EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 17 Mar 2024, 07:29 PM   #1
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Services closing

Just wondering how many email providers will last as the UK is entering a recession. US ad other countries reduced available moey.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Mar 2024, 07:38 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Just wondering how many email providers will last as the UK is entering a recession. US ad other countries reduced available moey.
US economy is doing quite well and I see no reduction in the use of email for everything, so I imagine it will only be the smaller, weaker email providers that will fall by the wayside.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 11:31 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Even my email usage has gone down to virtually nothing.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2024, 11:59 PM   #4
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Until very recently, I'd have said that email was the gold standard for business communication - but personal communication is more often going through other social media channels.

I would have said that any service providing good business email would be highly likely to survive.

Recently, however, I am seeing businesses using other methods to communicate - such as online meetings, whiteboards, cloud resources and online chat. Money issues aside, I suspect to see email as a medium reducing and only the best providers surviving long-term.

(That's my view from the UK. YMMV)
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2024, 04:38 PM   #5
nosim

I have one word: Tuffmail

Why do email services disappear?

To me, the cost of all the bells and whistles added on top of email in light of our expectation for unlimited and free.

Unlimited space, unlimited emails, webmail, calendars, file storage, apps, 2FA, encryption, the gov and users serving legal claims, privacy (GDPR, encryption, …) etc. Email is no longer email.

The greed of free while there is a cost sooner or later breaks the system.

But …

Like postal mail, paper books, usenet, 9600 baud, LP's, … email will survive.

Try to do something like create a business or open a bank account without a physical address, phone number and … email. Only 66% of the world is connected and last year's growth rate was only 1.8% I foresee pain.

Now Gov's in the EU are working on banning email for official use. They try to work on with ID secured and identified communication channels for taxes, legal documents, etc. The interoperability is Europe at its best! How many times have I called and been asked … to please send an email … to call back to make sure the email was received (not in the spam box) ! Especially when they do not want to know about what you're sending.

So the question to me is not if email will still exist and be highly relevant in 10 years, but what will email's "niche" (if ever niche) use case become?
nosim is offline   Reply With Quote