is visible on the old system now even if you have the spam marking disabled. I think they removed this setting in the Spam Protection screen (it's not on the new JMAP account) because it isn't needed anymore. All messages in the Spam folder in both accounts have this icon and the spam score.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2018, 12:51 PM   #41
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Edit......

Last edited by Terry : 28 Dec 2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 04:03 PM   #42
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I have a Fastmail account on the new JMAP system (Websites is in the Settings menu) and the old system (Websites is in the Files menu). On both of these accounts, messages in the Spam folder have the following Subject spam icon and spam score:
http://emdforum.sent.com/SpamSubjectTag.PNG/

This is visible on the old system now even if you have the spam marking disabled. I think they removed this setting in the Spam Protection screen (it's not on the new JMAP account) because it isn't needed anymore. All messages in the Spam folder in both accounts have this icon and the spam score.

Bill

Thanks for the clarification, Bill. That sounds like a good hypothesis.

They're of course assuming people review their spam emails in the spam folder (I suppose most people do), whereas some of us prefer to redirect and review our spam emails in the Inbox instead, where the spam badge+score doesn't appear at all.
Old 28 Dec 2018, 04:33 PM   #43
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I see those spam score "badges" too which is ok for the Spam folder but additional subfolders of Spam (which I have while I am validating my blacklisting) do not show that badge even though they inherit the other attributes of its Spam parent, i.e., the botton at the top of these subfolders is to mark as "not spam" as opposed to "report spam".

I am using the spam score prefix so I wonder what there reasoning is for removing it. I'll probably submit a ticket the second I see it disappear. I'm still using the "old" (?) interface. Ticket probably won't do any good but I still would let them know of my feelings.

As for showing additional headers I've been doing that for some time. Very useful and convenient (X-Spam-Source, X-Spam-Score, X-Spam-Known-Sender).

I was going to complain about not having an option to have show details on by default. I didn't know until now that Classic theme does that. I've been using Standard all this time. Thank you n5bb for that info.

Last edited by xyzzy : 28 Dec 2018 at 04:51 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2019, 07:05 PM   #44
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Well it seems as of Jan 3 I've been switched to JMAP and the adding of the spam score to new incoming spam is no longer prefixed with the score nor is the option available in Spam Protection I submitted a ticket to ask for an explanation.

As for drafts I tried constructing an email complete with an embedded picture. It did not watermark the draft with the "draft stamp" at least initially. When I went back it plastered it over the headers near the top and it's pretty ugly the way they drew it. I guess I can live with that so long as it's over the headers and not the body.

Last edited by xyzzy : 3 Jan 2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 4 Jan 2019, 03:59 AM   #45
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

More "cuteness"???

I sort of class "stamping" a draft with the word "draft" as FM just trying to be cute. Well I think I found some more "cuteness"...

If you enable the reading pane you of course have your email title list on the left and the reading pane one the right. If you click the checkbox of a message on the left you see the first few lines of the message on the right. Now click another message while keeping the first message checked. Look how they show it's first few lines. They place it over the first but with the box at a slight angle.

Why couldn't they just show it below the first box where you could see the first few lines of both? Is this more "cuteness"? This can't be a bug. They have to go out of their way to draw things like that. Since I didn't previously use the reading pane was it always this way before JMAP?

Note keep clicking additional message title checkboxes to see how they continue this angled box pattern.